PDA

View Full Version : NH Trails in April

Rhino-lfl
03-28-2007, 10:14
Ok, so I've been looking for a place to go in NH during April, but I'm finding that all parks, sites, parking areas, etc don't open until the ned of May (and only for weekends) and mid June for the week.

Where would you suggest for NH hiking for 2-4 day trips in April where I can park, and walk?

Thanks

Yes, it will be cold.

rafe
03-28-2007, 10:46
Ok, so I've been looking for a place to go in NH during April, but I'm finding that all parks, sites, parking areas, etc don't open until the ned of May (and only for weekends) and mid June for the week.

Where would you suggest for NH hiking for 2-4 day trips in April where I can park, and walk?

Monadnock area, or Sunapee. Or the MA mid-state trail.

TJ aka Teej
03-28-2007, 11:06
"Closed til May"?? That'll come as a big surprise to the thousands of us who use NH parking lots and trails all year 'round.

hikerzim
03-28-2007, 11:19
I agree with Terrapin_too that the Southern Mountains and trails are good choces.... certainly would be a drier experience.... Little Monadnock is also a nice day hike. On a side note does anyone know what the conditions at Mt. Lafayette would be like around May 19th? Curious if there would still be ice and snow at the higher elevations....

florigen
03-28-2007, 11:36
Probably find pockets of snow and ice scattered around the summit as well as some of the sections that dont get alot of direct sunlight. Was just up in that area last weekend and they still have alot in the woods 2-3' was not uncommon

Rhino-lfl
03-28-2007, 13:38
"Closed til May"?? That'll come as a big surprise to the thousands of us who use NH parking lots and trails all year 'round.

BUt parking overnight or for 4 days? A lot of the parks have barriers at the entrances now.

I'm just looking for a place where I can pull in and park for a few days unmolested and just hike/camp.

If you call any park or ranger station, they say you can't or they tow.

All their websites say May 27 start day.

DavidNH
03-28-2007, 14:50
You may want to consider a section of the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway This is a 50 mile trail that runs from the Summit of Mt Monadnock to the Summit of Mt Sunapee. Mt Monadnock is 3100 or so feet and the most over climbed mountain anywhere. I would suggest skipping that peak and going from route 101 to Mt Sunapee and down to parking lot. That will be just under 50 miles, doable in 4 days, and you will be below 2500 feet almost the whole time. You COULD still see snow but less likely than farther north. You WILL see some mud. And you might get a piece of bug season depending when you go.

If you don't want to deal with winter condtions, then the White Mountains are pretty much out until at least mid may.

DavidNH

rafe
03-28-2007, 15:17

Ever tried the Rattle River trailhead (Rte. 2, east of Gorham) in the dead of winter? I had to cancel an attempted winter hike, because the entire lot was under several feet of snow and snowbanks.

sixhusbands
03-28-2007, 15:38
There is a large parking lot about 3 or 4 miles east of Lincoln on Rt 112. You can easily hike 3 or 4 days into the Franconia region.where there are several shelters and a 3 huts within this region. I have hiked 3 day loops and 7 day loops from this spot.
Take crampons along if you are going above the treeline to the high ridges.
Happy hiking.

Rhino-lfl
03-28-2007, 15:44
There is a large parking lot about 3 or 4 miles east of Lincoln on Rt 112. You can easily hike 3 or 4 days into the Franconia region.where there are several shelters and a 3 huts within this region. I have hiked 3 day loops and 7 day loops from this spot.
Take crampons along if you are going above the treeline to the high ridges.
Happy hiking.

Know the name of the lot or how I can get directions?

sixhusbands
03-28-2007, 15:46
I agree with Terrapin_too that the Southern Mountains and trails are good choces.... certainly would be a drier experience.... Little Monadnock is also a nice day hike. On a side note does anyone know what the conditions at Mt. Lafayette would be like around May 19th? Curious if there would still be ice and snow at the higher elevations....

The most direct route is up the Bridal Path and past Greenleaf hut. The lower end will be wet but after the hut .. smooth sailing. If you want a real adventure ... try the Falling Waters trail up to Mt. Lincoln. That time of year .. you will know why it got its name. Always take crampons for early spring assents to the high peaks.

Rhino-lfl
03-28-2007, 15:52
The only crampon I know is my ex-gf and I go hiking to get away from her.

vegematic
03-28-2007, 16:44
Know the name of the lot or how I can get directions?

I think they are referring to Lincoln Woods. Take 93N up to Rt 112 (Kancamagus Hwy) headed east. It's a few miles along the Kanc, watch for it on the left (north) side of the road. I believe it is a WMNF Ranger station. I've never seen it unavailable for parking, even in winter.
-vegematic

hikerzim
03-28-2007, 16:51
Lafayette campground is allowed off season, reservations are allowed May 20 thru Oct. 9th from their website: "Camping with limited staffing and facilities is available at all other times of the year". The gates to the park are closed but there is parking outside of the gated park....short hike to car. Here is a the link: http://www.franconianotchstatepark.com/lafayette.html

Peaks
03-28-2007, 18:08
The national forest never closes. Many parking lots long the major highways are plowed. If you go to the White Mountain National Forest website, you can get a list of roads that are closed (like Jefferson Notch Road, Zealand Road, etc.)

However, most trail maintaining clubs strongly suggest not hiking during mud season. So, on that basis, even places like Monadnock and Wapack Trail are best if you don't try to hike them during April.

adamkrz
03-28-2007, 18:38
You can also do a couple of days thru upper CT.and lower MA. It's what I have planed for mid april,Overnight parking At lion's head lot or bear Mt. lot in Salisbury Ct..

Tin Man
03-28-2007, 21:28
You can also do a couple of days thru upper CT.and lower MA. It's what I have planed for mid april,Overnight parking At lion's head lot or bear Mt. lot in Salisbury Ct..

That area was our first section - loved it!

Rhino-lfl
03-29-2007, 16:04

Where abouts, at what point would I park? I can walk 4 miles out into my backyard and not find people, the thing I'm trying to find is a place I can drive to, park, exit, hike. There have been a few good NH suggestions I'll look inot, but I'd like to hear more about this one too.

hawkeye
03-29-2007, 16:18
I am doing the Ct section starting on the 9th of April at Kent and headed north. Nice part of the trail to do in early spring. I think you can park at the Tin Man resturant in Falls Village. Nice place to eat.(that was 3 years ago!)

Tin Man
03-29-2007, 16:56
I am doing the Ct section starting on the 9th of April at Kent and headed north. Nice part of the trail to do in early spring. I think you can park at the Tin Man resturant in Falls Village. Nice place to eat.(that was 3 years ago!)

Tin Man restaurant? :-? Well, no relation I assure you. I googled Tin Man in Falls Village and came up empty.

rafe
03-30-2007, 08:24

Rhino, someone posted this (http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/State/state_menu/at_state_menu.aspx?id=6) link on another thread. It's a detailed list and descriptions of trailheads and trailhead parking along the AT in New Hampshire. Exactly what you were looking for.

As to trail conditions in April... well, you've been warned. Bring crampons or at the very least, Yak-Trax. Be prepared for ice on the trail and high water in the streams. Let us know how it goes.