PDA

View Full Version : Mid-October on the AT

FrOeKk
03-30-2007, 03:29
How is hiking around mid-October on the AT?

FrOeKk
03-30-2007, 03:30
Let me add to that...............How is hiking around mid-October on the AT in the Mt. Rogers and Damascus area?

The General
03-30-2007, 06:39
Pretty much like hiking on the AT in any other place or time. Awesome!!!!!

firemountain
03-30-2007, 08:11
pretty much terrific! By mid October I was still in VT, so I did not reach Mt Rogers and the Grayson Highlands until mid January and it was incredible then... That was definately my favorite section of VA.

rsmall
03-30-2007, 08:46
Wonderful cool weather, beautiful fall colors and few bugs. It can get a little lonely though.

Lone Wolf
03-30-2007, 08:50
Wonderful cool weather, beautiful fall colors and few bugs. It can get a little lonely though.

it won't get lonely in the grayson highlands/mount rogers area in mid october. tons of people up there.

Kerosene
03-30-2007, 09:45
I think that Autumn is the best time to hike the AT, especially if you can time your hike to be out there as the leaves are changing. I much prefer the cooler weather and lack of bugs, but the downside is that you end up having to carry sufficient gear to cover a wide temperature range.

Skyline
03-30-2007, 10:19
If you have the freedom to wait until the weather forecast is favorable, it won't get much better than that.

But the High Country is worth going to even if you can't wait.

Alligator
03-30-2007, 11:50
I think that Autumn is the best time to hike the AT, especially if you can time your hike to be out there as the leaves are changing. I much prefer the cooler weather and lack of bugs, but the downside is that you end up having to carry sufficient gear to cover a wide temperature range.I agree, it's always nice to time a fall hike around peak leaf color if you can.

Tin Man
03-30-2007, 13:39
My brother and I always hike in the Fall - less crowded, few bugs, cooler, more color. However, advance timing of the peak leaf color is impossible as it varies so much from year to year. There are some nice leaf peeper sites that track the changes and are very helpful if your schedule is flexible.

Alligator
03-30-2007, 14:14
If you are flexible with your location, hitting peak color is a reasonable endeavor for a specific time. Hitting peak color somewhere on the AT mid-Oct. is certainly possible and entirely worthwhile.

FrOeKk
03-30-2007, 15:41
Mid-October is the time I've picked out because of work constraints, but it sounds like i got lucky with my pick!!!! Woohoo!! I can't wait!

cowpoke
03-30-2007, 17:29
Could not agree more....did NOC to Fontana last Oct. Beautiful...and somewhat wet...plenty of rain. Liked it so much that I'm going to section from Springer to Fontana this Oct...starting on the first. Still planning but can't wait...if it is half as beautiful as last year...will be awesome. Hope to see some of ya'll on the trail. pokey

Tin Man
03-30-2007, 17:37
If you are flexible with your location, hitting peak color is a reasonable endeavor for a specific time. Hitting peak color somewhere on the AT mid-Oct. is certainly possible and entirely worthwhile.

Good point. I don't have the flexibility because I must pick up the trail where I left off the previous year. :D