PDA

View Full Version : planter fasciitis trail runners/shoes

Freeleo
03-29-2007, 12:37
any suggestions for lightweight hiking trail shoes with maximum support and cushion....(maximum cushion to weight ratio in mind):confused:

looking for suggestions.......i dont really want boots

cheers
jch

max patch
03-29-2007, 12:45
When I had PF my doc recommended I use Superfeet insoles.

A couple years ago Chris wrote a review of several popular trail runners. Perhaps someone who can navigate this website better than me can give you a link to it.

Freeleo
03-29-2007, 12:53
thanks max patch

much appreciated

Fannypack
03-29-2007, 13:03
i use New Balance 800 series, they have extra width which is helpful to me.. also since getting plantar faiciitis on the PCT I have used Superfeet. Of course, I am not sure if the Superfeet help or not during my PCT hike because I had the ache (plantar faiciitis) in the bottom of my foot for the rest of the hike and Ecotrin let me finish.

Since returning home after PCT hike i have had a doctor tell me to stretch my achilles to avoid plantar faiciitis. I have done that stretch & it seems to work, of course, my longest hike since the PCT has been 5 days...

Stretch, stretch, stretch ................

oldfivetango
03-29-2007, 15:07
www.footsmart.com (http://www.footsmart.com) It's all you need to know to get things
for your feet.I have a pair of their Isoarch supports in everything
I wear except my hiking boots which have the more expensive
pair they sell which you mold at home and send off to have cast
with custom insoles.Worth the money I think.
Oldfivetango

Mother's Finest
03-29-2007, 15:41
PF
Three legs of the stool to be sure you do not get a recurrence.

1. Stretch those calves.....

2. never go barefoot on hard flat surfaces. when i say not barefoot I mean have proper arch support, like Birkenstock, or other cork footbed sandal. not flip flops not slippers

3. proper arch support in your shoes. the meaning of proper arch support will vary for different people. some people will get relief from an over the counter product like Superfeet, while others will require a custom product that will fill their arch all the way.

all that said, you can do absolutely nothing and the PF may just go away on its own. People who spend a lot of time on their feet on hard flat surfaces are most prone to developing this problem.

peace
mf

Lilred
03-29-2007, 15:50
I had custom insoles, the kind you heat up and form to your foot, made for $89. Worth every dime and they will last a lifetime. Have no problem with my plantar fascitiis now. Also, the crocs work wonders too. My pain is gone when I wear my crocs. LOVE my Crocs!!!