PDA

View Full Version : Best PRIVY on the AT

firemountain
03-31-2007, 08:16
There are so many, and I may have used most of them! A couple that come to mind as being different than normal. The privy at the shelter just south of High Point Sate Park in NJ is the fanciest hands down. A giant heavy duty porta potty type design with a real door handle and even a solar panel on the roof (not sure what for though). There was a shelter in VT that had a 'famous' gazebo privy which had been relocated from a shelter that is now on private land and no longer an official AT shelter. All sides were identical. I would say Eckersville, but when I stayed the privy was locked for the winter. I hear it flushes though...

DavidNH
03-31-2007, 08:59
One that comes to my mind.... at the new bromely Mtn shelter just above rt 11 in Vermont.

rafe
03-31-2007, 09:05
There's one in the 100-mile with cute little windows and curtains and magazines for reading... I forget which.

Doctari
03-31-2007, 09:21
The one at/for the Fontana Dam Shelter: Flush toilets, electric lights, running water, HEATED :p

Cosby Knob shelter, replacing a VERY over used "privy area".

Wise Shelter, no roof, no walls, up on a pedestal, windy location. Temp at time of use (not counting wind chill) about 10o. Yet I liked it, go figure. :rolleyes:

veteran
03-31-2007, 11:31
The Cloudland Privy (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=921&papass=&sort=3) at Thistle Hill Shelter in Vermont.

Nightwalker
03-31-2007, 19:45
Can't remember the shelter, but in VA, just North of Damascus, there is one called the Lorax privy. It's really just a nice, clean above-grounder, but it's my favorite because the entire text of Dr. Seuss' "The Lorax" is painstakingly printed on the walls. So far, no jerks have ruined it with the usual cwap.

moxie
03-31-2007, 22:53
The one at/for the Fontana Dam Shelter: Flush toilets, electric lights, running water, HEATED

:rolleyes:
The "privy" at Fontana Dam became the privy after segration ended. Before then it was the seperate but equal "colored" restroom.
The privy in the 100mile with curtans is at Antlers Campground. My nomination for the best privy is the one at Piazza Rock, "Your Move" is a 2 hole privy with a cribbage board between the seats,

TJ aka Teej
04-01-2007, 08:19
There's one in the 100-mile with cute little windows and curtains and magazines for reading... I forget which.
Antlers Campsite.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1172&catid=searchresults&searchid=7335

Desert Lobster
04-01-2007, 11:18
Does the one still exist with the clown's mouth for the hole?

Desert Lobster
04-01-2007, 11:20
Also what about the 2-seater(Piazza?) with the backgammon board in between?

DawnTreader
04-01-2007, 12:29

Yes, Pizza Rock shelter, just before Rangely....."It's Your Move"

d2m
04-01-2007, 12:40
don't forget the penta-privy at hexa-cuba shelter near cube mt. oh the d.o.c and thier silly names.

STEVEM
04-01-2007, 12:54
There are so many, and I may have used most of them! A couple that come to mind as being different than normal. The privy at the shelter just south of High Point Sate Park in NJ is the fanciest hands down. A giant heavy duty porta potty type design with a real door handle and even a solar panel on the roof (not sure what for though). There was a shelter in VT that had a 'famous' gazebo privy which had been relocated from a shelter that is now on private land and no longer an official AT shelter. All sides were identical. I would say Eckersville, but when I stayed the privy was locked for the winter. I hear it flushes though...

Though not directly on the AT here's an outhouse thats worth a visit. Its about 6 miles off the AT a little south of Milford, PA., near High Point State Park. This may be one of the most expensive "two holers" in the country.

http://www.theplumber.com/outhouse.html

UCONNMike
04-01-2007, 13:04
Hands Down, this is the best Privy on the AT (and it's in CT of course) (http://www.maine2georgia.com/Connecticut/slides/146.html)

Roland
04-01-2007, 14:50
When in need, the best privy is the nearest one!

Tin Man
04-01-2007, 14:56
Unfortunately, there is rarely a privy around when I need one. The upside is the cathole I use has plenty of ventilation.

rickb
04-01-2007, 20:01
Very romantic opinions posted above, but lies all!

Nothng beats an AMC Clivus Multrum at a hut.

Marta
04-01-2007, 20:34
Darlington Shelter privy. Totally amazing.

eventidecu
04-02-2007, 06:47
[quote=terrapin_too;347331]There's one in the 100-mile with cute little windows and curtains and magazines for reading... I forget which.[/quot
Forget which magazines? Or you just looking at the pictures again.:banana

veteran
04-02-2007, 10:32

Larger than some shelters

http://www.ellishiking.com/pictures/PA/CIMG4493.jpg

http://www.ellishiking.com/pictures/PA/CIMG4494.jpg

Footslogger
04-02-2007, 10:44

================================

That's darned near a "bathhouse" !!

'Slogger

icemanat95
04-02-2007, 10:55

The Solar Panel probably powers a ventilation fan or perhaps something in the pit that keeps the composting action going properly

FishBone
04-02-2007, 12:53
My favorite, so far, is the ADA approved, handicapped accessible, ramp and hand-rail equiped facility at the Thomas Knob shelter in the Grayson Highlands.:banana It's built to ridgid standards; the ramp allows easy and QUICK navigation even at night, and the handrails provide a secure and ready grip in the event of earthquake. How someone in a wheelchair will navigate that rocky path to the privy is a mystry to me, though!!!!:-?

freefall
04-02-2007, 22:43
My favorite, so far, is the ADA approved, handicapped accessible, ramp and hand-rail equiped facility at the Thomas Knob shelter in the Grayson Highlands.:banana It's built to ridgid standards; the ramp allows easy and QUICK navigation even at night, and the handrails provide a secure and ready grip in the event of earthquake. How someone in a wheelchair will navigate that rocky path to the privy is a mystry to me, though!!!!:-?

The privy at the shelter just south of the Buchanon, VA road crossing is the same way. Of course, the path down to the shelter is a .3 switchback with rocks galor so if someone made it down in a wheelchair, I doubt they would really need the ramp and rails.

Gaiter
04-03-2007, 08:56
the best kinds of privys are those w/o a door, got locked in one once, there was a church group that i had just been talking to as they stopped at the shelter for a break, i could hear them walking away as i was trying to get out. i nearly broke the door down to get out. I haven't shut a privy door w/ me in one since then.

on the bright side, it was the second shelter north of damascus, and it had a long dr. suess poem (blanking on the name starts with an 'L') written on the walls

Green Bean
04-03-2007, 10:43
I'd have say the best privy is the dirtiest privy. which ever that one is props! ~GB

D'Artagnan
04-03-2007, 11:18
the best kinds of privys are those w/o a door, got locked in one once, there was a church group that i had just been talking to as they stopped at the shelter for a break, i could hear them walking away as i was trying to get out. i nearly broke the door down to get out. I haven't shut a privy door w/ me in one since then.

on the bright side, it was the second shelter north of damascus, and it had a long dr. suess poem (blanking on the name starts with an 'L') written on the walls

Is that Lost Mountain shelter? The 'Lorax' poem?

Tin Man
04-03-2007, 17:48

If I may make a suggestion, if the door will not stay open by itself, why not prop it open? I always leave it open. For one thing, it helps alleviate the aromatic conditions and for another it lets in the light so you can see the spiders before they take a bite. Usually, there is enough privacy in the vicinity and if someone happens by, just smile and wave and pray they don't have a camera.

Jester2000
04-03-2007, 17:55
Privies!

The one in the hundred mile wilderness with the windows is called Fort Relief. Brought to you by New England, the land of bored maintainers and theme privies.

Cloudland privy at Thistle Hill, as already mentioned, looks like a mini pavilion. Trapper John privy has a rocking chair. One just south of Moosilauke used to have a drawbridge and an apple-shaped rotating seat, but sadly it has fallen into disrepair.

"Your Move" two-holer cribbage privy.

But for my money, and my butt, the best privies are at Allentown Shelter and The Priest Shelter. Partnership wasn't bad, though. And the one at Suches Gap, when I passed through, had a cool foot flushing toilet.

Gaiter
04-03-2007, 17:57
Is that Lost Mountain shelter? The 'Lorax' poem?
Yes, that one, i'm not the best with names

If I may make a suggestion, if the door will not stay open by itself, why not prop it open? I always leave it open. For one thing, it helps alleviate the aromatic conditions and for another it lets in the light so you can see the spiders before they take a bite. Usually, there is enough privacy in the vicinity and if someone happens by, just smile and wave and pray they don't have a camera.

That was the last privy door I ever shut.

dperry
04-06-2007, 11:15
The thought occurs that if it has a flush toilet, it's no longer a "privy." It's a "bathroom." :-?

Jester2000
04-06-2007, 17:07
The thought occurs that if it has a flush toilet, it's no longer a "privy." It's a "bathroom." :-?

Hmmm. Try taking a bath in one.

Moxie00
04-06-2007, 18:03
Hmmm. Try taking a bath in one.
When I hit Gooch Gap in Georgia it was less than 20 degrees, a combination of wind and freezig rain that turned to snow, 20 plus mph winds--if it hadn't been locked i would have gladdly slept in the privy. Instead i set uo my tent on Granny top and my Nalgene froze solid in my tent. The next 170 or so nights were somewhat better.:sun

Topcat
04-06-2007, 20:01
i'd say quarry gap is old school, and spring fresh. To do your business, you can ask for none better. Thank you Jim

rafe
04-15-2007, 12:21
Here's an ancient USENET post I just ran across in my archives...

A Quickie A.T. GA-ME Privy Review of 1993 from the Porcelain Dreamer (AT ' 93)

Best Privy in terms of Enviromental Soundness - Horns Pond Lean-to(ME)
Runner Ups: Garfield Ridge Campsite(NH), Liberty Springs(NH), Full Goose Shelter(NH)

Best View from the Throne - Montray Shelter(GA), Smarts Mtn. Shelter(NH), Chestnut Knob Shelter "The Mexican Dungeon"(VA)

Most Full Privy (or the jump 'n dump privy) - Icewater Springs(NC-TN)

Tightest Squeeze - Cable Gap Shelter(NC), Cheoah Bald Shelter(NC)

Most "Fragrant" Privy - Levi Long's(Bastian, VA)

Most Wildlife in Privy - Lambert's Meadow Shelter(VA) (encountered a snake, two mice, a skunk, and some hornets in a single sitting!)

Most Classy Throne - Trapper John Shelter(VA)

Best Log Cabin Revival - Wapiti Shelter(VA)

Most Beautiful and Classy Architecture and Best 360 deg. view - Cloudland Shelter(VT)

Most Homely Facade and Best Interior Decor - Little Bigalow Shelter(ME) (even has curtains and brass TP holders)

Best Carry-On-a-Conversation-While-Attending-to-other-Matters Privies - Little Bigalow(ME) and RPH Cabin(NY)

Besr Recumbent Privy - RPH Cabin(NY)

Worst Ass Slicer - No Business Knob Shelter(NC-TN) (the Green Monster)

Worst Privy for Splinters in the Rear - Pentaprivy - Hexacuba Shelter(NH)

Most Public Throne (here it is a public display for the entire shelter) - Cherry Gap Shelter(NC-TN)

Best Privies for Sunny Days (and, likewise, Worst Privies in Driving Rain) - Muskrat Creek Shelter(NC), Jerry's Cabin(NC-TN)
Runner Up: NJ section Privies

Worst Privy to get stuck at with a case of Beaver Fever - the M.C. Escher Privy at Jeffers Brook Shelter(NH)

Most Hazardous Privy - No Business Knob(NC-TN)

Most Politically Incorrect Privy - Pass Mtn. Hut(VA) ( has *his* and *her* sides)

Most Foresight used in chosing Site of Privy - John's Hollow Shelter(VA) (right uphill of spring)

Best Privy for uses other than Primary One - Fort Relief Privy at Antler's Camp(ME)

Most Portable Privy - Double Springs Shelter(NC-TN) (they had a toilet seat marked *Privy* hanging on a peg in the shelter)

Longest Haul to Privy - Hogback Ridge Shelter(NC-TN) (approx. 1/4 mile)

Most *Normal* Privy - Boy Scout Shelter(VA)

Best Decorated / Adorned Privy - Rusty's Hard Time Hollow

Best Privy Frank Lloyd Wright Inspired Design - Bryant Ridge Shelter(VA)

Snazziest Paintjobs - The Flowerpot(PA), Pine Knob Shelter(VA)

Most Ho-Hum Section for Privies (not necessarily bad) - MA/CT

Trail Club with Most Standardized Design - GATC; Runner up:NY-NJTC

Trail Club(s) with best emphasis on Privies - MATC, DOC

Trail Club(s) with skimpiest *accomadations* - TEHC, GSMHC, CMC

WORST PRIVY OVERALL - *The Green Monster*, No Business Knob(NC-TN) 0 flush handles
Runner Ups: *The Zoological Preserve Privy*, Lambert's Meadow(VA) 1 flush handle
*The Public Pavilion*, Cherry Gap Shelter(NC-TN) 1/2 flush handle

BEST PRIVY OVERALL - *The Little House in the Big Woods*, Little Bigalow Lean-to(ME) 5 flush handles
Runner Ups: *Victorian Cupola*, Cloudland Shelter(VT) 4 1/2 flush handles
Horn's Pond Privy(ME) 4 1/2 flush handles; *Fort Relief Privy*, Antler's Campsite(ME) 5 flush handles; *Falling Waters 2*, Bryant Ridge Shelter(VA) 4 1/2 flush handles

ed bell
04-15-2007, 12:50
Thats quite a gem you mined there, TT. Thanks for sharing....the post, that is.:sun

Sleepy the Arab
04-15-2007, 23:44
No Business Knob and Cherry Gap Shelters had privies once? Interesting...

jlb2012
04-16-2007, 07:54
Harper's Creek privy caused me to laugh once - there was a blue blaze on the underside of the seat cover - this shelter is just north of the Mau-Har trail turn off and I think someone was making a statement about blue blazing :D

Tipper
04-17-2007, 19:10
Never underestimate the abilities of people who use wheelchairs, especially if they made the commitment to hike the Trail. But be aware that accessibility is not only about people who use wheelchairs. Hikers with other physical disabilities benefit, as well. In fact, and as this and other threads have pointed out, MANY OF US benefit from facilities that are designed with accessibility in mind.
However, and get used to this idea, if it's man-made (ie privies, shelters), it is going to have to meet certain design standards to allow use by people with disabilities, whether you think it makes sense or not. This is already true on Forest Service lands when new facilities are built or older ones substantially altered. The Forest Service has a policy of Universal Access for the built environment. It is just a matter of time before all federal land management agencies fall into line on this.
True, someone who struggles to get to a shelter site could probably get to and use an inaccessible toilet. Chances are, they have already done that at the previous 1, 5, 10, 15 or more privies they encountered on their hike. But, if the ATC and their trail club partners decide that shelters, privies, picnic tables, decks, benches, and all the bells and whistles added on are necessary for the comfort and convenience of hikers (not just to protect the "resource" and prevent environmental damage - a LOT LESS building at shelter sites could still accomplish this - think "shelter creep"), then they have to provide facilities and features that are usable by EVERYONE who may find themselves at that site.
Peace to all.

The privy at the shelter just south of the Buchanon, VA road crossing is the same way. Of course, the path down to the shelter is a .3 switchback with rocks galor so if someone made it down in a wheelchair, I doubt they would really need the ramp and rails.

celt
04-17-2007, 20:25

In 2003 it was a cribbage board. Do they change it from time to time?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/945/cat/573

Does anyone remember the old DOC privy on Smarts Mountain that was modeled after a Delorean? It had a gullwing door.

Uncle Silly
04-19-2007, 17:59
Most Wildlife in Privy - Lambert's Meadow Shelter(VA) (encountered a snake, two mice, a skunk, and some hornets in a single sitting!)

:eek::eek::eek:

i think i'd be digging a cathole... hopefully i'd notice some of that before sitting down!!

LIhikers
04-20-2007, 07:42
. The privy at the shelter just south of High Point Sate Park in NJ is the fanciest hands down. A giant heavy duty porta potty type design with a real door handle and even a solar panel on the roof (not sure what for though)

The solar panel runs a ventilation fan