PDA

View Full Version : Versalite Super by Western Mountaineering

LIhikers
03-28-2007, 10:51
I'm wondering if any of you have first hand experience with Western Mountaineering's Versalite Super sleeping bag. If I'm reading the chart right it's rated at 10 degrees F and weighs only 2 pounds for the 6 footer length. Does this bag really live up to it's weight and temperature ratings?

Happy
03-28-2007, 22:27
I'm wondering if any of you have first hand experience with Western Mountaineering's Versalite Super sleeping bag. If I'm reading the chart right it's rated at 10 degrees F and weighs only 2 pounds for the 6 footer length. Does this bag really live up to it's weight and temperature ratings?

Ask Jan Liteshoe a member on this site...that is what she took in 2003!!

As far as I know that is a great bag for an early start prior April 1ST and will LIVE up to expectations, but would back off if taking for the entire hike and not switching off! It would get very hot in a few months, whereas the ultralite (20 degrees) or megalite (30 degrees) might make more since for a later start than March 1ST!

LIhikers
03-29-2007, 15:14
Thanks for the reply. The sleeping bag won't be for a thru hike but for cold weather backpacking that my wife and I do every year. I did use the search function of this site and only turned up a few remarks about it, they all were posative remarks. Any other experiences with this bag?

rswanson
03-29-2007, 16:31
LIhikers,

I own the Ultralight Super, which is essentially the same bag with an inch less loft (6oz less down). My bag rated at 20 degrees has been very comfortable at the temp, wearing just a lightweight baselayer and watch cap. I would expect similar performance from all WM bags so its a safe bet that an average sleeper will be comfortable at 10 degrees in the Versalite. WM is generally conservative in their ratings. Quality is top-notch, very little to improve upon. WM deserves the rep they have earned.

Your main concern will be the fit of the bag. The Versalite is cut slender. If you are broad shouldered, you might find the bag too confining. Make sure you order from a place with a good return policy (check to see if they charge a restocking fee) in case you don't like the fit.

Booley
03-29-2007, 17:26
The WM bags are definitely worth the money. Good no-snag zippers, conservative ratings, and top-notch quality. Ask any owner of a WM bag and you'll get a positive answer. Seems like some 6 foot models are cut a little tight. I have a 6 foot Alpenlite and I'm exactly 6 feet. I think if I was 6'1" this model would be too tight. I know that's due to the extra girth. Some people 5'11" to 6' are tight in WM's 6 foot models. Try to get to a WM dealer to size up which bag is right for you, especially if you're close to the max height offered in each of the three available sizes. Bomber bags in my opinion, and light in the pack!

LIhikers
03-29-2007, 18:41
Thanks for the additional replys. I stand 5'10" so I think I should be OK for the length. My current Marmot bag was listed as 64 inch shoulder girth and I've got more room than I need so the WM 62 inch girth should be OK. I'll see if I can find an actual brick and mortor outfitter, within driving range, who has the bag in stock so I can try it on for size.