PDA

View Full Version : Greasy Creek

bjwagner
03-31-2007, 08:59
:( I had to leave trail before planned due to ankle injury and when I got to the "The Friendly" discovered that it was closed. The neighbor proceeded in telling me that they did not "like my kiind and to get my a__ backup the hill" or he would release his dogs on me. Would not recomend stopping there.

rafe
03-31-2007, 09:01
Where is "Greasy Creek?"

mnof1000v
03-31-2007, 11:53
I don't know if "The Friendly" has actually closed, or if they were just closed temporarily. If they have closed their doors permanently, it is a shame. What I do know is that CC and Packrat have had numerous problems with the neighbor you are referring to. He just doesn't like the idea of thru-hikers, and is always a bit of an a-hole about the whole thing. That said, I stayed at The Greasy Creek Friendly last year, and it was great. CC is one of the nicest people on the trail, and you'll likely see her at Trail Days.;)

frieden
03-31-2007, 12:40
Where is "Greasy Creek?"

I second that question. I'm sitting here with my Companion, and can't find it (probably passed right over it a million times). I don't want to stop there, because the law wouldn't protect Ed from that guy, but it would punish me for protecting Ed. I'd rather just avoid all that, if possible.

frieden
03-31-2007, 12:52
Found it! I'm showing pg. 50, right before Clyde Smith Shelter. Hostel #828-688-9948; [email protected]

Pokey2006
04-01-2007, 05:41
Are you SURE it closed? If you heard that news from the neighbor, most like it is not closed at all. They've had issues with the neighbor, makes a stay there quite interesting. I heard from a NOBO hiker who just stayed there in the past week or two, so if it really is closed, it closed very, very recently.

Chances are better that the crazy neighbor led you wrong.

Even with the crazy neighbor, it's a place worth stopping. It's just before Roan Mountain going NOBO.

The Old Fhart
04-01-2007, 08:50
In 1998 hikers were warned not to even stop at the road crossing in Hughes Gap (just before the climb up Roan) because of the locals.

astrogirl
04-01-2007, 21:21
The neighbor at Greasy Creek is a real trip. He was probably lying.

When I walked by there, he kind of said, kind of growled to his dogs "you go get that hiker, go get her"

I had been warned about the whole thing 15 minutes before, so it didn't freak me out. I have a picture of that guy's fence actually:

http://flickr.com/photos/astrogirl/36495428/

astrogirl
04-01-2007, 21:22
gosh, I didn't say previously, but I stayed there and they slacked me over Roan. They were really nice, and I'd recommend the place to any hiker, provided you can have a sense of humor about the jackass next door.

Rebel, with a Cause!
04-02-2007, 10:02
I just got off the phone with CC and She is still open for this year. Packrat is gone ( the neighbor drove him nuts ) but she IS open for business. If you get there and she is Not home, Go on the porch and use the Phone to call her at work ( instructions by the phone ) and she will be right there.

Avoid the neighbor, enjoy your stay and tell CC The Rebel said Hi.

Cya on the Trail

Fannypack
04-09-2007, 17:35
just read entry from Sunday, April 08, 2007 :http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=172914

Bush Whacker's 2007 & others stayed at Greasy Creek

Gaiter
04-09-2007, 17:59
I've heard some crazy stories about the neighbor to greasy creek: he'll turn on lights, ride is lawn mower at 3am, take down signs, and even put up signs saying that its closed. Is he the one that uses the chain saw (minus the saw part) to scare hikers??? They have tried calling the sheriff, but there are no noise and light ordances up there to stop him.

Fannypack
04-09-2007, 18:05
I stayed there last yr & everything u said about the neighbor is what CC & Packrat told me about the neighbor.

When u come down the road & his place is on your left, just keep moving to the right onto the Greasy Creek - Friendly property. Don't stop until u reach CC's home, not far....

mnof1000v
04-09-2007, 19:55
...one more thing... Just because you stayed at Miss Janet's doesn't mean you can't stop at the Friendly. CC is one of the nicest people on the trail, and she makes a mean salad. And the sundae is cheap enough you might order 2 or 3. Besides, it makes that trip up Roan all the more exciting when you do it on a full stomach.

Turtle2
04-09-2007, 20:07
That neighbor is a real trip. Last year he started mowing at 6 am (must be a daily thing) and the night before he was revving the chainsaw when I dragged in there at 9:00. We just sat and laughed. His dogs are fenced inside his yard. My only complaint was the long walk to Friendly's after a long hot day.

spittinpigeon
04-09-2007, 21:16
CC told me that guy is all talk. Easily punked down if you call him on it. We got to see him ride his motorcycle with his jousting spear (a broom handle).

orangebug
04-09-2007, 21:23
While I did not perform a Mental Status Exam on their neighbor, I can assure you that he is FUBAR. I'm sorry to hear if Packrat and CC have seperated, as they were very nice folks to meet, especially after a rainy cold walk heading toward Roan. It was wonderful to get dry and warm before that climb.

It is not all that far off trail, but seems that way on the way down.

Teatime
04-11-2007, 01:33
When I hiked that section last year, a T-Storm came up just as I reached the road leading down the Friendly. I was very tired and just didn't feel like setting up my tent in a T-Storm so I hiked quickly over to the GC Friendly and, as everyone has said, CC was very kind and made me feel right at home. She even had a cold beer ready for me after supper. We sat out on her porch in the twilight, me with my beer and her with her wine...a nice quiet, relaxing time. Just what the doctor ordered. I would definately stop there again. She warned me about the neighbor and I saw the dog, but him I did not see.

Doctari
04-11-2007, 07:13
Yea, the neighbor (first house on the LEFT) has serious mental issues. His elevator don’t go all the way to the top, and it skips quite a few floors on the way up.
STAY AWAY FROM THE HOUSE ACROSS THE ROAD FROM THE FRIENDLY!!!

The Greasy Creek Friendly (the owners thought the word “Hostel” seemed a bit harsh, even though they do know what it really means) is to the east (right for NOBOs) of Greasy creek gap. The friendly is the first house on the RIGHT! Very very nice people!! Hey, they run a place called FRIENDLY :D

Doctari.