PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feel fall coming?

steve hiker
08-26-2003, 01:29
It's the last week of August. Anyone notice signs of fall?

Still hot as ever down here, but I know by the calendar and the angle of the sun that cooler nights and days will arrive soon in the mountains. Almost time for that first hike, after a long summer hibernation in the air conditioning.

Streamweaver
08-26-2003, 01:39
Its getting hot again here in Md ,but we got an awsome taste of early fall this weekend!!! It was In the low 80s with about 45% humidity (after almost daily rain and high humidity for over 2 months) Nice light breeze and sunny blue skies!!! Even today it got to about 87 or so and the humidity went back up but it still has that end of summer feeling. Its got me going in 3 diferent directions at once LOL I cant remember the name of the town in maine but on the news they said it had a low of 31 this morning. we had a low in the upper 40s to upper 50s around MD . With all this rain ,the trout fishing ought to be great this fall!! Can you tell fall is my favorite season??!!! Streamweaver

celt
08-26-2003, 06:26
Here in the Whites we've had a few cool nights in a row, high 40's and mid 50's in the valleys. Yesterday morning I noticed a slight change in the hue of the mountainsides. We've got a few maples turning red a tint of yellow in the birches.

squirrel bait
08-26-2003, 06:54
Yea I can tell it's getting near fall, the menu boards at the restaraunts arent as legible as when the students are here working. They used to say Blackened Scallops with pineapple salsa, sundried tomatoes and goat chesse, now it just says
................................See Cook
.................................Ask waiter
Thats when you can tell fall is near here on the outer banks.

poison_ivy
08-26-2003, 08:20
Definitely -- I was up in the Green Mountains in Vermont last weekend and we awoke to temperatures in the 40's. It is actually kind of nice... definitely killed off those remaining skeeters!

I imagine with all the rain we've gotten this summer, the fall colors will be absolutely spectacular this year.

- Ivy

Kerosene
08-26-2003, 09:59
Mornings aren't as cool in southeast Michigan as in the Northeast, but you can still tell that summer is coming to an end by the way it feels in the morning. I can't wait, since my annual Fall backpacking trip is only 7 weeks away!

jojo0425
08-26-2003, 15:29
Nope,

Sunny Florida doesn't get a hint of Fall until late October :-(... But, we get summer sooner :-)

chknfngrs
08-28-2003, 17:20
I was outside this AM and while it wasn't cool, I could definitely feel it in the air. Bring it, is what I say.

Tink
08-29-2003, 01:40
Brrrr....Had some frost and a sighting of ...omg dare I say it snow here in Maine...brrrrr

Youngblood
08-29-2003, 09:40
I watched a college football game last night so fall must be here! However, it don't fill like it outside.

Youngblood, near Hotlanta.

snuffy smith
08-29-2003, 13:58
Just today I noticed the sawgrass plumes are turning white here in north Florida.

Lilred
08-29-2003, 17:00
It's 99 degrees in Nashville today with what feels like 110% humidity. Leaves are falling, but from heat exhaustion.....

Streamweaver
08-29-2003, 23:08
Yup its really starting to feel like fall now ,I just came from the grocery store and the shelves are stocked with Halloween candy and decorations! SHEESH!! Streamweaver

Don
08-30-2003, 10:12
Streamweaver, I see you're in Bawlmer CO...I'm in Towson....drop me an e-mail....

Rain Man
08-30-2003, 22:25
Originally posted by Lilredmg
It's 99 degrees in Nashville today with what feels like 110% humidity. Leaves are falling, but from heat exhaustion.....

Now, now... I bet you two-to-one that the humidity never got above 99% today! LOL

Also in Nashville....

Rain Man

EarlyRiser
08-31-2003, 15:28
yep, fall is fast aproaching. days are cooler, which is nice because with fall comes marching band once again, and school starts thursday. no more am i free to wander as i please, atleast summer will come again.

norther NJ is turning a little cooler, few leaves even fell of the tree in the back yard. should be a nice autumn this year though.

steve hiker
08-31-2003, 17:03
Just checked out the forecast for the Pisgah/Shining Rock/Middle Prong area. Temps in the lowlands (Andrews, Robbinsville, Asheville) are supposed to start dropping to the 50s next week and the 40s the following week. So assuming 10 degrees cooler at altitude (5000-6000 feet), it'll be time soon to start the hiking season.

Will probably go to Pisgah for a few days soon, then out to Colorado's West Elk Wilderness in late September. Been wetter in CO this year so the aspens should be nice. Low temps in Gunnison are already in the 40s/30s and forecast to be in the mid-20s the week after next!

Waterbuffalo
08-31-2003, 20:04
It's hard to believe tomorrow is September 1st and it's still really hot here in Atlanta but man am I ready for the leaves to change.

WB

steve hiker
08-06-2004, 21:05
It's that time of summer when the days are getting shorter, and I can already tell a difference in the angle of the sun from the June solstice. Fall is on the way. Not here yet, but I hear that points north of here will get a taste of fall this weekend. Even down here, it only got into the 80s today, and is expected to plunge into the 60s tonight!

SGT Rock
08-06-2004, 21:06
But it is still hot as all get out down here in Louisiana. I am looking forward to fall in the Smokies.

smokymtnsteve
08-06-2004, 21:10
But it is still hot as all get out down here in Louisiana. I am looking forward to fall in the Smokies.

and we're looking forward to having you here.. :banana

steve hiker
08-06-2004, 21:18
Lucky dog Sarge, you'll be living up there by then. Enjoy.

My first trip north in the fall is always my favorite, even though I like winter and snow the best. Few years ago I kicked off the hiking season in the Nantahalas in late September, and last year went to Colorado in September. This year I'll probably do an AT section. Can't wait!

Streamweaver
08-06-2004, 21:19
The record for tommorow mornings low is 54 here in the Balmer area and they are calling for 55 but it might go lower. Ive had enough of that muggy rainy hot crap to last me quite awhile!!! Come on fall!! Streamweaver

Kerosene
08-07-2004, 11:27
We set a record for August 6th with a low temperature of 43F last night. Of course, we really haven't had much in the way of hot temperatures this summer. I think it's only topped 90F once or twice.

eyahiker
08-07-2004, 14:24
Fall is on it's way. Except here in Florida.:sun

It'll be a little while.........

Streamweaver
08-08-2004, 01:19
More signs of fall,I saw several White tail bucks with their fresh sets of antlers coming in with the fuzzy velvet all over em. Also saw a doe with fawn that must have been close to a year but still had some spots,she would walk a little closer to me to try to figure out whether I was a threat or not ,all the while stamping her front hooves. The fawn picks up on the hoof stomping thing like its the best game he played yet lol.Mommas being all catious but junior there is prancing around the feild like Peppy Le,pew(sp) without a care in the world.Fish where biting ,caught some nice smallies.Hiked about 11miles .Whats not to like about this weather!!!??? Streamweaver

Catsgoing
08-08-2004, 01:29
Muggy Hot here in Florida. Right now I am on the East Coast Boca Raton / Deerfield Line a mile from the beach.

Tomorrow back to Venice Florida we have had a strong west wind and heard a lot of dead sea weed washed a shore Yuk...............................

Streamweaver
08-08-2004, 01:53
Muggy Hot here in Florida. Right now I am on the East Coast Boca Raton / Deerfield Line a mile from the beach.

Tomorrow back to Venice Florida we have had a strong west wind and heard a lot of dead sea weed washed a shore Yuk...............................

Thats how it has been here for most of this summer,hot,muggy ,rainy!! Thats why this nice sunny weather with temps in the low 70s and low humidity feels down right nippy!! Back in 93 I moved to Central Fla (Cassellberry) for about a year and everybody was saying how Im gonna die from the heat. Well when I got down there they had some of the lowest temps they had in quite awhile,there was a few nights that hit 29 degrees!! meanwhile ,back in Md they had a record hot summer LOL SUCKAHS!! I never have liked extreme heat ,but Central Fla wasnt bad. Streamweaver

Percival
08-08-2004, 02:41
Yeah it may have hit 29 degrees in central Florida in January and broken all-time records, but the Plain Truth is those sorry SOBs in Florida have no relief from the muggy heat, except so briefly in winter when a very rare northern dry front passes through and drops the temperatures into the 50s at night (brrrr) and humidity into the 60 percent range. To get a taste of North America-style fall weather you have to be somewhere north of tropical Florida.

Flash Hand
08-08-2004, 08:38
So far the cooler weather in Southern New England is "good news" for northbound thru hiker who might be in Connecticut or Massachusetts. The temperature last night hovering around 50 degree.

Flash Hand :jump

Chip
08-08-2004, 09:45
This morning at 9:44am it is 54 degrees. Asheville, NC. :)

Fiddleback
08-08-2004, 10:42
I get to live a half-hour east of Missoula, MT at about 3660' elevation. Yesterday, it struggled to get to 70, finally breaking that level just before 5:00pm.

When I got up at 7:00 this morning my digital thermometer read 35.6...now that's a really nice way to spend the second Sunday morning of August!!

But while most of you may think that all is a harbinger of fall, I got a more, definite sign yesterday. In the mail -- a Christmas card catalog. (And please help me...I looked through it twice!!)

Best wishes to you, Sgt Rock.

FB

MOWGLI
08-08-2004, 11:03
Temps here in the Chattanooga, Tennessee area have been in the mid-50s the last few nights. The humidity and haze that normally plagues this region in the summer has been absent since a cold front blew through Thursday evening. Friday night it was actually cool in downtown Chattanooga. My wife, daughter and I strolled around the Art District and treated ourselves to a meal at a local restaurant - Tonys.

Saturday I took advantage and hiked a 4-5 mile segment (Rock Creek Gorge) of the Cumberland Trail near Bakewell, TN (30 minutes north of Chattanooga).

This morning I walked out my front door, walked the 1.5 miles to Signal Point, and did a 2 mile segment of the Cumberland Trail, then walked home - all in 1 hour 40 minutes. It's great to live so close to such an outstanding trail!

I am also totally psyched for a stroll I'm taking from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap in GSMNP starting next Thursday.

Bring on that cool weather baby! I'm ready!

Little Bear

Streamweaver
08-08-2004, 11:17
Yeah it may have hit 29 degrees in central Florida in January and broken all-time records, but the Plain Truth is those sorry SOBs in Florida have no relief from the muggy heat, except so briefly in winter when a very rare northern dry front passes through and drops the temperatures into the 50s at night (brrrr) and humidity into the 60 percent range. To get a taste of North America-style fall weather you have to be somewhere north of tropical Florida.

Sorry SOBs?? Thats Fkd up!! You got a problem with People from FLA??? Streamweaver

smokymtnsteve
08-08-2004, 12:04
I'm heading to Healy, AK in 2 weeks...bet it'll be Autumn there.

I love Fall...so I'm lookin for a head start on it..

Flash Hand
08-09-2004, 23:20
Hey!

I need to know when would the fall foliage starts in VT and NH? I hope I can be able to get through the colorful tree during my northbound thru hike and be able to get to Mt. Katahdin by their deadline date October 15.

Kerosene
08-10-2004, 09:44
Here is an interactive map (http://foliage.visitnh.gov/index-flash.html) of the projected fall colors for New Hampshire.

Unfortunately, there are many variables that come into play for predicting peak colors. Here's a blurb from the same website:

Figuring out the perfect time to catch peak foliage in New Hampshire can be a bit of a leap of faith, but here are some suggestions and tendencies that may help you select the perfect time to see nature's fireworks.

Each September and October people from all over the world come to New Hampshire to see the fall foliage. No one can predict in advance when the color will peak; that's why we offer the foliage report updates and change them weekly throughout the season. Other than that, here are some guidelines:

First, about mid-September, mountaintops and the swamp maples in the lowlands turn a flaming red, though a few will have sent off a first volley of color in late August. Some years, days will pass with little change, then overnight all the trees seem to explode with color so beautiful you wonder if it can be real. Other years, the color builds steadily to crescendo, changing each day.

Weather plays an important part in the process, but with so many variables, no one can truly predict how brilliant the foliage will be in any given year. However, we can predict that from the end of September through the first week in October, you can usually expect peak color in the far northern part of the state, while it can be anticipated in the southern part of the state from the first week in October to mid-month.

I don't think that you'll be able to hit the color season in VT/NH and still reach Katahdin by 10/15. However, you should hit some nice colors in Maine during your approach.

2XL
08-10-2004, 11:45
Here is a pretty good site for the leaf peepers out there.
http://www.foliagenetwork.com/

Mags
08-10-2004, 12:15
In the high country of Colorado, there is a fall chill in the air. Did trail work this pass weekend in Silverthorne (elev 9000 or so feet) and the morning was cool and crisp. Could see my breath as I hiked up the trail to Buffalo Mountain (12777 feet). The north facing slopes of other nearby peaks have aspen already starting to turn golden. Another month it will be just awesome. Snow capped peaks, golden aspens, cool weather. My favorite kind of hiking!

steve hiker
08-10-2004, 20:12
Another month it will be just awesome. Snow capped peaks, golden aspens, cool weather. My favorite kind of hiking!
I went to Colorado last September and I know what you mean. Went hiking in the West Elk Wilderness. Even in Colorado Springs when I first got off the plane, it was amazing. The air had a quality to it that is really difficult to describe. Just felt good to breath.

Flash Hand
08-12-2004, 04:33
Here is an interactive map (http://foliage.visitnh.gov/index-flash.html) of the projected fall colors for New Hampshire.

Unfortunately, there are many variables that come into play for predicting peak colors. Here's a blurb from the same website:

Figuring out the perfect time to catch peak foliage in New Hampshire can be a bit of a leap of faith, but here are some suggestions and tendencies that may help you select the perfect time to see nature's fireworks.

Each September and October people from all over the world come to New Hampshire to see the fall foliage. No one can predict in advance when the color will peak; that's why we offer the foliage report updates and change them weekly throughout the season. Other than that, here are some guidelines:

First, about mid-September, mountaintops and the swamp maples in the lowlands turn a flaming red, though a few will have sent off a first volley of color in late August. Some years, days will pass with little change, then overnight all the trees seem to explode with color so beautiful you wonder if it can be real. Other years, the color builds steadily to crescendo, changing each day.

Weather plays an important part in the process, but with so many variables, no one can truly predict how brilliant the foliage will be in any given year. However, we can predict that from the end of September through the first week in October, you can usually expect peak color in the far northern part of the state, while it can be anticipated in the southern part of the state from the first week in October to mid-month.

I don't think that you'll be able to hit the color season in VT/NH and still reach Katahdin by 10/15. However, you should hit some nice colors in Maine during your approach.

Maine?? I thought Maine is all infested of douglas fir, red spruce, or pine trees?? Don't they have any colorful foligage?

MOWGLI
08-12-2004, 07:49
Maine?? I thought Maine is all infested of douglas fir, red spruce, or pine trees?? Don't they have any colorful foligage?

No Doug Fir in Maine. That is a western species. Balsam Fir, YES. The predominant Pine along the AT is the White Pine. There are some giants in an area known as the Hermitage. That area is managed by the Nature Conservancy.

Maine has its share of deciduous trees too.

Pecan
08-12-2004, 22:38
A front came through this afternoon bringing cool air from the north. That's almost unheard of in August in south Mississippi. Tonight it's going to get down into the 50s, and tomorrow is only going to hit 80. That's fall weather. We usuaully don't get a taste of autumn like that till September.

Yes, fall is on its way.