PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Starting around June 20th?

appalachian.jackson
03-28-2007, 15:25
Just checking to see how alone or how lucky I may be.

TJ aka Teej
03-28-2007, 16:38

Not alone, Jackson! If the trend holds there'll be dozens and dozens of MEGAs already ahead of you.

hammock engineer
03-28-2007, 17:07
I hope to be on the trail a couple weeks ahead of you.

warraghiyagey
03-29-2007, 01:58
Check out 2007 thru hiker's registry and 2007 SOBO's.
I left on June 28th last year and had no shortage of hikers ahead of me, with me and behind me. Enjoy the trail. And the SOBO experience. And welcome to WB.
Peace
Warraghiyagey
SOBO7

SuicidalSlinky
04-02-2007, 15:46
Well, I JUST joined WB and have every hope of starting around June 15 as a SOBO. See you there!

Small Steps
04-02-2007, 16:06

Are going NOBO or SOBO?

I will be starting a seciton hike at Springer to ? (22-23 days) on June 14th. Was going to start on the weekend but you now have to stay two nights on the weekends.:mad:

Jester2000
04-02-2007, 21:02
I think your trail name should be Appalaction Jackson.

rbrfuture
05-24-2007, 13:34
Hi,
I'm planning to start my SOBO within a week after June 23.

Phreak
05-24-2007, 15:59
June 26th for me.

hammock engineer
05-24-2007, 19:10
I'll either be starting that weekend or the weekend before, not sure which yet.

rasudduth
05-26-2007, 19:01
I am starting June 24th. I know of another lad starting the same day and 2 starting June 25th.

onicoe
05-26-2007, 21:21
there seems to be a lot of end june dates. is that common?

sandy18
01-06-2008, 15:17
Im going around June 14, since that is the last week of school! Is anyone going around there? Because i have no one to go with.

Doughnut
01-06-2008, 19:13
Im going around June 14, since that is the last week of school! Is anyone going around there? Because i have no one to go with.

I think this thread was started for the 2007 season;

However, I am planning to hike Maine, and Possibly NH/VT this summer, starting around Jun 21. My last day for school is Jun 16th. My departure will depend on the forcasted black fly crop. I understand this year wasn't too bad because of drought however when they are bad, it's best to wait till July.
taking AMTRAK to ME from Savannah, GA.

PM me if you're interested, I'll send my itenery when I have one,
Also, I believe RedHat and a few others will be there shortly after your time.

boarstone
01-08-2008, 08:55
there seems to be a lot of end june dates. is that common?

Believe you me, this year's SOBO 'ders will be facing heavy black fly infestation, high water, blowdowns, mud mud and more mud....we have a heavy snow pack up here in the "One hundred mile wilderness" this winter. It will be interesting to see if Mt. Katahdin will be climbable by June. There is over 6+ of snow pack in K.I./Jo-Mary lowlands with the mountains having more. Add to this a rainy spring and flooding will occur. I try to keep updates in the spring on conditions up here as the hiking season starts....stay tuned...:(

kayak karl
01-08-2008, 09:06
im starting in june. didn't pick date yet

Doughnut
01-08-2008, 17:23
Believe you me, this year's SOBO 'ders will be facing heavy black fly infestation, high water, blowdowns, mud mud and more mud....we have a heavy snow pack up here in the "One hundred mile wilderness" this winter. It will be interesting to see if Mt. Katahdin will be climbable by June. There is over 6+ of snow pack in K.I./Jo-Mary lowlands with the mountains having more. Add to this a rainy spring and flooding will occur. I try to keep updates in the spring on conditions up here as the hiking season starts....stay tuned...:(

thanks Boarstone, greatly appreciated,
dough Nut

Doughnut
01-08-2008, 17:25
im starting in june. didn't pick date yet

I'm looking Jun 23 ish, out of school, dependant on the black fly crop, or I may say heck with it, and go anyway.

quasarr
01-20-2008, 19:47

oh no! I know we'll have to see how things look to be sure, but is it possible a July start will avoid these problems?

ScottP
01-20-2008, 20:20
People say those sorts of things about snow pack every year--I wouldn't worry about it too much.

kayak karl
01-20-2008, 20:51
picked my date june 4th:sun anyone else?

vonfrick
01-20-2008, 22:41
going kilington to katahdin starting around june 21st depending on end of school year- see you along the way!

warraghiyagey
01-20-2008, 23:54

Way too early in the season for these kind of unnecessary scare tactics. Last spring saw Heavy snow fall in Marcxh an April and I summitted the Hunt Trail on June 1st. Don't let anyone scare you off, even if they live in Maine. It's a big state with some misguided folk here and there. There's plenty of good Maine folk who are more knowledgeable than this detritus.
You'll be able to hike out at the begiining of June if you like.
Enjoy.:):):)

ryan207
02-02-2008, 14:25
you'll get eaten alive no matter what.

boarstone
02-09-2008, 16:10
Way too early in the season for these kind of unnecessary scare tactics. Last spring saw Heavy snow fall in Marcxh an April and I summitted the Hunt Trail on June 1st. Don't let anyone scare you off, even if they live in Maine. It's a big state with some misguided folk here and there. There's plenty of good Maine folk who are more knowledgeable than this detritus.
You'll be able to hike out at the begiining of June if you like.
Enjoy.:):):)

Last year that was the ONLY snow we had...excuse me...see where he lives?:D

warraghiyagey
02-09-2008, 16:14
oh no! I know we'll have to see how things look to be sure, but is it possible a July start will avoid these problems?
Maine received a few late season heavy snowstorms last April. I was at Katahdin Stream May 30. No such problems. Enjoy your hike.:)

Blissful
02-09-2008, 17:00

We saw quite a few SOBOs that had started around then, trucking south. Have a great time!!!

Old Hillwalker
02-09-2008, 18:25
Arriving in the Park 24 June early as the shuttle can get me in there. Departing South, fly rod in hand, as soon as I can get big "K" done. Fly rod gets mailed home to NH from Andover. Prime Brookie season:D

Almost There
02-09-2008, 18:38
Leaving for a hike on June 10th.

Brushfire
02-09-2008, 19:15
I'll be starting around June 13-16. I probably wont buy plane tickets until April, though, so this is definitely subject to change. Definitely bringing as much deet as the law allows and a head net.

Brian

naturejunkie
02-11-2008, 11:14
I think I will be in Millinocket on June 21st, Baxter on the 22nd. See you peeps on the trail. Peace.

warraghiyagey
02-11-2008, 11:55
I think I will be in Millinocket on June 21st, Baxter on the 22nd. See you peeps on the trail. Peace.
Good luck on your hike. Hope you're not intimidated by log crossings anymore.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif
We'll be a couple weeks ahead of you. Have fun Chris.:sun:sun