PDA

View Full Version : Safe place to park to access the AT in Maryland

Monello
03-29-2007, 07:05
Ciao,
I'm looking to do a few days AT hike in Maryland. Can anyone recommend a safe place to park while I'm out? Anywhere between Harpers ferry and PenMar would be considered. If you can include a few 'must see/do' things that would be great. Thanks in advance.

v/r,

Monello

Newb
03-29-2007, 08:04
The outfitter at Harpers Ferry will shuttle you for a fee. This is important because the safest place to park is at the visitors parking lot in Harpers Ferry. It's patrolled by the Park Service. A great hike is to park there and hike north to Crampton Gap (about a days hike away) and then head north from there.

Crampton Gap has relatively safe parking in that it's open and has a lot of traffic. The parking lot gate is closed at night. I've parked there with no problems.

Dahlgren campground has parking and is also relatively safe, once again due to traffic.

There's trail access at the I-70 ovepass, but I wouldn't consider it safe for long term parking.

DGrav
03-29-2007, 11:33
I have parked at Dahlgren a couple times with no problems.

The Maryland section of the AT is great. Lots of historical sites to see. It is a shame a lot of people rush through it doing the 4 state challenge

The South Mountain Inn has great food and is reasonable for a fancy restaurant. Plus they treat hikers very well. Example, instead of doing a traditional bachelor party me and my best man hiked the MD section of the AT. We stayed at Dahlgren one night and ate at the bar in the Inn. Once the bartender found out it was my pseudo bachelor party we didn't pay for a drink the whole night! And we got to watch baseball on a small TV behind the bar. Perfect!

Alligator
03-29-2007, 11:41
I parked for a week in the lot on Rt40, near the I70 footbridge and Greenbrier St. Park. If I remember correctly, the ranger at the SP told me they patrol that lot. I had no problems there.

Brushy Sage
03-29-2007, 15:12
Washington Monument State Park has parking, a register for AT hikers, and the gate is closed at night.

sparky2000
03-29-2007, 15:32
Ask the Harpers Ferry Hostel. They have plenty of room for hiking.

Cheesewhiz
03-29-2007, 17:45
There is a new hostel in MD named the Free State, It is new this year and opened for hikers by a hiker(Bone pac 2006)
Shoot him a line, maybe there is something he can do to help out, I don't know. But its worth a shot.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=169959

Newb
04-02-2007, 14:10
I parked for a week in the lot on Rt40, near the I70 footbridge and Greenbrier St. Park. If I remember correctly, the ranger at the SP told me they patrol that lot. I had no problems there.

I stand corrected. I do know that the owner of that biker bar across from Greenbrier park has been known to let intoxicated hikers tent in the woods next to the bar. I wouldn't suggest going there with that as a plan, however.