PDA

View Full Version : New Chacos?

Yahtzee
03-31-2007, 18:18
Looking for some feedback on the new, lighterweight models they released last year. Wondering if anyone has had them out for a good long hike yet. Would love to hear from someone who wore the older heavier ones.

I loaded up on the old ones at the REI sale last year. But could go the new route for hiking if they prove to be worth it.

Trail Yeti
03-31-2007, 18:51
NOT worth it. They are lighter, but my old ones are not only more comfortable, but the old "hiking" sole is way better than the new one.

Yahtzee
03-31-2007, 19:02
I thought the new sole looked and FELT weird. Could you feel those ridges on the sole when you walked? If i remember, there were two ridges protruding out just a bit from the sole. Anyway, felt weird walking around the store.

Thanks for the input. Glad I have two unused pair of the old Chacos plus the one's I am wearing now.

Moon Monster
04-01-2007, 12:00
This issue is directly related to Austin Wilcox's questions to this board last year. To sum up that thread, he was asking what our community would think about a light Chaco. I thought the general public would embrace them, but thru-hikers may not. Other posters envisioned them as camp/town shoes, but Chaco was obviously envisioning them for hiking. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9151

Are all current models of the new type? This would trouble me if they eliminated the traditional type without a phase-in, when the traditional was so well loved by some.

Moon Monster
04-01-2007, 12:02
To clarify, Austin Wilcox was working with the design dept. at Chaco.

Yahtzee
04-01-2007, 12:37
Thanks for the link. Nice to see Chaco doing some outreach. I have had trouble contacting the co. in the past. Can't complain too much, they make a damn fine product.

I am not sure if they discontinued making the heavier soled version. All I know is the outfitter near my house stopped carrying them.

One would think Chaco would have come back and started a thread to get feedback on how the new sandal is doing.

My only problems with my Chaco's are the straps wear down before the soles. At the edge by my big toe, the strap always frays and snaps. That is how my 3 sets of Chaco's have died.

I average about 1500 miles a pair. Plus, years of town walking.

RedneckRye
04-01-2007, 17:47
Chacos can be restrapped as well as resoled, that way your old ones don't have to die.
Info should be on their website, I want to say it is about $35 to get them restrapped and maybe a bit more for new soles.

mudhead
04-01-2007, 20:06
Best of my knowledge all are now of the new composite. They may have something new for this summer. I held out for the new type, was not impressed, and them could not find the old until last week. Typical, I dither around until its too late.

RedneckRye
04-02-2007, 16:26
It is a slow day here at the shop, so I gave Chaco a call. They are out of the old Terreno soles (the Vibram boot type sole they used up thru '05), but old sandals with the heavier/ denser footbeds can be resoled with the new Unaweep or Diamond Stealth soles. $36 or $42. Getting them restrapped is $36, that inclueds new buckles as well.
Give them a call 970-527-7413.

Trail Yeti
04-02-2007, 19:32
they can't resole the Terreno????? That Sucks!

Yahtzee
04-02-2007, 20:41
I will cherish my last two unused pair old-style Z1's.

D'Artagnan
04-03-2007, 08:47
I just bought my first pair of Chaco's this past weekend after reading and hearing how much everyone liked them (especially Tha Wookie's endorsement). They are the Z2 model (toe loop with single strapping). They fit great in the store so I boxed them up and went along my way. Saturday afternoon I put them on and got everything adjusted. Again, they felt great -- initially. The longer I wore them, the more I noticed the raised section rubbing against the side of my foot below my ankle. After a few hours, it really became an annoyance and slightly painful.

Was the older style designed this way? I've thought about taking a razor knife to the rubber and just modifying it. Any thoughts?

Yahtzee
04-03-2007, 09:13
That was the problem I had with 'em just walking around the outfitter. That is just bizarre. I would guess it wears down after a while, but who wants to get there?

No, the old Chaco's, at least the Walkabout sole, were big and clunky, essentially the bottom of a big pair of boots with straps attached. They can still be found on the web. I saw a pair yesterday for $50.

RedneckRye
04-03-2007, 09:21
I just bought my first pair of Chaco's this past weekend after reading and hearing how much everyone liked them (especially Tha Wookie's endorsement). They are the Z2 model (toe loop with single strapping). They fit great in the store so I boxed them up and went along my way. Saturday afternoon I put them on and got everything adjusted. Again, they felt great -- initially. The longer I wore them, the more I noticed the raised section rubbing against the side of my foot below my ankle. After a few hours, it really became an annoyance and slightly painful.

Was the older style designed this way? I've thought about taking a razor knife to the rubber and just modifying it. Any thoughts?

Chacos are available in wide, they are a bit (maybe 1/8 - 3/16") wider between the pegs where the heel side straps run into the footbed.