PDA

View Full Version : For those with SD card cameras and want a SD->USB converter

Earl Grey
03-30-2007, 21:58
Buy.com is having a sale on this

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.asp?sku=204134646

I plan on using the adapter in libraries and uploading the pictures to my website or email them to myself so I can delete the pictures. I used google checkout to get the price down to $16 and then with the rebate itll be around $2.

freefall
03-30-2007, 22:06
Great find and thanks for posting! I carried a reader with me so I could upload pictures almost anwhere I was. The librarians freek out if they see you pulling out cords to hook to their computers. They barely even noticed the one I was using.
The card readers at Wally World don't recognize the sd cards so well but when I plugged mine in to the USB with the reader, ACES!

orangebug
03-30-2007, 22:10
My experience with BUY.COM should be cautionary. They have a tendency to send their invoices and receipts quite delayed, often resulting in rebates being timed out before you get a chance to mail them in. It felt "bait and switch" to me, but probably was only a Republican conspiracy.

Earl Grey
03-30-2007, 22:42
Hmm well the receipt comes with the order usually and then you have like a month to send it off. So I think the neocons are behind it.

freefall
03-30-2007, 22:45
Hmm well the receipt comes with the order usually and then you have like a month to send it off. So I think the neocons are behind it.
LMAO.... I haven't bought from them but....

Fiddleback
03-31-2007, 10:53
I've placed several orders with Buy.com...all with great results. They often pitch you their own no-fee Visa card and usually when you sign up you get a hefty discount on your first order (mine was $30). I believe each further card use on Buy.com gets you another 2% discount on the purchase. But you can use other Visa/MC cards or Pay Pal.

On Thursday I bought some CDs and selected the 'free shipping' option which, like Amazon's, is a slow boat and usually doesn't ship for five to seven days. But Friday afternoon I got an email that said the order had shipped. Interestingly, the same thing happened with an Amazon order this week...next day shipping even though I had selected the slower, free option...16 hrs and 25 hrs to shipping, Buy.com and Amazon.com, respectively.:)

Bottom line -- I would recommend Buy.com at the very least for an early internet stop to check prices. And I would have no worries placing an order with them.

As for SD card readers...single format readers, i.e., SD-card only, are almost free these days. But you do have to watch for format compatibility as SD cards themselves go through changes...

FB

WalkinHome
03-31-2007, 12:48
Thanks for the tip-FYI this rebate offer dies the end of today! You must by it by midnight today or no rebate. I ordered it just for the cheap 2G SD card.

rusty075
03-31-2007, 12:57
That's actually very expensive for what it is.

I've been using one these for quite a while: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820223079

Cheaper, just as small, and no silly rebate form to deal with.

Earl Grey
03-31-2007, 22:40
That's actually very expensive for what it is.

I've been using one these for quite a while: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820223079

Cheaper, just as small, and no silly rebate form to deal with.

That $12 shipped. With the google discount the buy.com order comes out to $16 shipped but comes with a 2gig card and then if you use the rebate itll be $3.

rusty075
03-31-2007, 23:07
Doh, didn't even notice the 2gig card...

...I'll go back into my tent now. ;)