PDA

View Full Version : NH - May 19-20 Weekend?

Tin Man
03-28-2007, 18:07
We are planning to do Glencliff to Kinsman Notch/Rt. 112 around May 19-20 weekend. What can we expect in terms of trail/weather/bug conditions at that time? Thanks in advance!

TJ aka Teej
03-28-2007, 18:26
Wet trail still, some blackflies, no skeeters, lots of springtime flowers and birds. I doubt any snow at all.

Tin Man
03-28-2007, 19:25
Wet trail still, some blackflies, no skeeters, lots of springtime flowers and birds. I doubt any snow at all.

Thanks Teej! I think the trail is always wet in New England. At least it has been for us every fall. Avoiding snow and ice is a good deal - especially going north over Moosilauke! We are hoping the black flies can control themselves and not bother us too much.

Frosty
03-28-2007, 19:39
Thanks Teej! I think the trail is always wet in New England. At least it has been for us every fall. Coming down the Beaver Brook Trail into Kinsman Notch in May will give you a whole new definition of a wet trail :D

Let us know how you made out.

DavidNH
03-28-2007, 19:54
Going from Glencliff to Kinsman Notch May 19-20,

Yes plenty of water, wet, and even mud. bug dope down low.

Very possible that you will run into snow on the summit of Moosilauke. There may be no snow, there could easily be 1-2 feet of wet snow up there as well. Therefore, you may very well discover the joys of postholing!!
Still, it is very unlikely you would need to have snow shoes as any snow is likely to be limited to over 4000 feet by this time, perhaps 3500 or so in the very shaded and north facing areas.

Check on the weather report before you go. You want the AMC forecasts for the higher peaks. This time of year there is a major difference from valleys to summits.

David

Tin Man
03-28-2007, 20:00
Coming down the Beaver Brook Trail into Kinsman Notch in May will give you a whole new definition of a wet trail :D

Let us know how you made out.

That's what we would like to avoid. In fact, we begged off in October when we cut our hike short in Glencliff due to the forecast for heavy rain, maybe thunder and frost in the morning on top of an already very wet trail.

Tin Man
03-28-2007, 20:02
Going from Glencliff to Kinsman Notch May 19-20,

Yes plenty of water, wet, and even mud. bug dope down low.

Very possible that you will run into snow on the summit of Moosilauke. There may be no snow, there could easily be 1-2 feet of wet snow up there as well. Therefore, you may very well discover the joys of postholing!!
Still, it is very unlikely you would need to have snow shoes as any snow is likely to be limited to over 4000 feet by this time, perhaps 3500 or so in the very shaded and north facing areas.

Check on the weather report before you go. You want the AMC forecasts for the higher peaks. This time of year there is a major difference from valleys to summits.

David

Postholing is not our style. I agree, we will need to follow the AMC forecast and check conditions at the last minute for a go/no go decision.

Sparkplug
03-28-2007, 21:47
I think the best place for trail conditions in New England is VFTT (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com). There are typically lots of up-to-date posts about trail conditions from NH, so you should be able to glean information there about what to expect.

Just a word of caution... as a ME/NH hiker, I wouldn't bet on no snow or ice in mid-May! You'd be surprised how long the snow and ice can last on packed out, wooded trails. But as it is New England, you never know :D

In any event, enjoy your hike! Moosilauke is a great summit :)

-Sparkplug

Tin Man
03-28-2007, 21:57
I think the best place for trail conditions in New England is VFTT (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com). There are typically lots of up-to-date posts about trail conditions from NH, so you should be able to glean information there about what to expect.

Just a word of caution... as a ME/NH hiker, I wouldn't bet on no snow or ice in mid-May! You'd be surprised how long the snow and ice can last on packed out, wooded trails. But as it is New England, you never know :D

In any event, enjoy your hike! Moosilauke is a great summit :)

-Sparkplug

Thanks Sparkplug. Ah, the VFTT looks like a photography sales website - where are the conditions? Ah-ha, I found them with a google. Thanks again!

Frosty
03-28-2007, 23:51
That's what we would like to avoid. In fact, we begged off in October when we cut our hike short in Glencliff due to the forecast for heavy rain, maybe thunder and frost in the morning on top of an already very wet trail.Yeah, that trail is always wet. In April/May parts of it become an alternate drainage for the brook that runs next to it.

You are probably better off this year than most, though, because of the reduced snow/snowmelt. Still, allow plenty of time for that last three miles from the summit to the notch.

Undershaft
03-29-2007, 13:38
VFTT is a great site for recent trail conditions or any kind of info on hiking in New England and New York. I've gotten tons of great info and advice from the folks on VFTT. Good luck on your hike! PS-don't let the sign at the top of the Beaver Brook trail scare you!

Tin Man
03-29-2007, 15:45
PS-don't let the sign at the top of the Beaver Brook trail scare you!

I have seen pics of the vertically inclination of the trail north of Beaver Brook shelter and quite frankly I, uh, have some concerns. :o How difficult is the trail through there anyway?

illusionistG
03-29-2007, 15:55
Tinman....the descent from the "moose" down to the notch is one of the steepest in the Whites. You might want to think about a pair of good gloves. There are "holds" on the way down to use for guidance, and with the wet trail conditions normal for that time of year they come in handy. Believe me the altititude, weather, and water in the whites in May can still be very cold. Best of luck. Bring a camera, good route for pix.

rafe
03-29-2007, 16:10
I have seen pics of the vertically inclination of the trail north of Beaver Brook shelter and quite frankly I, uh, have some concerns. :o How difficult is the trail through there anyway?

The descent off Moosilauke via Beaver Brook trail is incredibly steep. Well, the bottom 2/3, anyway. It's not so much hiking as clambering. Nothing technical, but you're using your hands all the time. This is one of those places where hiking poles are useless. (IMO). The good news is that you don't need to worry about water.

Tin Man
03-29-2007, 16:58
The descent off Moosilauke via Beaver Brook trail is incredibly steep. Well, the bottom 2/3, anyway. It's not so much hiking as clambering. Nothing technical, but you're using your hands all the time. This is one of those places where hiking poles are useless. (IMO). The good news is that you don't need to worry about water.

Thanks TT and thanks everyone else. The May dates may not work after all. We shall see.

Tin Man
05-10-2007, 23:06
Well we are closing in our planned dates for hiking over Moosilauke and I cannot seem to convince my brother that snow is a bad thing or that it will still be there when we plan to hike. We have been following VFTT trail conditions and it sounds like post-holing below treeline is still a possibility next weekend. Since another thread warns that black fly season is warming up in Maine, I am wondering if the post-holing trick is really a trap concocted by the black flies to slow their victims down long enough to do their vampire thing? :-?

Anyone know if the North side, meaning the steep side, of Moosilauke gets good sun in the morning at this time of year? I was not thinking in terms of tanning. I was just wondering if any overnight icing had a good chance of melting off in the morning.

Frosty
05-10-2007, 23:33
Anyone know if the North side, meaning the steep side, of Moosilauke gets good sun in the morning at this time of year? The north side of anything doesn't get good sun in the morning any time of year :D

Tin Man
05-11-2007, 06:50
The north side of anything doesn't get good sun in the morning any time of year :D

That's helpful. ;) I was referring to going northbound on the trail, which can be east, south, maybe west or even north!

Tin Man
05-21-2007, 23:05
Trail conditions I posted on VFTT:

Hiked up south side of Moosilauke in light rain where we encountered some hard-packed snow/icy patches from ~3500 feet to Carriage Road - not a problem. Trail was mostly under water on AT on Carriage Road to final climb to summit. Wind and rain picked up above tree line where there is no snow or ice. Summitted, smiled into the cold wind and rain and quickly moved north. Heading north, below tree line the wind died down and snow is still very prevalent and 2-3 feet deep in places down to ~2000 feet. Snow here was softer and less icy than south side. We were able to stay on top of the snow most of the time and only post-holed a few times. From Beaver Brook Shelter to route 112, in additon to snow conditions, the trail is very wet with water running down and over the trail in many places. Steps/rebar area was clear and safe though. Following the posted sign warning to take extreme cautions in wet/icy from Ridge Trail down to route 112, we went slow and completed this section in 2.5 hours.

No special equipment taken or needed.

Awesome hike in spite of the conditions.

Thanks all for your advice!

rafe
05-22-2007, 09:41
Trail conditions I posted on VFTT:
<...snip...>
Awesome hike in spite of the conditions. Thanks all for your advice!

And thanks for the report. Glad the hike went well. Been years since I've hiked Moosilauke. It's pretty much where my hiking career began, so I have lots of fond memories.

It was a very wet weekend here in Boston; it rained pretty much non-stop from some time Thursday until some time Sunday night. We're not just talking a bit of drizzle, either. I was kinda glad to be indoors, to tell the truth.