PDA

View Full Version : New Gear

Joshrm78
03-30-2007, 18:43
Well I have mixed feelings about this but i need to get new gear so I can take my Sobo trip.

I would like to get a hammock and stay fairly light.
My question is if you had little gear what would u get i would like to spend less the $1800 I still have my treking poles, boot and hat. I have a gregory z pack hand me down. but need to change it doesnt fit quite right.
Im going to get another snowpeak giga and GSI pot because i liked them.

Help my mind is fried need some assistance gearing up.. Also i mostlikely wont get any test time with my gear do to constricting schedule..
thanks

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-30-2007, 19:24
Ok here goes:

Hennessy Hyperlight Hammock, 24 Oz, fits up to 200 Lbs Cost $220

Pack: ULA Catalyst, 43 Oz, carrys up to 40 Lbs Easily, hipbelt pockets, 3 large mesh pouches, Full frame, newer designed Hipbelt, fits like a glove Cost $225

Sleeping bag: No Sniveller Quilt, 78” x 48” x 2”, 20 ounce, down quilt, also used as a Early Morning Parka in colder weather. Multipurpose gear here. Rated down to 20 Degrees. $250

Sleeping Pad: Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad, 20 X 72 X 2.5, 21 Oz Cost $70 Best sleep you will ever get, mainly for shelter use however used with a Hammock down to 15 degrees. Let some air out to make it conform to Hammock better.

Stove: Coleman F1 Ultralight, 2.7 Oz Canister stove, 16,000 BTU, ( twice the Giga or Pocket Rocket ), supports fold completely out of the way, can reside inside a small titinium mug. Rated Number 1 canister stove by backpackinglight.com, This thing has unbelievable firepower and is the most efficient vs weight even over the JetBoil. Cost $40

Pot: Snow Peak 900, titanium, weight 6.2 Oz with Lid, 30 Oz capacity, Cost $45 Combined weight with F1 Stove and Bic lighter = 9.4 Oz + 7 Oz Snow Peak 110 gram Canister = 16.4 Oz Kitchen includes 8 days of fuel at a liter boiled per day.( 220 Gram Canister gets you 16 liters boiled at 20.4 Oz Total )
JetBoil Kitchen is 15.2 Oz without fuel ( add 7 Oz for JetBoil Canister ) = 22.2 Total Jetboil weigh ( This setup will get you 10.5 liters boiled )

Total Cost $850, Total weight with Kitchen and Fuel = 7 Lbs and 12.4 Oz

Ok that covers the Big Four, let me know if you want a Clothing review :)

Just Jeff
03-30-2007, 19:37
Email Hennessy Hammocks and ask for their clearance list - you can get pretty cheap gear that way. And check eBay for those red Snap-On hammocks...they sell for cheap to - if you can deal with a red rainfly!

Here's my gear list - http://www.tothewoods.net/GearList.html

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-30-2007, 19:56
I like Jeffs list alot however in comparison to the Golite Speed, I would suggest the Six Moon Designs Starlite instead. 4200 CI, 25 Oz, Has Hipbelt Packets, 3 large external pouches, Adjustable Torso lengths, Carrys up to 35 Lbs ( Backpackinglight.com rated the Starlite as the best carrying of all the Frameless packs tested ), uses a Pad for Frame so instead of the Big Agnes Sleeping Pad use the Gossemer Gear Nightlight Torso ( I use 2 of these for a 60 inch total length ) weight for one pad is 4 Oz ( 8 Oz for 2 )

The rest of his list is right on. ( I personally like the MacCat Tarp better though :)

Jeff knows his stuff as my gear list used his as an example anyway. GO JEFF !!

If you go with a hammock, you cant go wrong with any of his suggestions. And mine arent bad neither :)

Good Luck and happy hammocking

Joshrm78
03-30-2007, 20:06
Sounds great thanks for all your suggestions what would you suggest for clothing i lost all that too....

Johnny Swank
03-30-2007, 20:36
When are you planning on taking off on your SOBO trip? If you don't mind me asking, what happened to all your gear?

FWIW, you don't have to spend anywhere near $1800 for gear suitable for a thru-hike. If you have any sewing skills whatsoever, you could easily get/make everything for under 400-500 dollars.

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-30-2007, 20:54
Clothing list;

Insulated Jacket: Montbell Thermawarp Jacket: The U.L. Thermawrap Jacket is a ultra light synthetic jacket weighing about 8.8 Oz for a size Medium. Cost $140

Windshirt: Patagonia Houdini Full Zip Windshirt, The Houdini is a full zip, HOODED windshirt that weighs 3.8 ounces (107 g, as measured, Men's size L). Very Breathable, Good DWR treatment, Full Zip, lightweight Cost $125

Rain Jacket: Outdoor Research Zealot rain jacket, 7 Oz, The Zealot has a minimalist design; one pocket, one hood adjustment, elastic cuffs, and hem drawcord. A water resistant two-way full zipper adds a measure of breathability and ease of use. The waterproof/breathable shell fabric is 15 denier Gore-Tex PacLite. The Zealot performs nearly as well as heavier rainshells, with little sacrifice in performance. Cost $199 ( try to find it onsale, I did at $99. ) You can also use this as a windshirt to save money if you wish, I did for a year before I got a Houdini. You wont believe how light this thing feels.

Rain Pants: Marmot Precips 7 Oz ( get these if you want a Rear POCKET ) if not then go with the Golite Reed Pants at 5 Oz if you can find a pair in your size. Cost $70 ( regular pant, not full Zip )

Wicking Shirt: Mountain Hardwear Wicked T, weighs 4.5 oz What can I say but that it works :) Cost $30

Thermals: Patagonia Capilene 1 or 2, Buy these at REI in case you need to return them, get both top and bottoms although I dont carry the top with me unless its real cold, my thermawarp works just fine instead. Cost $38 Mens Crew Top, $36 Mens Bottoms

Hat: Marmot Precip Ball Cap, it looks dumb but works great, breathes well, waterproof and a good PLASTIC bill for the rain, weight 1.5 Oz Cost $25

Gaiters: Integral Designs eVent Shortie Gaiters, 2.5 Oz per pair Cost $25

Rain Mitts: Mountain Laurel Designs Event Rain Mitts, 1 Oz per pair, Designed for ultra lightweight protection for 3+ season hikers needing short term early morning warmth or anytime rain protection. Not intended as an all day everyday cold weather mitt or shell. At less than an ounce for the pair, they won’t last as long as a 5oz mitt. I love these things !!! I live near the Smokies. Cost $40

Enough for now, any more questions ask away. There are lots cheaper stuff out there than these examples, however it will be very hard to find better, lighter or better performing, this is The Good Stuff !! Others can advise on the less expensive alternatives. Besides most of the less expensive stuff I have around somewhere so just ask :) Be glad to sell it.

Laters,

Joshrm78
03-31-2007, 09:01
Thanks guys for shopping list...

Some jerk off broke into my jeep and everything was stolen. June 1st if i get this house sold..

And ive never sewn anything other then a patch job.

Im under the gun now so have little time if i get one weekend to get out before my trip ill be happy.. :) thanks again this will definitaly help out

TomScanlan
03-31-2007, 18:53
Interesting, I'm planning on starting SOBO on june 1 as well (also contingent on getting my house in NJ sold :). How's that for a coincidence! Hope to see you out there.

Thanks guys for shopping list...
Im under the gun now so have little time if i get one weekend to get out before my trip ill be happy.. :) thanks again this will definitaly help out

Just Jeff
03-31-2007, 19:05
Rebel - I carry the MacCat as often as I carry the JRB, actually. Just depends on what mood I'm in. Actually, I recently bought a limited-run MacCat that I haven't used yet - it's basically a 5x8 rectangle with grosgrain trim and the MacCat corner tie-outs. Just hang it on the diagonal. It's ~8.5 oz and only requires two stakes...but like I said, I haven't used it yet. Not sure if I'll like the limited coverage or not (still bigger than the stock HH BULA tarp though).

And I certainly understand other backpack recommendations. I'm happy with the Speed, but not so thrilled that I've stopped checking out other packs whenever I'm in the outfitters. I'd actually like an ultralight Gearskin with the Atmos flexible frame...I've been tossing around ideas for how to work up a homemade one. Something like the Dana Designs X-pack (or whatever it's called) but with a pseudo-internal-frame.

Just Jeff
03-31-2007, 19:14
Josh - can you sew? If you can borrow a machine, you can easily get great gear for under $1800 - then spend the rest on beer and food, zero days, etc. Plus the pride of using stuff you made yourself - can't really explain that...either you get it or you don't.

Homemade hammocks are SUPER simple to make. There are even a few threads on HammockForums about folks who made their own Hennessy clone. Not experienced folks, either...just takes the courage to try. Here's a simple set of instructions for the kind of hammock I use most often.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

And quilts are simple too - seriously, a synthetic one is just a box...slide the insulation in and that's about it. Down isn't much more complicated if you take your time...the horror stories you hear are from folks who didn't use the right technique. I'm happy to help you along if you choose to make your own - you can spend ~$100 for a quilt that performs just as well as a $250 sleeping bag.

Just a thought.

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-31-2007, 19:27
Jeff, SGT Rock uses a Gearskin and I have seen how he packs his up close and its a nice outfit. One good feature for thruhikers is the fact that as your load is reduced in size and weight, the gearskin can be compressed ever smaller and smaller. It also uses a BIG Pad as the surround material which works great with the hammock ( Extra wide ). And its as light as you want to make it. With your knowledge of piecing together gear, the gearskin may just be down your alley.

Write SGT Rock or try to meet up with him and take a look at his. One of the nicest arrangements I have seen to date.

Cya on the Trail

Joshrm78
03-31-2007, 20:08
I would love to have the time to make my own stuff but right now im knee deep in bull crap so i dont have the time.. Its go time for me if i want to make the trail im just going to have to buy but thats ok because maybe i can make my stuff for my Pacific Trail adventure... wishfull thinking...
Well hope to see you out there TOM gl with the sale of ur house..

thanks again for all the recommendations its really giving me the motivation i need ..