PDA

View Full Version : 'Unique' AT Shelters

firemountain
03-28-2007, 08:17
There are many shelters along the trail that are different than all the rest. I enjoyed my stay at Dick's Dome Shelter around a day north of SNP. As I approached the shleter it appeared to be collapsing but upon closer inspection just has an unually design. The log book was full of debate on if it was a true geodesic dome or not and the consensus was no. The floor was in the shape of a pentagon with many bulging triangular walls. The entire outside was shingled. One of the smaller shelters on the trail also, I can't see more than four people comfortably fitting... although more in a storm is always possible.
-Early Bird

Skyline
03-28-2007, 08:48
Is the privy still up a side trail right above the water source?

firemountain
03-28-2007, 08:50
Yes, privy is located a short distance uphill from the stream.

Footslogger
03-28-2007, 09:23
Peru Peak Shelter/Lean-to, near Bennington, VT is rather unique. You have to work a bit to get there but both the design and the setting are worth the effort.

'Slogger

rafe
03-28-2007, 09:27
Hexacuba shelter, just north of Smarts Mtn. in NH.

Skyline
03-28-2007, 10:02
Yes, privy is located a short distance uphill from the stream.

Not a very smart decision to put it there. Water sources should be kept a healthy distance from a privy, and certainly the privy should not be uphill from the source.

The shelter design is not that smart either--kind of guarantees the fewest number of sleepers for the number of square feet. But the surrounding area is very attractive IMHO.

ATSeamstress
03-28-2007, 10:11
If I recall, the guidebook says not to use the water at the stream at Dick's Dome anyway. There is a very nice spring about a mile north of the shelter.

I stayed there in '05 and camped out. Nice setting. Packed in enough water for the evening, and filled up at the spring in the morning, just before two yuppie day-hikers came by with their dogs and encouraged them to "jump in and cool off". Grrrrrr

Kerosene
03-28-2007, 11:18
I liked the two-story Bryant Ridge Shelter north of Roanoke. Nice design in a nice setting, and a nice place for a relaxed lunch on a sunny Fall day.

Alligator
03-28-2007, 11:30
The old fire wardens cabin (Chestnut Knob maybe??) a little south of Bland is one I found interesting but not often mentioned.

emerald
03-28-2007, 12:04
This shelter in St. Anthony's Wilderness east of Duncannon was built by BMECC in 1973. It was designed by Len Reed who was then BMECC Shelters Chairman and incorporates a number of unusual features. At one time it was known among long-distance hikers as the Halfway Hilton.

emerald
03-28-2007, 12:28
Both shelters situated near public roads on BMECC's portion of the A.T. have a caretaker in residence. It should be understood that both shelters are intended for long-distance hikers and use by others is discouraged.

These shelters came about as a result of an unusual opportunity recognized by Len Reed, who then chaired BMECC's A.T. Corridor Management Committee. The shelters and the homes where the BMECC caretakers now reside were residual structures slated for demolition when acquired by NPS in the 1980s.

Considerable labor and cash were invested to bring these facilities up to current building codes before NPS approval could be secured by BMECC. They allow for a more complete shelter system in an area where many of the shelters near roads were removed over the years due to vandalism.

For those interested in more information about BMECC, it's history and how these buildings came to be converted into A.T. shelters go here (http://www.berkshistory.org/articles/trail.html).

Skyline
03-30-2007, 16:31
If I recall, the guidebook says not to use the water at the stream at Dick's Dome anyway. There is a very nice spring about a mile north of the shelter.

I stayed there in '05 and camped out. Nice setting. Packed in enough water for the evening, and filled up at the spring in the morning, just before two yuppie day-hikers came by with their dogs and encouraged them to "jump in and cool off". Grrrrrr

Yeah, I know how you feel. I was at Pinefield Gap Shelter in SNP once and a similarly-demographicked couple came in with their young'uns. The youngest young'en needed its diaper changed. After deleting the dirty diaper which was thrown in the firepit, she cleaned the brat's butt in the stream, then freshly diapered her. They seemed indifferent to my POV on the subject.

Re: Dick's Dome--I've read that advisory in the Wingfoot, but many folks don't carry the Wingfoot or the Companion. I'd hate to think of anyone getting sick because of a poor decision on privy placement.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-30-2007, 16:43

If you follow the water that runs past the shelter upstream a quarter mile or so, no worries. The spring you mentioned a mile away is rather famous. It actually is hidden pond drainage, but you can't see the source approaching from the dome. The pond is listed in all the yuppie dayhiker guidebooks as a great place to let your dogs take a dump, wash your baby's butt, and rinse your skivvies.

shelterbuilder
03-30-2007, 19:04
There are many shelters along the trail that are different than all the rest. I enjoyed my stay at Dick's Dome Shelter around a day north of SNP. As I approached the shleter it appeared to be collapsing but upon closer inspection just has an unually design. The log book was full of debate on if it was a true geodesic dome or not and the consensus was no. The floor was in the shape of a pentagon with many bulging triangular walls. The entire outside was shingled. One of the smaller shelters on the trail also, I can't see more than four people comfortably fitting... although more in a storm is always possible.
-Early Bird
Hi, folks - I'm new here. I stayed in Dick's Dome MANY years ago with my young son. Dick's Dome is not a "true" geodesic dome; from an engineering standpoint, you have to know what you're doing to build one (or have a really good kit!). Structures like Dick's Dome are a sort of "poor man's dome" - anyone with basic carpentry skills and some attention to detail can build one. The joint-plates are sold as a package with instructions. The "starplates" have been around for over 20 years: I've been playing with them (and design modifications to them) for almost that long. It's a "quick-up" building that's fun to play with. But shingles are NOT best way to cover the walls - it looks bloody awful.

emerald
03-30-2007, 19:31
Hi, folks - I'm new here.

:welcome to WhiteBlaze.net shelterbuilder. I am always happy to see another poster from Pennsylvania! I note you are from Berks County also.

If you were to speak loudy, maybe I could hear you from where I sit and we would not need to communicate in this manner.

trlhiker
03-30-2007, 20:25
I have always liked Paul C. Wolfe shelter in VA. It has bunks, a large covered porch and plenty of water closeby.

Marta
03-30-2007, 21:13
The Jim and Molly Denton Shelter is the bee's knees. I like the convenient water on tap, the cooking pavillion, and the porch.

I like the Rausch Gap Shelter's wonderful spring running into a trough right out front.

Eagle's Nest is sturdy as anything, and wonderfully deep. I sat out an incredible storm there.

emerald
03-30-2007, 21:43
I like Eagle's Nest Shelter too. There's someone who just posted to WhiteBlaze.net for the first time who will be pleased to hear what you just posted.

Eagle's Nest is another of BMECC's shelters. At least 5 2000 Milers contributed to its construction.

There's a photo in National Geographic's more recent book of Eagle's Nest Shelter being air lifted to Weiser State Forest. It was actually built off-site at BMECC's Rentschler Arboretum.

shelterbuilder
03-30-2007, 23:06
The Jim and Molly Denton Shelter is the bee's knees. I like the convenient water on tap, the cooking pavillion, and the porch.

I like the Rausch Gap Shelter's wonderful spring running into a trough right out front.

Eagle's Nest is sturdy as anything, and wonderfully deep. I sat out an incredible storm there.

Rausch Gap shelter is one of the coolest, most re****l shelters that I've ever been to (I just wish that the fly-boys from Fort Indiantown Gap could find somewhere else to play with their planes!). The spring is hidden under the huge rock above the shelter, and is piped behind the rock wall to the trough.

I sat out a storm at Eagle's Nest that actually spawned a tornado that did a lot of damage up in Schuylkill County (north and east of the shelter). The sky turned GREEN, and rain came down in buckets, but we were fine. It's nice to have a sturdy shelter! :D

BMECC is glad that you liked the accomodations.

shelterbuilder
03-30-2007, 23:10
:welcome to WhiteBlaze.net shelterbuilder. I am always happy to see another poster from Pennsylvania! I note you are from Berks County also.

If you were to speak loudy, maybe I could hear you from where I sit and we would not need to communicate in this manner.

:-? If I could still speak loudly, I think you know that I would. When you e-mailed me the other night, I checked out the site here, and I thought that I should join up!

Jeff
03-31-2007, 07:45
Cooper Brook Falls Lean-To in the 100 mile wilderness is located in a great spot next to a wallfall right on the trail. The falls can really thunder after a heavy rain.

I have never understood why shelters are so often a 1/4 mile or more off the AT. Many old time 2000 milers have told me most shelters 30-40 years ago were located right on the trail with a white blaze painted on the shelter.

rafe
03-31-2007, 09:00
I have never understood why shelters are so often a 1/4 mile or more off the AT. Many old time 2000 milers have told me most shelters 30-40 years ago were located right on the trail with a white blaze painted on the shelter.

A short approach trail is no problem and helps preserve the "wilderness" feel of the trail. I don't get annoyed unless the approach trail is more than, say, a half-mile or if there's a huge vertical (in either direction.) Limestone Brook Shelter (in CT) for example. In the Whites, the vertical is unavoidable (eg., Guyot Shelter or the Perch.)

shelterbuilder
04-01-2007, 18:42
A short approach trail is no problem and helps preserve the "wilderness" feel of the trail. I don't get annoyed unless the approach trail is more than, say, a half-mile or if there's a huge vertical (in either direction.) Limestone Brook Shelter (in CT) for example. In the Whites, the vertical is unavoidable (eg., Guyot Shelter or the Perch.)

A lot of the use of approach trails for shelters comes out of the fact that many hikers will "short-cut" to a shelter that's visable from the footpath, and this leads to LOTS of degradation around the shelter. The 1/4 mile distance might be because of terrain or water issues, or possibly land-ownership issues (I don't know how it is in other states, but in Pa., much of the Trail runs across state - not federal - land).

Bob Proudman's (ATC) book on trail design and Leonard's book on backcountry facilities are interesting reads that address some of this. They are very readable, and can give the ordinary hiker a new viewpoint on things that we take for granted on every trip.

Grampie
04-02-2007, 09:54
In my estimation the most unique shelter on the whole AT is the cabin shelter at Upper Goose Pond.
It is fulley inclosed, has a nice poarch, bunks to sleep on, propane lights, propane stove, two nice privies, a fire place for cold nights, swimming in a beautiful pond and a cheerfull caretaker to make you pancakes and coffee for breakfast. All for just a donation. Folks, let me tell you, it doesn't get much better than that.:)

icemanat95
04-02-2007, 11:26
Hexacuba shelter, just north of Smarts Mtn. in NH.

I love that shelter.

navy111588
04-02-2007, 14:09
ok the ten mile lean to in ct isntdifferent structure wise but the area is where the ten mile river meets the houssatonic and they get up to class 4 rapids which makes a great sound to sleep to other than the usual cricket sounds