PDA

View Full Version : Townsa and Cities PAST, along the trail

freefall
03-30-2007, 21:55
Ok, so the title was inspired by another thread, but it gave me the idea.

Along the trail, what towns/cities from the past ( no longer there or have major historical signifigance) are near the rail?

The two that come to mind are one probably familiar and the other maybe not.
The first is Burning Town. What's the origins? How'd it get it's name?

The second, may be not right on the trail but very near is Lost Cove near Erwin, TN. We always got there up the train tracks but it is pretty close to the AT on the Nolichucky (maybe if I had the maps I'd know). Story is that they all died from a disease like smallpox or something. Anyway, there's houses, vehicles, etc... up there frozen in time.

What others are out there or what can you ad to these?

Marta
03-31-2007, 06:41
In PA you pass through a couple of towns that don't exist anymore--Rausch Gap and Yellow Springs. (I'm not looking up the names, so I may have them wrong.) There's a plaque giving a short history. Lots of foundations visible.

In VA, there's a river walk passing through the remains of a settlement of freed slaves. Browns Creek?

Further north, in NY, there is a section of trail along an old roadbed, with stone fences and foundations visible in the woods.

An interesting thread. My attention was caught by a number of old foundations along the Trail...when I wasn't in a good position to find out about the history of the area.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Appalachian Tater
03-31-2007, 12:54
Glastonbury, VT.

rafe
03-31-2007, 15:50
I remember (or maybe imagined) some mention, in one of the old Rodale diaries, of an abandoned town or settlement, somewhere in the vicinity of Max Patch...

Undershaft
03-31-2007, 19:35
The trail passes close to Dudleytown in CT.

Maineiac
04-04-2007, 20:09
Flooded out by the dam that created Flagstaff Lake next to Bigelow Mountain. In the fall when they daw down the lake, you can still see some foundations. And at the Round Barn Campsite, the old highway (Rte. 27 at the time) can still before disappearing into the lake.