PDA

View Full Version : In Search of Green Hornet

ms doolittle
04-01-2007, 10:38
He started from Springer on Tues (3/27). I suspect he was in Neels Gap for food pickup on Friday 3/30. He's looking to be in Bryson City @ NOC around 4/10. Anyone run into him?

BTW, Mtn Squid, if you read this, it was great meeting you at Springer! I was the girl with Green Hornet. Sorry I wasn't more coherent. But, well, you know... :( :o ;)

ms doolittle
04-02-2007, 21:52
Well, I heard from him today. Turns out he's in Hiawesse (sp?) nursing blisters.

Anyway, keep me posted if anyone runs into him along the way. :D

Thanks!!

ms doolittle
04-13-2007, 16:38
Okay, I spoke with Hornet on Sunday, the 8th. He was in Bryson City at the time.

Per Uncle Tom's trailjournal, they hit Fontana Dam on Tuesday, the 10th. Which means they headed into the Smokey's on Wed. Uncle Tom's Trailjournal stated they would be hitting Hot Springs, NC around the 18th.

Hornet's b-day is the 23rd and I wanted to make sure that a package got to him and members of the Maine Train that he is hiking with. I thought he was going to be at Standing Bear Farm on or around the 20th, but now I'm not so sure.....

If you were in my shoes, would you try to get a second day delivery to Standing Bear or get the package to Hot Springs (about 35 miles past SBF) where he has another pick up?

Can anybody guage how long it takes to get through the Smokey's? Up until Fontana Dam, they were averaging about 15'ish miles/day, give or take.

bigben
04-13-2007, 21:56
Two weeks ago when I took the Gorilla to G-burg, he told me he started 3/15 from Springer, and he was to Newfound Gap at noon on 4/3, which is about halfway through the GSMNP. Going by this, 15 days from Springer to Fontana sounds about right.

ms doolittle
04-14-2007, 00:49
Yeah, I had no doubt that they were at Fontana Dam, as I spoke with Ben on Sunday, the 8th. I guess I'm just trying to guage when he's going to be to Standing Bear and Hot Springs.

I'm also confused as to why he did two mail drops so close together. I think I'm just sending the package to Hot Springs and hopes he calls when he doesn't get the package I told him to expect at Standing Bear (not part of his normal food drop, just a little "off-trail magic", which I'm getting good at). Ugh....

ms doolittle
04-19-2007, 12:04
He made it to Standing Bear Farms on Tues. Should be in Hot Springs today to pick up his b-day package and food drop for the next 100 miles.

He and another guy decided when everyone else was bailing to Gatlinburg over the weekend due to weather, to stay on the trail. They faired well, but said some thru's were evacuated due to hypothermia.

Tuesday morning, they hiked from 6" of snow straight into Spring. Go figure.

ms doolittle
05-25-2007, 19:36
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/angry018.gif Do you know how hard it is to track down an AWOL thru-hiker? I mean, seriously! I've called his stop at Daleville, I called the Happy Feet Motel in Glasgow. At least I know he picked up his boxes in Daleville. I don't know what day he was there, though.

This is how I feel right now: http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/angry032.gif

To complicate things more, I found out yesterday that I would be doing the rest of his food drops. I have no idea when he's to be in Waynesboro and his last communication with anyone was 5/14 from Pearisburg.

Now, it just so happens I'm going to be in the area tomorrow. I wonder if SNP has cell coverage.... I guess, if he wants his food, he'll call. :p

mountain squid
05-25-2007, 20:27
Don't worry...he'll show up. He might be keeping a low profile while fighting crime somewhere http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/character0049.gif...

Pearisburg is approx 220 mi from Waynesboro. If he averages 15 mi/day that is about 14 days hiking. Did he come back to Trail Days though? Regardless, if you haven't already, I think I'd mail the Waynesboro pkg right awayhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/chores025.gif...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

ms doolittle
05-25-2007, 20:35
I'm estimating that he'll be in Waynesboro either tomorrow or Sunday, but still not certain.

I was thinking about checking with Rockfish Gap Outfitters to see if I could leave the package with them (if I can't find him). Since the PO will be closed on Sunday and Monday, I figured this might be a good way for him to get a hold of his package quicker.

He said he was going to take advantage of the empty trails and shelters during Trail Days.

That's the Green Hornet for ya. Fighting AT crime wherever he is. ;) Coulda' used his life saving abilities last week.......

mountain squid
05-25-2007, 21:02
You might also leave it at the visitor's center at Rockfish Gap just off of I64. The trail passes right by there. Either way, he has to know to look for it. Good Luck http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/confused0082.gif...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Ewker
05-25-2007, 21:04
MsDooLittle is gonna make someone a great wife...running all over he place looking for him...he taught you well :p

ms doolittle
05-25-2007, 21:15
He didn't teach me crap!

I'm heading down to catch up with spindlette and no_granola. I'm going to try and get my mind off of events that happened last week, hopefully.... Not really up for much backpacking yet, so I thought I'd hunt Hornet's butt down.

Ewker's just looking for a butt whoopin'. :p Wait, I know Ewker. He might like that just a bit.

ms doolittle
05-25-2007, 21:17
MsDooLittle is gonna make someone a great wife...running all over he place looking for him...he taught you well :p
Hey, aren't you backpacking with Woodzie this weekend?

Ewker
05-25-2007, 22:31
yep, meeting her in the morning for a weekend trip to the Bridgestone/Firestone Wilderness

ms doolittle
05-25-2007, 22:35
yep, meeting her in the morning for a weekend trip to the Bridgestone/Firestone Wilderness
Tell her I said "Hello" and have a safe trip. :)

jmcgarrahan
05-26-2007, 13:44
Green Hornet made contact with Ms Dolittle this morning, he is in fact in Waynesboro, where she will hand deliver his food drop. Her estimation turns out to have been right on.