PDA

View Full Version : Best NIGHT view on AT

firemountain
03-28-2007, 08:21
In mid December at the Jim and Molly Denton shelter (northern VA) I awoke around midnight to relieve myself and was amazed at the night sky. Countless thousands of stars were visible and I think the galaxy was also visible (I'm no astronomer). In a span of around 10 minutes more than 25 meteors streaked across my field of vision.

Undershaft
03-28-2007, 10:06
You must have had great atmospheric conditions. I've had a few nights like that. Last August I was in the whites and the conditions were very clear and cold. Probably the most amazing night sky I have seen. I also couldn't tell if I was looking at the Milky Way (I was in the valley, lots of trees) but plenty of meteors. I love nights like that.

Rain Man
03-28-2007, 10:09
My best sky view was probably while cowboy camping on Rich Mountain north of Hot Springs, NC. I hadn't seen the Milky Way like that since being a child. Didn't see as many shooting stars as you did, but saw my share that night.

One of the best earth views from the AT for me was Tray Mountain, where I could see town lights twinkle in the far far distance, both directions as I recall.

Rain:sunMan

Gaiter
03-28-2007, 10:14
best night view for me was overmtn shelter/barn, there had been a thunderstorm that rolled through, but after it past, we could still see the lightining in the background, but the sky above us was clear showing a full moon and all the stars in the sky.

DawnTreader
03-28-2007, 10:26
I started a Presidential traverse at 1:00 a.m. and the sunrise coming up over the ridge was spectacular. The stars were so bright and close.. what a night..

Gray Blazer
03-28-2007, 11:02
Whenever the pesiod meteors come around, there's always a crowd from Asheville gathered on top of Max Patch.

Kerosene
03-28-2007, 11:13
Outside of the Lakes of the Clouds Hut atop Mt. Washington last September. The number of stars and their clarity was incredible. I just stood out there and kept looking up until my neck got sore.

TJ aka Teej
03-28-2007, 11:19
I try to be at Baxter for the Perseid meteor shower. A few years back they coincided with a brilliant Aurora. A thru-hiker night climbed Katahdin to finish his AT hike and the combination really blew his mind. Kept asking if we had seen it too, and telling us about hearing the colored meteors sizzle overhead...

mudhead
03-28-2007, 11:30
Suprised someone hasn't chimed in about a lit Schlitz sign.

Hikes in Rain
03-28-2007, 11:42
Best so far was last November, at Derrick Knob shelter in the Smokies. Needed a late nite bladder relief, so slipped (noisily!) out of the shelter. Crystal clear night, with the stars looking almost close enough to touch. Since it was eight degrees out there, it didn't take long for me to get chilled to the bone and start shivering uncontrollably, forcing me to scurry back inside to my nice warm, bulky and heavy arctic weight bag, but those few moments are burned into my memory.

The General
03-28-2007, 11:54
All those pumps, bottles and varieties of ale of the Smokey Mountain Micro Brewery in Gattlingburg looked pretty good to me. My vision sort of deteriated as the night wore on though!!!!! Still have fine memories.

Lion King
03-28-2007, 11:56
Cowboy camping on the Folowing:

Little Hump
Wayah Bald
Fraconia Ridge (yea I know)

Most night hikes are always awesome when you get out of the trees.

Jim Adams
03-28-2007, 14:18
I started a Presidential traverse at 1:00 a.m. and the sunrise coming up over the ridge was spectacular. The stars were so bright and close.. what a night..

Did Lincoln, Lafayette, Garfield overnight in 1990...great stars and possibly the best sunrise that I've ever seen!

geek

MOWGLI
03-28-2007, 14:54
Almost anywhere far away from artificial lighting will do. It is especially good when the humidity is low. Wintertime offers the most reliable night sky viewing.

My guess is that New England and the Deep South would offer the best opportunities. The population in the Mid-Atlantic is such that artiifcial lighting impairs the night sky. I've had some great nights in New York & New Jersey though. Summer is tough though because of the humidity.

bigmac_in
03-28-2007, 16:25
Best night view for me is the inside of my eyelids. Mmmmm.....sleeeeeep.....

NICKTHEGREEK
03-28-2007, 16:34
In mid December at the Jim and Molly Denton shelter (northern VA) I awoke around midnight to relieve myself and was amazed at the night sky. Countless thousands of stars were visible and I think the galaxy was also visible (I'm no astronomer). In a span of around 10 minutes more than 25 meteors streaked across my field of vision.

Happens more than you'd think in that area in the winter particularly after a cold front passes clearing the air. Sky Meadows is famous for a wide expanse of sky an very little light pollution.
Not on the AT, the night sky on Adak Island in the Aleutians was breathtaking with or without the Aurora Borealis.

Moon Monster
03-28-2007, 16:41
hearing the colored meteors sizzle overhead...

I will go to the grave swearing I heard an earth-grazer crackle and sizzle when I was about 10 yrs old on the North Carolina coast one time during the Perseids. But, I think this is controversial among scientists as to whether it's possible.

BTW, city glare is the only form of pollution that would vanish at the speed of light if addressed. The town of Albuquerque, NM has an ordinance to use more directed lighting to save on energy costs and reduce light pollution.

freefall
03-28-2007, 21:20
Last April, we night hiked from Lost Mountain shelter up to Thomas Knob shelter. When we got to the top of Whitetop, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. That and low humidity gave us a great view of the sky where, among other things, we saw the Space Station go by(had someone check the coordinates afterwards to be sure). It looked like a great big ole' school bus compared to the other satelites.

Froggy
03-28-2007, 21:37
Sitting around a campfire once in Canyonlands, a friend looked up at the brilliant Milky Way, which at that moment was covering the sky from the southwest to the northeast, and said, "Just look at all that smog coming out of LA!"

kyhiker1
03-28-2007, 22:29
The most stellar light show I have ever witnessed was atop Max Patch.

rafe
03-28-2007, 22:54
I will go to the grave swearing I heard an earth-grazer crackle and sizzle when I was about 10 yrs old on the North Carolina coast one time during the Perseids. But, I think this is controversial among scientists as to whether it's possible.

I can attest to a very similar experience, on the AT, in the Whites. In fact it was the sound of the thing more than the light that attracted our attention. It was a loud hiss that came and went very suddenly -- the sound and the emitted light both ceased simultaneously. We were up on some high ridge, camped illegally. I can't remember which ridge anymore.

Best starry night I've ever seen was in the dead of winter in the Adirondacks. Amazing.

Fly By Mike
03-29-2007, 09:06
I try to be at Baxter for the Perseid meteor shower. A few years back they coincided with a brilliant Aurora.

I remember that night. Was it sometime in August 04 or 05?
I was sitting on my deck on South Twin looking across at Katahdin. I was stunned by how magnificent it was - particularly the Aurora. I remember thinking if anyone was looking at it from on top of Katahdin. Surprised now to find there was.

Jack Tarlin
03-29-2007, 09:09
I remember cowboy camping one night on the rocks on top of Baker Peak, just North of Manchester Center VT. I can't remember ever seeing more stars in my life.

Gaiter
03-29-2007, 09:16
Ms. Janet's backyard also has a great night view, since there are no trees back there. lol, but seriously, it does have a good view.

skeeterfeeder
04-01-2007, 05:33
The best night viewing I experienced was about forty miles past Monson going to Katahdin.
Around 2 am I woke up and was stunned by the numbers and brightness of the stars. I can still see it my mind.

TJ aka Teej
04-01-2007, 08:11
I remember that night. Was it sometime in August 04 or 05?
I was sitting on my deck on South Twin looking across at Katahdin. I was stunned by how magnificent it was - particularly the Aurora. I remember thinking if anyone was looking at it from on top of Katahdin. Surprised now to find there was.

Maybe '04? Wow, times flies..

> Noise: I think it must be an illusion, since you 'hear' it at the same time you see the streak. If the noise was actually related to the meteorite, the sound would be delayed quite a bit. like far off fireworks.

> Stars satellites and the spacestaion: http://www.heavens-above.com/
Is the morning star Venus or Saturn? Wanna see the Space Shuttle or print out a star map for your hike with the kids next month? Great site that'll tell you what satellites stars and planets you'll see passing overhead.

Webs
04-01-2007, 09:07
I had heard about the fireflies that all light up at once in the Smokies, and it didn't exactly sound spectacular. But one night while in teh park, I had to do a little business, and suddenly I realized I was seeing the little firefly phenomenon. A humble night view, but still one that I will smile upon for a long while.

Moon Monster
04-01-2007, 11:11
> Stars satellites and the spacestaion: http://www.heavens-above.com/

Also a great site for Iridium satellite predictions. Iridium flares are a wonderful sight.