PDA

View Full Version : towns and cities passed along the trail

butter123
03-28-2007, 18:55
are there any towns or cities that thrue hikers go by (withen close proximity to the trail) that i can cach a flight from to take a week off.

Jester2000
03-28-2007, 19:14
Well, there's Tri-Cities airport in Tennessee, which is pretty close. Up north there's a small airport in Harrisburg. A better option might be a train trip into NYC, which can be done right from the trail (or by bus from Delaware Water Gap). You could also get into DC by train from near harper's for the 4th, although I don't recommend that.

You may want to keep in mind that you're not working, though, so there's nothing to "take off" from. Your hike is the "taking off" part.

Toolshed
03-28-2007, 19:24
30 minute drive frm TH at Palmerton (or the next 20 miles N or S) to Lehigh Valley International Airport

Jester2000
03-28-2007, 19:40
Trust me, butter. Once you've been on the trail for a while, you'll realize that you can get anywhere from anywhere pretty easily. How do you think Baltimore Jack gets from New Hampshire to Georgia without a car or a plane? He just does it, and so will you if you want to.

butter123
03-28-2007, 19:51
im not worried about not finnishing but i wanted to go to vagas for a couple of days in the middle of the hike

Skidsteer
03-28-2007, 22:08
im not worried about not finnishing but i wanted to go to vagas for a couple of days in the middle of the hike

Not finishing?

I don't think anybody brought that up.

warraghiyagey
03-29-2007, 01:37

That might make for an interesting thread. How many thrus have taken a Trail Vacation to Vegas. Sounds fun. Like A strawberry jelly and Hellman's mayonaise sandwich. They don't sound like they go togther but I guess they do.
Enjoy the trail. Enjoy Vegas.:) :)

Jester2000
03-29-2007, 18:08
VSA went to France in the middle of her hike. Not sure if she forded the Atlantic or not, though.

map man
03-30-2007, 21:25
I believe the two closest airports to the trail with major airline service are Roanoke VA and Harrisburg PA. Both are close enough that you could get cab service to get you to or from the nearest point on the trail (near Daleville in the case of Roanoke; US11 between Carlisle and Harrisburg in the case of Harrisburg). Roanoke is just over 700 trail miles from Springer and Harrisburg is a little over 1100.

DavidNH
03-30-2007, 21:59
Well..you can hike right into Deleware Water Gap, PA. Spend night in free hostel, then get bus, cab, or hitch ride (couple miles) to bus station and daily bus to NYC. Can't get much easier than that.

From Harpers Ferry, WV there is a train you can take to Washington DC.

From Hanover, NH you can get a bus to Boston. Or local bus to White River, Jct VT and bus to many places. Bus even from here to Montreal.

From Pinkham Notch Camp in the White mtns there is one bus a day I think to Boston, MA.

Far as smaller towns go (as opposed to cities) I think thant Hot Springs, NC, Erwin, TN, Damascs, VA, Perrisburg, VA Waynesboro, VA are all fine towns.

Once you get up to Maine, might as well enjoy the trail..you aint gonna be close to much of anything.. 'cept some fine scenerey!

David

DavidNH
03-30-2007, 22:02
Sorry..

I just re-read your post... I see you want to get right off of trail somewhere and take a plain

Well..the bus rides I mentioned will get youto airports.

However, from Hanover, NH there is a small airport in Lebanon, NH you can fly regionally.

Other than that I am not familiar.

David