PDA

View Full Version : Where can you go for a SWIM?

Earl Grey
03-30-2007, 21:44
So this summer when its 90-95 and you want to cool off are there places like that? Im talking jump in and be rather deep kind of cool off here.

DavidNH
03-30-2007, 21:49
any particular area? I am assuming you mean along the AT.

Try Upper Goose Pond in Massachusetts. Great swimming, and you can stay at Upper Goose Pond cabin. VT and NH not much for swimming. Maine has many wonderful lakes.

There must be some great places in the southern Apps but I am not familiar with them.

David

rafe
03-30-2007, 22:01
Lots of beautiful lakes and ponds in the 100-mile wilerness in Maine. Oh, and Pearce Pond, just south of the Kennebec.

One of the best swims I ever had on the trail was a Little Rock Pond (http://gallery.backcountry.net/at-vt-2002/aat) in Vermont.

emerald
03-30-2007, 22:06
My favorite place is Little Rock Pond on The Long Trail at A.T. milepoint 518.0/1656.6 (2006 data). There are many other great places north as well as south of there too.

I see someone else had the same idea at the same time!

DavidNH
03-30-2007, 22:06
Lots of beautiful lakes and ponds in the 100-mile wilerness in Maine. Oh, and Pearce Pond, just south of the Kennebec.

One of the best swims I ever had on the trail was a Little Rock Pond (http://gallery.backcountry.net/at-vt-2002/aat) in Vermont.

Damn...I forgot about that Pond. Thanks for mentioning it Terrapin.

Little Rock Pond, is absolutely NOT to be missed! the scenery is wonderful and the swimming fabulous. And you can camp very close to the water (caretaker present, 5 $ fee as of 2006).

I stopped at Little Rock Pond on both my Long Trail and Appalachian Trail hikes. each time it was a highlight!

Ditto Terrapin's comments on the 100 mile wilderness...plenty of large wonderful lakes, you just gotta get there before it gets cold (early September or earlier if possible) unless one likes to swim in cool water!

David

Cheesewhiz
03-31-2007, 04:55
Be careful stelath camping anywhere near Little rock pond, I had a bear sniff me out in my hammock. Scared the crap outa me. This was one of the three times I camped by myself during my entire thru hike.

Blue Jay
03-31-2007, 07:04
Be careful stelath camping anywhere near Little rock pond, I had a bear sniff me out in my hammock. Scared the crap outa me. This was one of the three times I camped by myself during my entire thru hike.

Great imagry from that. I can see the bear holding one nostril closed like a coke addict and sniffing you out of the hammock and then the crap coming out with a beautiful pond in the background.

saimyoji
03-31-2007, 13:50
Don't swim in Sunfish Pond in PA. If caught by a ranger you'll get a ticket. Swim in the Delaware before you hike up to SunfishPond, or take a shower in one of the waterfalls along the Dunnfield Creek, a short hike (200 yds?) up from the AT.

Don't swim in the reservoir at Hamburg, again, you're likely to get a ticket.

saimyoji
03-31-2007, 18:14
Don't swim in Sunfish Pond in PA. If caught by a ranger you'll get a ticket. Swim in the Delaware before you hike up to SunfishPond, or take a shower in one of the waterfalls along the Dunnfield Creek, a short hike (200 yds?) up from the AT.

Of course by Sunfish Pond in PA, I mean the one in NJ. :o

(thanks SOG)

icemanat95
03-31-2007, 18:37
Of course by Sunfish Pond in PA, I mean the one in NJ. :o

(thanks SOG)

Really?

I had a good swim there back in '95. We were staying overnight at the camp there. Fresh Veggie was a counsellor there and was great about slacking hikers from the church at the Water Gap to the camp. Good swimming off the dock at the camp.

Of course there is the Bear Mountain Park pool. Lots of other people there and all, but.

Hahn Solo took a dip at one of the Ponds in the 100 Mile Wilderness in later September/early October timeframe. It was colder than a witches patootie. Most of us were wearing fleece hats, gloves, jackets and long underwear while he was swimming...hypothermic swimming, but swimming nonetheless.

ImkerVS
03-31-2007, 21:20
Near Hampton, TN, after coming down Pond Mountain, you can cool off in Watauga Lake.

Yahtzee
03-31-2007, 23:02
Jennings Creek, Va is usually good for a soak on a hot day.
Dismal Creek Falls, Va
Tye River, Va good for a soak
Swimming pool at Caldonia State Park, Pa
Pine Grove Furnace has a lake
Beach at DWG
Sunfish Pond, NJ Too good to pass up.
Bear Mt. Pool
Falls River Village Power Plant
Housatonic River
Upper Goose
Griffith Lake, Vt
Little Rock Pond, Vt
Clarendon Gorge, Vt.
Maine

Happy Dipping.

rafe
03-31-2007, 23:58
Nuclear Lake? Did anyone dare?

Yahtzee
04-01-2007, 01:48
I did go for a nice swim in Nuclear Lake, but having survived Three Mile Island as a child, I felt I was safe. As I recall, it was too hot out to pass it up.

Heater
04-01-2007, 03:28
There was a journal last year by a hiker that was named for his habit of hitting every swimmin' hole along the way. Gills was his trailname. Might give him a shout!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3052

d2m
04-01-2007, 12:50
don't forget to jump off the james river foot bridge in va. if you dare.... it's a long way to the water.

Chef2000
04-01-2007, 19:21
Clarendon Gorge VT, great place to swim after that killer hike down, then .5 mile down road is Cheeseburgers at whistlestop

shelterbuilder
04-01-2007, 20:44
When you get into Pa., there is an old power-generating dam from the early 20th century (when rural communities made their own electricity with hydro power) located between Rt. 501 and Rt. 183 in Schubert's Gap. Down hill from the tent pad site is a blue trail that leads past the dam. Very peaceful place, but beware! the water temperature will take your breath away! C-O-L-D!

Askus3
04-02-2007, 03:46
I beg to differ with DavidNH. Places I swam in NH included Kinsman Pond, Lonesome Lake, I don't recommend Ethan Pond-leeches, (I didn't, but saw people swimming in Star lake! Don't recommend), Carter Ponds, and I really liked Gentian pond for a swim. In Maine, I loved my swim in Bald Mountain Pond.

LIhikers
04-05-2007, 11:28
Lake Tiorati. It's only about 1/4 mile, down hill, from the AT. And right across the street is Tiorati Park, where trail magic has been know to happen from time to time.

DawnTreader
04-05-2007, 14:15
Genitian Pond in NH is full of leeches

Gaiter
04-05-2007, 18:10
this is a good thread, this is something that should be included in the companion, where to swim w/o major problems, where to get tickets for swiming and where you can catch a few leeches

Freeleo
04-26-2007, 15:49
this is a good thread, this is something that should be included in the companion, where to swim w/o major problems, where to get tickets for swiming and where you can catch a few leeches

i agree.......i have been pondering swimming along the trail........this would make a great article......where to...where not to...etc...im my opinion

thanks for the info.......

Eureka
04-26-2007, 19:39
Guilder's Pond on the AT in Mass. near Ct. border. The "beach" is all rock and very deep once you jump in.

superman
04-27-2007, 15:19
Pat from Maine, Sunny Campfire and I had a great time swimming in Nuclear Lake. The local people were building a trail around the pond and having a party/cook out. We were invited to join in with the party/cook out. These were the same people who had forced the govt. to clean the lake three times. They and their kids were swimming in it. It had been certified and approved to be nuclear free.

Penne
05-30-2007, 19:54
What do you usually wear while swimming? I'm leaving for my SOBO soon and I can't decide if I want to bring a bathing suit--which is what I do when I go out for a week long section. This question is mostly aimed at the other women hiking out there.

Johnny Swank
05-30-2007, 20:46
Me - I'm a birthday suit kind of dude.

Otherwise, just swim in your hiking clothes. They probably need a rinse anyway.

rafe
05-30-2007, 20:48
Me - I'm a birthday suit kind of dude.

Otherwise, just swim in your hiking clothes. They probably need a rinse anyway.

That's almost certainly true, but in my experience, it's really bad news hiking in wet or damp shorts. Even when your shorts are nothing but baggy nylon swim trunks.

emerald
05-30-2007, 21:24
What do you usually wear while swimming? I'm leaving for my SOBO soon and I can't decide if I want to bring a bathing suit--which is what I do when I go out for a week long section. This question is mostly aimed at the other women hiking out there.

No swim suit is lighter in weight than none, but you'll need to be more selective about where and when you swim. You might enjoy swimming in the moonlight at a private location away from the A.T. If you're the only one there or you don't mind the company, who cares what you wear?

Unless you have an aversion to water, you will not want to miss the opportunity to swim on the northernmost portions of the A.T. in the 2nd half of summer.

Have fun!

Marta
05-30-2007, 21:29
I just waded right in in my shorts and shirt. As JS said, they needed a rinse anyway. I chose the clothes for their ability to dry quickly, which they do after swimming just as well as they do after a rainstorm.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Condor
05-30-2007, 21:42

The swimming in sunfish pond is worth a ticket!!!! ties for best swiming with rattle river shelter in NH and little rock pond in VT IMO

saimyoji
05-30-2007, 22:38
Yeah, it just might be. I spoke with the ridgerunner on Sunday when I hiked up there. He just kinda nodded indifferently when I questioned him about it. His comment was that the rule is more political than anything, but that it is an "acidic lake, and it's not that clean..." My toes sure felt good in that cold crisp water though....;)

saimyoji
07-18-2008, 17:30
Its hotter'n hell here in PA, thought I'd bring this back up. If you're in Port Clinton, taking a zero: head over to the Kernsville Dam Reservoir. Great swimming there. Waterfalls at the Dunnfield Creek are cool and refreshing. Sunfish Pond....well, enough said about that. Stay cool out there.

Lone Wolf
07-18-2008, 17:36
Sunfish Pond....well, enough said about that. Stay cool out there.

it's illegal to swim in sunfish pond. it's a public water supply

Tipi Walter
07-18-2008, 17:59
This was one of the three times I camped by myself during my entire thru hike.

Say what?? Are you serious? Please explain yourself.

Wags
07-18-2008, 19:42
pine grove has 2 lakes. the big one, laurel and the small one, fuller. both are always very cool - plus there's usually plenty of chickadee's for your viewing pleasure. quite refreshing right now during our week long heatwave. after your swim you can head up and get some icecream at the general store.

Wise Old Owl
07-18-2008, 23:13

Where is that LW, I tried to look for it on GE and didn't see it. Is that the Hamburg water supply?

fiddlehead
07-18-2008, 23:38
When you get into Pa., there is an old power-generating dam from the early 20th century (when rural communities made their own electricity with hydro power) located between Rt. 501 and Rt. 183 in Schubert's Gap. Down hill from the tent pad site is a blue trail that leads past the dam. Very peaceful place, but beware! the water temperature will take your breath away! C-O-L-D!

Also in that same section, there's the pond just to the south side of Hertliem campsite. Swam there lots of times as i grew up nearby.

Lone Wolf
07-19-2008, 06:47
Where is that LW, I tried to look for it on GE and didn't see it. Is that the Hamburg water supply?

in NJ just north of DWG

saimyoji
07-19-2008, 07:51

I'm guessing you didn't read my previous posts re: sunfish pond.

saimyoji
07-19-2008, 07:53

Sunfish Pond is actually in NJ, just north of Water Gap. It is not a public water supply. The Hamburg reservoir is indeed a public water supply.

MOWGLI
07-19-2008, 08:13
The places I like to swim are too nice to post on a public website like Whiteblaze. Sorry. :p

Nearly Normal
07-19-2008, 10:51
http://www.swimmingholes.org/

senache
07-19-2008, 13:33
Rattle River Trail outside Gorham, NH. The river has nice rock lined pools and they are cold! Trail connects with AT.

rafe
07-19-2008, 15:35
Rattle River Trail outside Gorham, NH. The river has nice rock lined pools and they are cold! Trail connects with AT.

Hmm. That's odd. I thought the Rattle River Trail was the AT. From near Moriah summit to Rte. 2, east of Gorham.

emerald
05-23-2009, 01:39
If you're in Port Clinton, taking a zero: head over to the Kernsville Dam Reservoir. Great swimming there.

Pennsylvania DEP prohibits swimming at this location. To learn more about Kernsville Dam Recreation Area, click on Town Services in PA #24 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=840036&postcount=24).

Tinker
05-23-2009, 08:44
I beg to differ with DavidNH. Places I swam in NH included Kinsman Pond, Lonesome Lake, I don't recommend Ethan Pond-leeches, (I didn't, but saw people swimming in Star lake! Don't recommend), Carter Ponds, and I really liked Gentian pond for a swim. In Maine, I loved my swim in Bald Mountain Pond.

Yep! Ethan Pond is a no-no - LEACHES!!!!!!

I pretty much swam in anything deep enough on all my section hikes.

My VERY favorite place to swim:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23283&catid=searchresults&searchid=24450
Step out onto a rock ledge and push off into deep, cold water. Possibly the prettiest pond on the trail in Maine (they're all beautiful, though).
Thanks for the photo, Blissful.

sasquatch2014
05-23-2009, 17:25
Bulls Bridge is a great spot and just off the trail on a paved road. You can even cross the covered bridge to the small convience store to get cold drinks to take with you.This is a very popular swimming hole and on hot days there will almost always be somebody there.

From the trail when you step out onto the road at the intersection of Dog trail Corners/Bulls Bridge Road and Skatigcoke(sp) rd go trail east for NoBo follow this road. Right before you cross the small bridge you will see a large path blocked to vehicle traffic your right. Follow is path and in a few minuets you will see a side path drop dow to the left it's a big side path can't really miss it.

The area has a lot of nice areas to sit and chill. The current can be floated like a lazy river and there are some rocks out in the middle you can climb on and jump off. On the far side is a larger cliff and a few spots where folks jump from. I only do the low one I am not brave or stupid enough to jump from the top which may be a good 30 plus feet down to the water.

saimyoji
05-23-2009, 18:51
Pennsylvania DEP's Bureau of Abandoned Mine Reclamation now prohibits swimming at this location. For more information about Kernsville Dam Recreation Area, click on Town Services in PA #24 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=840036&postcount=24).

so i followed your link to more links to more links....could you provide a link to the exact verbage that states camping and swimming are now prohibited?

Cassie
05-23-2009, 20:44
Not specifically on the A.T. but I'm a member of the YMCA at home so in trail towns where there was a YMCA I often went in and did laps in the pool (after showering, of course). The next day back on the trail I always regretted it but it felt wonderful at the time.

emerald
05-23-2009, 20:48
Could you provide a link to the exact verbiage that states camping and swimming are now prohibited?

I have not yet found a specific rule(s) on DEP's site. My posts are based upon correspondence with Blue Mountain Wildlife and a post to another site which refers to an email from DEP.

I haven't given up looking and may be able to substitute precisely what you requested for what now appears here.

Since you likely read The Morning Call, you probably didn't see Port Clinton river spot a no-swim zone (http://www.republicanherald.com/articles/2008/06/14/news/local_news/pr_republican.20080614.a.pg1.pr14therock_s1.174071 1_top2.txt) published by Pottsville's Republican-Herald June 14, 2008. According to the article, people violating the rules mentioned below would be procecuted for trespass.

The Kernsville Dam recreation site prohibits camping overnight, four-wheeling, driving ATVs under the influence of alcohol, drinking alcohol and open fires.

A DEP sign on the Berks County side of the area lists restrictions and limitations.The best I may be able to do is post and link an image of DEP's sign. A kiosk is under construction. I will post more as I am able.

emerald

OldStormcrow
06-01-2009, 11:38
Laurel Falls in Tennessee. Great little one-tent campsite along the river just downstream from the falls.

sasquatch2014
06-06-2009, 06:36
I had almost completlty forgotten about this spot but was up that way a few days back. Just a bit north of the Stewart Hollow Brook shelter in CT about half way through the river walk after kent is a great little sandy beach area along the river. There is a small side trail that leads to it. You can see it right from the trail. The river in this spot is fairly deep so you can really swim and not just sit and splash.

Blue Jay
06-06-2009, 08:16
Yep! Ethan Pond is a no-no - LEACHES!!!!!!

It takes them a few minutes to find you so if you want to cool off, get in and get out. They really are no big deal, a little salt and they come right off.:eek:

greg burke
06-06-2009, 08:32
Shenadoah river just out side of Roundhill Va. when I was there in 1986 I would take a car load over to the river from the Blackburn Trail center. What a great time that was.

Feral Bill
06-06-2009, 12:02
In NY Island Pond and Lake Tiorati.

bronconite
06-19-2009, 16:19
Since you likely read The Morning Call, you probably didn't see Port Clinton river spot a no-swim zone (http://www.republicanherald.com/articles/2008/06/14/news/local_news/pr_republican.20080614.a.pg1.pr14therock_s1.174071 1_top2.txt) published by Pottsville's Republican-Herald June 14, 2008. According to the article, people violating the rules mentioned below would be procecuted for trespass.

I drove up to the Kernsville Dam last Friday after work and watched 3 young men, probably in their late teens walk out on the dam and jump in to the water below. Crazy.

Don H
06-20-2009, 21:10
The pool at Boiling Springs, PA.

emerald
08-27-2009, 14:37
Reading man drowns near Kernsville Dam (http://www.republicanherald.com/news/reading_man_drowns_near_kernsville_dam)

Raphael Montiro, 32, of Reading, was swimming with a group of friends from the Schuylkill County side of the river toward a cliff known as "the Rock," located on the Berks County bank.

DEP posted an emergency access gate and "no swimming" signs after a 2006 drowning at the site; those who are caught swimming could be cited for criminal trespass - which can mean penalties and fines of up to $250.

See also my earlier posts. Unfortunately, my Republican Herald link in post #51 now points to another article.

saimyoji
08-27-2009, 15:46
ive seen people swimming in sunfish pond lately and the rangers/ridgerunnners don't really seem to care. i wouldn't chance it though. you're better off taking a dip in Dunnfield Creek on your way up to the pond. just follow the signs.

sasquatch2014
08-27-2009, 19:03
I'm guessing you didn't read my previous posts re: sunfish pond.
Like they don't filter the water even after your stinky ass has been in there give it a break. I live surrounded by NYC watershed you would think that these bodies of water are the holy grail FTW is my stance on these.

And for you out there that feel the need to respond to this who cares and I'm an inconsiderate A hole, well you may be right and again FTW. it's just been one of those years, decades!

saimyoji
08-27-2009, 21:07
your quote was from last year. and we established that it does not supply drinking water for the area.....in any event, i really don't care if you swim there (i have, and in dunnfield creek which flows from the pond) i was just putting it out there that its illegal and you just might get a ticket.

free will is a wonderful thing aint it?

Askus3
09-03-2009, 02:52
On my section hike this year south of the White Mountains in NH, I found another swimming gem - Wachipauka Pond. Surprised nobody previously mentioned it! Unfortunately, when I visited it was damp and cool and semi-fogged in. The trick is that it is unsigned but appears to be a beautiful campsite. Others that have been here and see this post on Whiteblaze can chirp in about the swimming. Going northbound you can see it from a viewpoint signed "Beware of tourists" on your right on your descent of Mist Mountain. Then about 1/2 mile further along you will come to a signed junction on your left for Mt. Webster Trail which is actually the Webster Slide Trail. (Not to be confused with Mt. Webster at Crawford Notch). At this point an unmarked spur trail goes down to the right about 0.2 mile and 150 feet of elevation. Just before lakeside is a nice campsite on your right. Continue beyond to the end of a peninsula and a pine tree and a bed of pines underfoot. A sign on the pine tree says "Welcome to the White Mountain National Forest". This is a great campsite. Fresh water is along a brook flowing into the lake running alongside of the spur trail from the AT. Going southbound it is 1.8 miles south of Glencliff & NH 25. Spur trail is on your left. You actually see the pond thru the trees before you get to the spur trail. Most northbound hikers zoom ahead for Glencliff, but if you are going to camp out at Jeffers Brook Shelter, you might reconsider and camp here as it is far more spectacular. You can still make a nice hike over Moosilauke from here to Beaver Brook Shelter or even do a lengthy push to Eliza Brook Shelter from here.

Gramps
09-14-2009, 23:23
So as to all these swimming spots, if illegal, do they have "no swimming" signs posted so one doesn't have to wonder? If so, then each person can make up their own mind and suffer the consequences of their actions.

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2009, 14:56
The best place I know of is the swimming hole in our backyard, which is about a five minute walk from the Trail. If there's a better swimming hole actually ON the Trail, I haven't seen it.

emerald
09-15-2009, 15:33
So as to all these swimming spots, if illegal, do they have "no swimming" signs posted so one doesn't have to wonder? If so, then each person can make up their own mind and suffer the consequences of their actions.

Signs might be missing when one gets there, hence we advise hikers who read threads here.

People do not need to be encouraged to violate laws, regulations or other prohibitions. It goes beyond suffering consequences of one's own actions. It reflects on all of us when people encourage others here or on the A.T. and diverts resources which might be better directed elsewhere.

Is it okay to exercise one's own free will and swim in Hamburg's reservoir against their wishes and what's posted? No, it's not! If I see you swimming there, I know the how to contact their police department and will be happy to make the call.