PDA

View Full Version : American Woodcock

woodsy
03-31-2007, 21:43
Anyone here ever get startled by one of these guys. (http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/American_Woodcock_dtl.html)
They are a pretty cool bird that will fly up almost vertical just before U step on them...and scare the crap out of U worse than a Patridge. Just wondering how abundant they are up and down the length of the AT.

rafe
03-31-2007, 22:14
Are these the same as grouse? You'll see (or hear) them in the Whites. I once flushed a wild turkey (in VA) that scared the bejezus outta me -- just cuz it was so close-by and unexpected.

weary
03-31-2007, 22:20
Anyone here ever get startled by one of these guys. (http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/American_Woodcock_dtl.html)
They are a pretty cool bird that will fly up almost vertical just before U step on them...and scare the crap out of U worse than a Patridge. Just wondering how abundant they are up and down the length of the AT.
I've been amused and fasinated by the antics and flight of the woodcock, but never startled by same.

I have often been startled by ruffed grouse (partridge).

Weary

coldspring
03-31-2007, 22:49
It must be breeding season. About two weeks ago, here in Missouri, me and some buddies drove a pickup through some old fields at night and must have startled 2 dozen in the road. I never realized they were so thick, as least in that area. They're tough to catch. As you might have guessed, I'm easily amused after a few beers.

I love a little excitement on trails, as long as it's something harmless, like a woodcock, grouse, or quail, doing the startling!

woodsy
03-31-2007, 22:57
That's what amazes me is how close they let you get to them before they take flight!

TJ aka Teej
04-01-2007, 07:48
Are these the same as grouse?
Nope, the Timberdoodle is much smaller. Males jump upward in a buzzy twisty flight at dawn and dusk. They seem to like the edges of forest and field and will return to the same area year after year. The open spaces at Katahdin Stream Campground are where I see my first each year when I go up every May 15th.

mudhead
04-01-2007, 08:29
Just read the description linked above. Sizes/wingspans sure seem bigger than I've ever seen. I will defer to the wisdom of Cornell.

Ones we get are like sparrows on steroids. Lie like Pinnocheo(?).

Doesn't matter how many times it happens, grouse can just pucker me up. Why must they wait till the absolute last second?

Beats copperheads tho...

woodsy
04-01-2007, 08:52
This site (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/resources/wildnotes/pub313.htm)agrees with previous posted site on size of bird. Other interesting tidbits like how they flush at your feet . These guys have the cammo thing going for them. I have not heard them called "Bog Suckers" before but it makes sense cause boggy areas and alder thickets are usually where i've seen them.

mudhead
04-01-2007, 09:01
I figured Cornell knew what the scoop was. Wonder why I get the runts?

You tromping thru alders on purpose? I heard a rumor that one can find large deer tracks in the alders...

Some people walk softer in the woods than others. Maybe that is why they have chosen to torment you by exploding at your feet.

Reminds one they have a pulse!

mudhead
04-02-2007, 10:16
I am dense. They are including the bill.

Never heard of timberdoodle...

Now stumpthumper, I have heard of!

icemanat95
04-02-2007, 11:12
The Spruce Grouse in the Whites are a trip. Totally unafraid of humans. They say it's because they taste so bad, they have few natural predators. I've had to step over them on narrow stretches of trail, to get by them.

That's a different bird from the woodcock though.

woodsy
04-07-2007, 12:45
Took this pictute of a Woodcock (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/scan0003-2.jpg) this morning up close and personal from about 12' away with 5 by zoom. It is having trouble finding bare and thawed ground and has taken up residence under the deck of camp.The flash made it's eye white.

emerald
04-07-2007, 13:12
A thirsty Mainer I once knew announced he was drier than a woodpecker's nest in a popple stump! :-? Now there's something you're not apt to hear elsewhere.

I'm not sure how what I just posted relates to timberdoodles, but I thought you might enjoy it anyway.

woodsy
04-07-2007, 13:24
Drier than a chub out of water? Now that Woodcock in the picture is thirsty for worms and isn't having much success penetrating frozen ground with it's beak. And that story about the early bird getting the worm?

emerald
04-07-2007, 14:27
I have to go to the bait store to purchase worms for the starving robins.

Worms might be available at Mt. Vernon, but the robins are already lined up miles deep.:(

woodsy
04-07-2007, 15:38
I would not have known this woodcock was here if my mixed up breed dog had not flushed it out from under the deck. It did not fly far before it landed on the partially open ground where I took it's picture. In the meantime, the dog has learned the word woodcock and is on alert wanting to keep it moving. The woodcock does not seem concerned with the dog, LOL. It is still hanging around but I am not planning on buying it any worms.

boarstone
04-07-2007, 17:46
Here in southern Piscatiquis county the woodcock has returned for the season...saw one on the roadside and almost run it over...although it's hunted up here in Oct bird season, can't say as I'd waste the shot to bag it..too small...:-?