PDA

View Full Version : it is official

Freeleo
03-29-2007, 17:36
i will be attempting a thru-hike starting in may of 2008........i will be going southbound.......i will be attempting to complete the hike in 3.5 months

to any and all......i hope to see you out there

my target and probable start date is 5.18.08

if you feel like helping me push some 20+ mile days then i would gladly welcome the company

see ya on the AT

jch

TJ aka Teej
03-29-2007, 18:08
Watch the reports from Baxter and Katahdin as they get posted come May and June. The 18th of May is a too early a date to count on, as far as the AT up the Mountain is concerned.
Be sure to check out the WB MEGA forum, too!

StarLyte
03-30-2007, 06:21
Congrats!!!

I'll slack you....

nice photo album!

trailfoot
04-16-2007, 10:56
Wow 3.5 months or 105 days or 21 miles a day. I like the agressiveness!!!

I heard of a guy phreak that is attempting an 80-100 day trip heading shouthbound this year.
(http://www.hikes247.com/AT_Hike/AT_Main.htm)

I too have an agressive schedule but I will be heading northbound. We should pass somewhere along the trail :)

Enjoy your hike

snifur
04-18-2007, 00:59
i know i wont b able 2 keep your 20+ mile a day pace. I am interested in starting as early as possible tho. I could pace u 2 start out thru ME and the whites of NH.

Dancer
04-18-2007, 12:43
Looks like I might be out there SOBO in '08 too. Isn't it exciting??? Eeeeeeeee!!!!!

lvleph
04-18-2007, 12:48
Squeaky did 70 miles (Smokies) in one day on his NOBO AT in 2004 (I think it was 2004).

Dancer
04-18-2007, 12:49
Yikes! I bet he likes whips and chains too.... man!

lvleph
04-18-2007, 13:27
Well, he has the speed record for the PCT, and is going to try for a sub 40 AT.

lvleph
04-18-2007, 13:28
Not to mention the single year triple crown.

snifur
04-18-2007, 23:35
Squeaky also had a proffesional team helping him the entire way. true, he put the miles in, but he did not need to carry all his gear and he had support teams the entire way. Still, the miles done are impressive!

Freeleo
04-19-2007, 10:43
my goal ultimately is to just keep hiking for the time i could get away from work..........if i can keep the pace and finish i will be overwhelmed with joy.........no matter how far i get i just hope that distance is the result of 3.5 months of hiking..........it shall be an interesting year of planning and preparation.........any of you who are planing on leaving early i hope you will keep in touch......i have concidered starting south and hiking north so that i can start earlier and reach katadin after the park has for sure opened...then go back down south and continue southbound........i like that open option but do have a flexible start date and window to take the set time off work....just wishing that "sunflower"...a whiteblaze lurker were coming with me........alot can happpen ina year...i would never have had this desire if it were not for rsg;) :(

cheers
jch

Squeaky 2
04-21-2007, 06:38
WOO hold on a minute snifur i did the triple crown entirely unsupported. hope you are not confusing it with the sub40 which i have yet to attempt due to injuries. freeleo you will easily achieve a thru hike in 3.5 months if thats what you set your mind to. either way you will have the time of your life out there. happy trails

Squeaky 2
04-21-2007, 06:40
David Horton holds the PCT speed record at 66 days. mine is the unsupported one.

snifur
04-22-2007, 01:49
no offense meant Squeaky! I read an article in Backpacker about a squeaky or a squeaker about a year ago i think it was now. i probably am confusing it. but again, no offense meant. like i said, either way, the miles are impressive!

DavidNH
04-22-2007, 09:08
i will be attempting a thru-hike starting in may of 2008........i will be going southbound.......i will be attempting to complete the hike in 3.5 months

to any and all......i hope to see you out there

if you feel like helping me push some 20+ mile days then i would gladly welcome the company

see ya on the AT

jch

Freelo ..

My best wishes to You. On May 18 the trails up Katahdin will probably be closed. The snow up there in and around Baxter is Knee deep plus into at least early May (I am sure it is now!) I would suggest waiting till Mid June if at all possible.

Even so...expect lots of mud and more mosquitoes than you ever thought possible!

it will be tough to hike the trail in 3.5 months. I sure couldn't. But who knows, it has been done before, and I expect you can to.

David