PDA

View Full Version : Gear Insurance

Survivor Dave
03-28-2007, 13:29
I would like to know if anyone knows of gear insurance. I want to use it not only for here, but for traveling abroad.
If my gear gets stolen at my home I'm covered, but no provision for when I go hiking.

I have checked the links here on the WB and was not able to find anything. I checked for travelers insurance on the net, but that pretty much covers trip cancellations, and personal health emergencies.

Besides keeping a watchful eye 24/7, I don't know at this time of any other way.

Any suggestions? :-?

Thanks,

Big Maguro

Old Grouse
03-28-2007, 13:58
Perhaps someone has looked into trip insurance. You may find a policy that will cover your gear, plus perhaps some other coverage you might find worthwhile. I don't know what the cost would be, but would like to hear.

Tabasco
03-28-2007, 14:13
Homeowners insurance covers items like that, but I would be VERY reluctant to submit a claim for what at most would be a thousand dollars of stuff.

Survivor Dave
03-28-2007, 14:19
I happened to stumble across this site.

A company abroad.

http://www.globetrekkers.com/sport-activities-hiking-gear.html

Tabasco, my homeowners insurance does not cover anything outside my 4 walls pretty much.

Still looking for more suggestions.

Maguro

Old Grouse
03-28-2007, 14:28
I should think the ATC could put together a coverage package for its members and maybe even raise funds that way.

Survivor Dave
03-28-2007, 14:43
That is a pretty good idea. I would hope that folks wouldn't abuse it by say.... Claiming a Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bag when they took there old Boy/Girl Scout Bag!

I wouldn't put it past some folks.:cool:

I will call them and see if they know of this.

Maguro

I should think the ATC could put together a coverage package for its members and maybe even raise funds that way.

Old Grouse
03-28-2007, 14:51
Check this site. http://www.worldnomads.com/pricesandbenefits.aspx?affiliate=bsthke&Country=USA

Toolshed
03-28-2007, 15:01
All the gear insurance you need sits right between your ears and it is free..

Survivor Dave
03-28-2007, 15:13
Thanks Grouse.

For 2 weeks insurance at $54, I'm there. Same price for the States as well as worldwide.:sun

It covers up to $1000 U.S. Dollars for gear. They have it broken down into "The Big 4" and "the Little 4".

It covers a bunch of other stuff. I need to do some checking up on the company, but I don't think I will have a problem.

Thanks again all for your time and efforts!!!!

Big Maguro

Check this site. http://www.worldnomads.com/pricesandbenefits.aspx?affiliate=bsthke&Country=USA

Tabasco
03-28-2007, 15:14
If I may ask, what homeowners ins. do you carry? Most policies cover trip related losses as described in this scenario. I know mine does, but, again, never in a million years would I claim against it.

jesse
03-28-2007, 15:22
I doubt very seriously that you will get a good deal on insuring property such as hiking gear. The dollar value is too low. It is probably not a good idea to insure any piece of property with less than a $1,000 deductible. If you carry that high a deductible it just would not be worth while.

The best deal might be to ask your Homeowners agent if you could get a specific endorsement on your homeowners policy Still I doubt it would be a good deal..

jesse
03-28-2007, 15:27
Sorry I posted before reply #9.
$54 for two weeks equals $1400 per year.

I do not think that is a good deal!

Survivor Dave
03-28-2007, 15:28
That's a good idea as well. Thanks, I'll check it out.

I doubt very seriously that you will get a good deal on insuring property such as hiking gear. The dollar value is too low. It is probably not a good idea to insure any piece of property with less than a $1,000 deductible. If you carry that high a deductible it just would not be worth while.

The best deal might be to ask your Homeowners agent if you could get a specific endorsement on your homeowners policy Still I doubt it would be a good deal..

Survivor Dave
03-28-2007, 15:34
This was primarily for 2 weeks in Peru on the Inca Trail. I won't need it all year.
While I'm on the AT, I can keep a better eye on it than some hotel where pickpocketing is high and you don't know about the Hotel/Hostel there very much. You are right, $1,400 is insane. I don't pay that for auto or homeowners combined 2 fold!

Maguro

Sorry I posted before reply #9.
$54 for two weeks equals $1400 per year.

I do not think that is a good deal!

The Weasel
03-28-2007, 15:41
Homeowners insurance covers items like that, but I would be VERY reluctant to submit a claim for what at most would be a thousand dollars of stuff.

Tabasco, take a look at my "Law for Backpackers" article in the articles section. I cover this.

Briefly, most homeowners/renters insurance policies will cover losses from theft, fire and other covered perils, even away from your home. Deductibles often (but not always) apply, so check on it.

As for "at most a thousand dollars," many/most policies cover items on a replacement basis. It's not uncommon for people to be carrying a pack with gear and clothing worth up to $2-3,000. That makes it worth it.

You can also hedge your bet by changing your deductible to a low one for the short time (5-6 months) you will be on the trail, and the cost may not be unreasonable.

The Weasel

jesse
03-28-2007, 16:04
For 2 weeks. That is $3,86/day. If it helps you sleep at night, then its worth it. Its cheaper than booze.
Sounds like an adventure. Have fun!

Tabasco
03-28-2007, 16:10
As for "at most a thousand dollars," many/most policies cover items on a replacement basis. It's not uncommon for people to be carrying a pack with gear and clothing worth up to $2-3,000. That makes it worth it.

Ummmmmm, that is exactly what I said good counselor. And, if you check on what happens when you file a $ 3,000 clain on your homeowners insurance, you will discover that they will recoup that $ 3,000 in approx 2 years through elevated premiums as a "high risk" insured.

On a side note, please spell out what a hiker is carrying that can cost $ 3000?
GEAR, not a one carat diamond in his back pocket.

to hell with gear weight spreadsheets, I wanna see the $ 3000 pack list. Sgt Rock has the $ 300 challenge. I wanna see the $ 3,000 challenge. Anyone?

Alligator
03-28-2007, 16:18
Ummmmmm, that is exactly what I said good counselor. And, if you check on what happens when you file a $ 3,000 clain on your homeowners insurance, you will discover that they will recoup that $ 3,000 in approx 2 years through elevated premiums as a "high risk" insured.

On a side note, please spell out what a hiker is carrying that can cost $ 3000?
GEAR, not a one carat diamond in his back pocket.

to hell with gear weight spreadsheets, I wanna see the $ 3000 pack list. Sgt Rock has the $ 300 challenge. I wanna see the $ 3,000 challenge. Anyone?http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9807&page=3
Post #86:)

The Weasel
03-28-2007, 16:38

Well, you're wrong, as usual, Tabasco. This time, almost a record: Wrong twice in one post. First, that's not what you said. Second, most insurance companies will not bust your premium until you file multiple claims, usually 3. One claim for $3,000 (less the deductible) won't do it. It also depends on the amount of the claim; those companies that will raise premiums usually do so only if one of the claims is over a set amount, such as 7,500.

If in doubt, contact your agent. But you're wrong, Tabasco. Sorry; no cigar.

The Weasel

The Weasel
03-28-2007, 16:39
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9807&page=3
Post #86:)

Saved me the effort. I don't think that list has a cell phone on it, either, which is worth anothe couple hundred (either list or by cost of a new activation).

Thanks, Alligator.

The Weasel

Alligator
03-28-2007, 17:06
Saved me the effort. I don't think that list has a cell phone on it, either, which is worth anothe couple hundred (either list or by cost of a new activation).

Thanks, Alligator.

The WeaselYW. Personally, I'm about $1500 w/camera and expensive watch. I'd guess about 75% of hikers are under $2000.

The Weasel
03-28-2007, 18:34
YW. Personally, I'm about $1500 w/camera and expensive watch. I'd guess about 75% of hikers are under $2000.

Go price things in today's prices. Bet you are low by at least 50% for replacement cost.

The Weasel

Tabasco
03-28-2007, 20:41
Weasel:

Are you a professional A-hole or did you retain your amateur status?

Your legal knowledge may be accurate, but your insurance accumen is laughable. File a $ 2,000 claim on your homeowners insurance and report back soon. I don't need to contact an agent, maybe you can deduce why with that Clarence Darrow like mind of yours.

Re-read my original post, I did say that the loss of items AWAY from home are usually covered, I did not say sans deductible, as that is a given.

I have defended you in the past, as you have PMed me in the past thanking me for doing so. Don't plan on that happening again.

Survivor Dave
03-28-2007, 21:20
You know,

I started this thread in hopes of finding insurance for my gear.

To those of you have made intelligent, well thought out advice, I thank you. I have located 2 good companies.

Something I just don't understand at WB.

Why is there so much bulls**t going on that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread? If you don't have something constructive, or even constructively funny to tell others, stay off, or start your own thread in the children's section.

There are folks here that are...we'll say, that are around 40 or older that have nothing better to do than piss off other hikers.

Get a life already!

If you have energy to burn, grow a pair and go hike somewhere instead of hiding out here and using it as a lonely hearts club.

Some of us really like the fellowship of other hikers and take their advice.

I have a great sense of humor, but I don't get personal even if the other person(s) are real A-Holes.

ENOUGH ALREADY--GROW UP FOR Benton MacKaye's sake will you!

Maguro

weary
03-28-2007, 22:17
I happened to stumble across this site.

A company abroad.

http://www.globetrekkers.com/sport-activities-hiking-gear.html

Tabasco, my homeowners insurance does not cover anything outside my 4 walls pretty much.

Still looking for more suggestions.

Maguro
I would start by looking for a better Homeowner's policy.

fiddlehead
03-28-2007, 22:31
I've been traveling for about 25 years and before i started, i asked my insurance man about this potential loss. He assured me that my homeowners policy covers everything. I only ever had one problem and that was when my skis were stolen in PA. I got about $600 back and used the money for a trip to, coincidently, the Inca trail in Peru. I bought some used skis and had a wonderful 2 month trip also.
I never had anything else stolen except once in St. Louis someone stole my toilet articles.
If you don't have homeowner's insurance, just watch your stuff and don't let it out of your sight and save yourself some money.
I will say that South America has a high crime rate though and some folks get robbed at gunpoint there. but it's still not as high as the US. Just be streetsmart and aware.
(maybe you could also take gear you could buy at thrift stores and rent the tent/sleeping bag/ expensive stuff down there) there are plenty of companies in Cusco providing this service.

hikerjohnd
03-28-2007, 22:54
If you choose to make a claim on your homeowners policy be careful - most insurance companies do not like to deal with small claims. My wife lost her engagement ring and we filed a claim. They paid, but sent us a warning that if we submitted another claim we would be dropped. About a month later all of my tools were stolen - I filed a claim and again we were threatened with cancellation. We were not dropped, but I will always hesitate before I file a claim on something that is not a part of the house.

Survivor Dave
03-28-2007, 23:05
Thanks Fiddlehead.

The hiking tour company has provided me with a wealth of info as far as gear and such. I will only have to take my bag, pad, and pack pretty much, along with other personal essentials. the "temp" insurance covers a good bit. If the gear is less than 12 months old, they will cover 90% with NO deductible. From 12 months to 18, it drops to about 75% or so.
I have been warned about the thefts and will be on guard. I don't want to replace what I take as it is pretty personal to me. Like I said in previous posts on this thread, for $54(2 weeks insurance), it is worth it to me. I checked out the company and they are on the up and up.

There are Homeowners policies that do cover out of house theft and such, but the premiums do not substantiate the extra expense. For a couple of weeks and less than $1000 in what I need to take, it's worth it to me.

Thanks,

Maguro

I've been traveling for about 25 years and before i started, i asked my insurance man about this potential loss. He assured me that my homeowners policy covers everything. I only ever had one problem and that was when my skis were stolen in PA. I got about $600 back and used the money for a trip to, coincidently, the Inca trail in Peru. I bought some used skis and had a wonderful 2 month trip also.
I never had anything else stolen except once in St. Louis someone stole my toilet articles.
If you don't have homeowner's insurance, just watch your stuff and don't let it out of your sight and save yourself some money.
I will say that South America has a high crime rate though and some folks get robbed at gunpoint there. but it's still not as high as the US. Just be streetsmart and aware.
(maybe you could also take gear you could buy at thrift stores and rent the tent/sleeping bag/ expensive stuff down there) there are plenty of companies in Cusco providing this service.

Happy
03-28-2007, 23:07
You ARE insured against loss of gear under your homeowners...however it has changed over the past 5-8 years...they WILL CANCELL for small claims...increase your deductable to $1000 or MORE and do NOT file claims except for total loss. etc.

Best protection is to watch your gear and DO NOT depend on homeowners insurance without chance of cancellation!!!

Survivor Dave
03-29-2007, 00:58
I have made my decision on insurance. I will not play around with my homeowners insurance for gear. I see that you are in the insurance business Happy. Thanks for the advice, but no thanks.

You ARE insured against loss of gear under your homeowners...however it has changed over the past 5-8 years...they WILL CANCELL for small claims...increase your deductable to $1000 or MORE and do NOT file claims except for total loss. etc.

Best protection is to watch your gear and DO NOT depend on homeowners insurance without chance of cancellation!!!

Alligator
03-29-2007, 09:34
Go price things in today's prices. Bet you are low by at least 50% for replacement cost.

The WeaselThat'll be $1453.50 at today's prices:D.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the remaining 25% (>$2000) is "not uncommon".

Having a good idea of the cost of one's gear is vitally important in deciding the type of coverage and/or whether to pursue a claim.