PDA

View Full Version : Blessed with a good woman

KMaha
03-29-2007, 18:48
This is just a general comment. I am set to leave after my shift and a little sleep in the morning. My wife, who is not a backpacker or camper really and believes that my hobby might be the early onset of dementia, was watching as I struggled to pack the old 2 person 8lb tent I got so long ago.
She went out to REI and purchased a Sierra Designs Light Year solo tent for me. I just finished setting it up and breaking it down. Looks wonderful and weighs less than half my older tent. Made lots of room in my pack.
Now it's a shift and a wake up. Then time to do some miles.
See ya in the woods. :banana

Tabasco
03-29-2007, 19:13
Boo YAH!!!!! I had to make my schlep a 20 lb pack 10 miles to get her to under stand why it made sense to spend $ 300 on a tent that weighed 4 lbs less than my previous model.

Course, when that tent only got used 3 times and I then dropped the $ 250 for the Shires Contrail, she just shrugged.....

.....good women ARE hard to find. Congrats!!

mudhead
03-29-2007, 19:14
Either she likes having the house to herself, or she is:

A Keepah!

buckowens
03-29-2007, 20:03
Like KMaha I am as well blessed. She backs all of the crazy and somewhat dangerous things I do with a smile... Might just be banking on what we in the Army call the "SGLI sweepstakes" (soldiers group life insurance)!!!:D

Keep her and appreciate her very much. I have some buddies who are miserable every day...

ed bell
03-29-2007, 20:08
Keep her and appreciate her very much. I have some buddies who are miserable every day...My wife is a keeper. Buck has got it right, 100%

aaroniguana
03-29-2007, 21:26
You gents are lucky. Mine gives me no support and believes that since I probably will never thru hike I should have to make all my gear instead of buying expensive stuff.

I have her fooled. My home made gear is better than the storebought stuff.

Footslogger
03-29-2007, 23:10
Actually ...I might have a slight edge on you. My wife (BadAss Turtle - AT 2001) not only supports my hiking but she actually hikes along with me whenever possible.

I'm one of the most fortunate guys I know ...

'Slogger

KMaha
03-29-2007, 23:31
I am slowly working to get my wife on an overnighter. Just a simple hike to get her involved. I would love it if she would start hiking with me. I have some younger children that I am introducing to hiking as well. There is still hope.

Wanderingson
03-30-2007, 00:40
I have a remarkable wife who "surprises me" with all kinds of goodies. Here is how I do it.

I'll drag her along to an outfitter and say I just want to look around a little bit. Natually, I already know exactly what I am looking for. We go into the store and I begin my ritual. It goes something like this: "hey babe, check this out". I begin to show her the features of the particular item and she normally says "why don't you get it". I say naw, I'll wait and get it when I really need it.

Shortly after my trip to the outfitter, I have a nice little gift wrapped up for my "surprise".

While living in Northern Japan, I showed her some MSR snowshoes I wanted and told her that a buddy of mine had a pair just like them. Well, she couldn't remeber which ones when she went back to buy them so she called Jim and asked. She bought them for me right before I did an overnighter in the Hakkoda Mountains.

My girl is the greatest.

Smile
03-30-2007, 08:11
You guys are awesome, don't stop with the great-women-in-your-life stories! :)

peanuts
03-30-2007, 09:45
it goes to the old saying...."behind every man, there is a very smart woman" ( or something like it)

Footslogger
03-30-2007, 10:25
it goes to the old saying...."behind every man, there is a very smart woman" ( or something like it)

==================================

Problem there is the word "BEHIND"

Can't speak for the rest ...but BadAss and I stand side-by-side together on everything.

Kinda reminds me of a comment made to me when I announced my plans for a thru back in 2003. The comment went something like this ...

"You mean she's LETTING you take off for 6 months to hike the trail"

Funny, because we don't "LET" each other do anything. Rather we "SUPPORT" each other in our persuits.

Guess it's just a matter of perspective to some ...but it just seemed like something that needed to be said.

'Slogger

1azarus
03-30-2007, 10:29
Amen, Slogger

NativePennsylvanian
03-30-2007, 11:47
Mine bought my first frame pack, yet complains that I hike/camp too much. I'll convert her eventually.

Marta
03-30-2007, 12:25
I'll convert her eventually.

I wouldn't count on it. I've been working on David since 1972 and he still hasn't converted. He seems unlikely to change his mind at this late date.

Marta/Five-Leaf

bfitz
03-30-2007, 13:57
So far haven't found one that compares to my mom, but one day maybe...hope springs eternal!

hammock engineer
03-30-2007, 15:21
I took the new

saimyoji
03-30-2007, 15:25
So far haven't found one that compares to my mom, but one day maybe...hope springs eternal!

I think Freud had a name for things like this....:-?

hammock engineer
03-30-2007, 15:25
I took the new

Crap PC issues.:confused:

What I ment to say is took the new woman out on her first ever day hike this week. All in all she had a good time. The trick was extra clothes for her to stay warm in and change into afterwards (I learned my extra clothes and hers are 2 different things), a coat to keep her dry in the rain, water to drink, use of my trekking poles, and a headlamp.

saimyoji
03-30-2007, 15:29
Crap PC issues.:confused:

What I ment to say is took the new woman out on her first ever day hike this week. All in all she had a good time. The trick was extra clothes for her to stay warm in and change into afterwards (I learned my extra clothes and hers are 2 different things), a coat to keep her dry in the rain, water to drink, use of my trekking poles, and a headlamp.

Headlamp on a day hike? :-?

hammock engineer
03-31-2007, 01:07
Headlamp on a day hike? :-?

Didn't get started until 6pm.

TIDE-HSV
03-31-2007, 13:44
was ten days in the Wind Rivers. Even now, people ask her "Why did you let him make you do that?" She always replies that it was what she wanted to do. We were going to recreate that hike to celebrate our 20th anniversary last fall. However, an invasion and the prospect of several thousand $ of termite damage converted that to a repeat of our first backpack together - a 4-dayer in the Smokies, made 21 years ago. We literally got to know each other hiking together. Come to think of it, I can't imagine marrying someone not interested in backpacking. I have my principles... :)

oldfivetango
03-31-2007, 19:06
I think Freud had a name for things like this....:-?

Actually I heard Dr Laura Schlesinger say on the radio once that we
marry women who remind us of our mothers and our wives marry men
who remind them of their fathers.I find this information to be most
disconcerting.If you knew anything about my father-in-law you would
likely understand:D
Oldfivetango

saimyoji
03-31-2007, 19:21
Actually I heard Dr Laura Schlesinger say on the radio once that we
marry women who remind us of our mothers and our wives marry men
who remind them of their fathers.I find this information to be most
disconcerting.If you knew anything about my father-in-law you would