PDA

View Full Version : Weather in May Springer - Smokey's

BobbyNoel
03-28-2007, 11:59
Would you please give me some advice on the potential temperature and weather for my planned section hike in May, Springer through Davenport Gap, TN?

Thanks,
Rob

eventidecu
03-28-2007, 12:55
What time in May? (Smokey's) Early May it could be very cold at night and cold during the day, Late May still could be very cold at night. I've seen it in the 40's during the day in August up on Clingmans Dome. I like to use a colder bag with full zip so you can unzip it and use it as a blanky if it's not "too" cold or get in it if it is. And do not forget your rain gear, if you don't know this already those mountains create their own weather pattern which can and will include cold rain anytime with little notice. More people get and die of hypothermia in a cold 40 degree rain than below 32 degree's.
As far as Springer to Smokey's you should be fine. I would look into leaving a mail drop at Fontana with toboggan, and gloves, and maybe long johns if your timid to cool weather. The rest of your trip you can get away with just about anything but don't get caught un prepared for the Smokey's.

eventidecu
03-28-2007, 12:57
With the thru hikers have already gone thru there will be little or no wood to burn for fire also.

DeeHiker
07-18-2007, 16:16
I'm planning on starting early May 08, first or second week probably. I was going to buy a "0" degree bag just in the event it drops down to cold temps. Do you think a "0" bag will be to hot? I can always unzip like you said. Welcome any other info about May at Springer.

Marta
07-18-2007, 19:30
For May, I'd go for a 20 instead of a zero. A zero is usually a whole lot heavier and more expensive. You should be fine with a 20, assuming you have a hat and whatnot for camp wear.

I'm a cold sleeper--a 20 is my normal "summer" bag in the southern Appalachians.

Marta/Five-Leaf

DeeHiker
07-25-2007, 15:03
Thanks
Would you recommend a down bag or synthetic bag..Help...too many to look at and read about.

Whistler
07-25-2007, 17:38
I recommend a down bag. This year I left Springer on April 22, and I did fine with a 30-degree bag, a Marmot Hydrogen. There were a couple nights in the high/mid 30s, but nothing that my bag + insulating clothing couldn't handle.

Marmot, Western Mountaineering, and Montbell all make excellent down bags with generally reliable temperature ratings. Check out their products.
-Mark

DeeHiker
07-27-2007, 09:46
Thanks Whistler!
I was thinking a down would be lighter and warmer.