PDA

View Full Version : Salisbury to Jug End road

susquehannaslim
03-31-2007, 20:46
I'll be walking from Salisbury to Jug End road on the AT later in April and I have some questions you all might be able to help me out with:
1. Is there any hunting in that area that I need to worry about?
2. What's the bear situation like? I understand that some bear boxes have been set up at the shelters
3. I'm expecting to be able to pick up water at Riga Shelter, Sages Ravine, and Glen Brook. Anyone hear of problems with water supply
4. Has anyone heard of any vandalism on cars left at the Jug End road parking lot/

Thanks for your help

slim

rafe
03-31-2007, 22:09
I can't imagine there not being water in Sages Ravine. Beautiful place.

Yahtzee
03-31-2007, 22:31
Shouldn't have problem with water. Haven't heard of bears in the area, I'd be more worried about porcupine. Sages Ravine is excellent and Race Mt. is the first grand view for thruhikers in ages. Should really have a grand time. I would beware of the final half-mile to Jug End. If I am not mistaken that is one of the buggiest areas on the trail. Scream inducing on its worst day.

rafe
04-01-2007, 00:07
The day I went over Race Mtn. was one of the hottest days I've ever spent on the trail. Just beware, there's no shade at all on the summit ridge. Bring sun block & a wide-brim hat. Usually I love wide-open ridge walks.

oruoja
04-01-2007, 10:00
Went from Salisbury to North Adams last year in late July. The section to Jug End was great as I had a clear and low humidity day. Riga shelter was posted due to frequent bear sightings, but they have a bear box to stow food. Spent the night there and was surprised to have the place to myself and caught a great sunrise. Water was no problem. Don't know about the parking situation. For those who remember the old route the trail does not really come out at the base of Jug End where the old pipe spring was and also where the parking lot is. You cross a dirt road where if you take a right and go .1 or so mile on your right is a stream. If time permits you might consider hiking out to US 7 and the Corn Crib might let you park there if you inquire. The last few miles are easy, but do pass through swampy areas. Surprisingly last July the bugs were not too bad.

The Solemates
04-01-2007, 14:01
nice area. was just there again this past fall and did a loop hike around frissell. wonderful views up there on some of the mountains. north of there though, near the jug end, we had the worst mosquitos of our entire thru.

Tin Man
04-01-2007, 14:21
We did that section 6 years ago - no issues, beautiful area and the ridge walk is to die for. Just be careful on Jug End if it is raining. There is some bare rock that can get quite slick - we took turns falling on our butts!

Enjoy your hike!

Chef2000
04-01-2007, 19:19
Tin man , water will be no problem, except for N of the the hemlocks shelter to Jug end road, were there is the best spring on the MA AT. At Jug end road that is

Ill be doing Race MT to Rte 2, North adams On April 14 thru 21

astrogirl
04-01-2007, 21:28
Shouldn't have problem with water. Haven't heard of bears in the area, I'd be more worried about porcupine. Sages Ravine is excellent and Race Mt. is the first grand view for thruhikers in ages. Should really have a grand time. I would beware of the final half-mile to Jug End. If I am not mistaken that is one of the buggiest areas on the trail. Scream inducing on its worst day.

Sages Ravine is very beautiful. When I was there, it was so humid it was like *swimming*. After that, I got caught in the open on Race, almost, during a huge rainstorm. I went to the campsite and stayed there for maybe 16 hours, then hiked on in a light rain.

The hike down Jug End was slippery moss on steep rocks. After that, there was the section you mentioned. A lot of bugs. Mosquitoes chewed me up.

I had ice cream in Sheffield and this did not sufficiently cheer me up. I went up to the Days Inn in Great Barrington and stopped hiking for the year. I did over 400 miles that year, I think.

rafe
04-01-2007, 23:30
After that, I got caught in the open on Race, almost, during a huge rainstorm. I went to the campsite and stayed there for maybe 16 hours, then hiked on in a light rain.

I wonder which is worse... Race in a thunderstorm, or Race on a 95 degree humid day. I was literally dashing from one shade spot to the next. In better weather, it would be beautiful, I'm sure.

gsingjane
04-02-2007, 05:59
I doubt that bugs will be much of a problem for you in CT/MA in late April. This is one of my favorite times to be out and we have our annual Easter Vacation section hike during this time... haven't seen hardly any bugs around this time of year at all.

Jane in CT

The Solemates
04-02-2007, 10:52
I doubt that bugs will be much of a problem for you in CT/MA in late April. This is one of my favorite times to be out and we have our annual Easter Vacation section hike during this time... haven't seen hardly any bugs around this time of year at all.

Jane in CT

We were there mid-May and they were worse than the swamps in the Deep South where we go fishin.

Cosmo
04-05-2007, 21:57
You may find some snowy spots, but will have no problem with water at the overnight sites (or any place else on the trail in April). Bear Boxes are installed from Riga to Glen Brook. Help us train the local bears to look elsewhere for food--use the boxes. Late enough in April may get you into some minor blackfly activity.

I'll be installing some new trail signage in the area in April--I'll be the guy with the ladder.

Cosmo

susquehannaslim
04-17-2007, 20:09
A person with a ladder on the trail will stand out. I'll be the guy with the smiley baseball cap and the overloaded backpack. I'll probably fit right in.

spittinpigeon
04-17-2007, 21:34
Went from Salisbury to North Adams last year in late July. The section to Jug End was great as I had a clear and low humidity day. Riga shelter was posted due to frequent bear sightings, but they have a bear box to stow food. Spent the night there and was surprised to have the place to myself and caught a great sunrise. Water was no problem. Don't know about the parking situation. For those who remember the old route the trail does not really come out at the base of Jug End where the old pipe spring was and also where the parking lot is. You cross a dirt road where if you take a right and go .1 or so mile on your right is a stream. If time permits you might consider hiking out to US 7 and the Corn Crib might let you park there if you inquire. The last few miles are easy, but do pass through swampy areas. Surprisingly last July the bugs were not too bad.

That spring was dry when I went through last September, I was getting dehydrated on my way up to Hemlock.

MrHappy
04-17-2007, 22:26
I went to school at Berkshire School, 3 miles down the Elbow Trail from the summit of Mt. Everett, so I've spent a LOT of time hiking in this area.

April is mud season in Massachusetts. Your problem will not be lack of water, but rather too much water. The trail on the south side of Mount Everett (near Race Brook) tends to turn into a river after any amount of rain. You'll definitely want waterproof shoes and gaiters. Rain pants wouldn't be a bad idea. As others have said, be careful on Jug end as it can become quite slippery.

I don't know much about the bears, but I haven't seen any or heard of anyone who has.

As for vandalism, I wouldn't worry. The local stoners go out to Jug End occasionally, but they're harmless. Most people in the Great Barrington area love hikers.

If you let me know exactly when you'll be out there, perhaps I can arrange some trail magic. I need to do a couple of short day hikes to start getting reconditioned.

MrHappy
04-17-2007, 22:26
Oh Yeah -- Don't drink out of guilder pond ;-)

MrHappy
04-23-2007, 10:55
Saw a hiker at the RT. 41 crossing a few days ago and thought it might have been you, susquehanaslim. Would've stopped but the car was full. Hope you have a great hike thru one of my favorite pieces of the AT (that i've been on anyways).

Eureka
04-26-2007, 20:38
I left my car at Jug End road for 3 days last year with no problems. Seems like a fairly out of the way spot. Enjoy your hike.

Driver8
10-24-2010, 01:33
I wonder which is worse... Race in a thunderstorm, or Race on a 95 degree humid day. I was literally dashing from one shade spot to the next. In better weather, it would be beautiful, I'm sure.

When we did it, it was 70 degrees and perfect. The views up there are amazing - 360 from the summit and the cliff are awesome. One cool thing not everyone catches - in the right spots on the cliffs, you can get a nice view of Greylock framed by Mt. Race's cliffline. I love the final ascent to Race's summit from the north, dramatic, emphatic and beautiful. One of my faves. It's a wonder that Everett, so imposing from miles away, is a dud for views at the summit (though there are a couple good northeasterly views as one heads NOBO from the summit on the Trail), while Race, from miles away north and east, looks unimpressive but, up close pays off with some of the best views for many miles in either direction. (Race does look very impressive from Bear Mountain, however, where you get a great sense of how pronounced the fall-off is eastward from the cliffs.)

Have to get back out way way soon - Jonesin' for it!

HappyHiker74-75
10-14-2022, 15:46
That spring was dry when I went through last September, I was getting dehydrated on my way up to Hemlock.

here is a shot of the Jug End Spring and former campsite

Patrickjd9
10-14-2022, 18:06
I hiked this area at the end of September and expected it to be dry based on earlier reports. North of Rt. 44/Salisbury to Lee, MA/US 20, water wasn't scarce.

HankIV
10-14-2022, 21:20
Bear in “downtown” Salisbury. Yep, they got them.

HankIV
10-14-2022, 21:26
Can’t figure out how to insert the pic after I selected it. Oh well, saw a big bear in the alley by LaBonne’s