PDA

View Full Version : Wolves around Wayah Bald?

MoodyBluer
04-01-2007, 10:38
A thru named Diesel http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=171309 said that folks have seen Wolves and Coyotes around Wayah. What do y'all think? Coyotes I believe as I've seen them on the trail occasionally in Ga. and seen them sniffing around my camp at Addis Gap whilst in my tent...but Wolves? Sure it's possible but methinks that there is too much development in the mountain habitats to support any viable, long-term populations of wolves. Then again, since Coyotes are one of Wolves favorite prey animals and since Coyotes are definitely on the increase...well, who knows?

Moon Monster
04-01-2007, 10:58
My bet is they're all coyotes. Would an untrained eye know the difference? Red wolves can supposedly interbreed with coyotes, and they are somewhat similar in size and color; maybe a few inches different in height? I couldn't size one up that well from a distance.

Red wolves were native to NC and TN until early in the 20th century. They were reintroduced in the Smokey's in the 1990s, but that program failed. A successful reintroduction is underway in Eastern NC. http://www.fws.gov/alligatorriver/redwolf.html
Gray wolves also were known in the mountains pre-Civil War or so.

Still, seeing a coyote is cool enough.

eventidecu
04-01-2007, 11:04
I saw on the news last night they caught a cyote in Charlotte in a park. I doubt wolves are anywhere near here in NC.

Brushy Sage
04-01-2007, 11:05
I understand that Wayah is the Cherokee name for wolf. Maybe they (wolves) are naturally attracted to the area.

MoodyBluer
04-02-2007, 13:49
My bet is they're all coyotes. Would an untrained eye know the difference? Red wolves can supposedly interbreed with coyotes, and they are somewhat similar in size and color; maybe a few inches different in height? I couldn't size one up that well from a distance.

Red wolves were native to NC and TN until early in the 20th century. They were reintroduced in the Smokey's in the 1990s, but that program failed. A successful reintroduction is underway in Eastern NC. http://www.fws.gov/alligatorriver/redwolf.html
Gray wolves also were known in the mountains pre-Civil War or so.

Still, seeing a coyote is cool enough.

I also think that they saw Coyotes...If it had been Wolves methinks that would've made the news nationally...been so long since Wolves were in the Southeast.

Seeing Coyotes at Addis Gap in the fall of "05 was a little unnerving as there were two that I saw sniffing around the fire ring (which I hadn't used)maybe 20 feet from my tent as I was unsure what kind of mentality they had as a pack. I think they have a real fear of humans though as I just coughed loudly to get their attention and they scampered off. Heard them howling later somewhere up on Kelly Knob as that is the kick-ass mountain Addis Gap is at the base of.

Ron Haven
04-02-2007, 19:58
I also think that they saw Coyotes...If it had been Wolves methinks that would've made the news nationally...been so long since Wolves were in the Southeast.

Seeing Coyotes at Addis Gap in the fall of "05 was a little unnerving as there were two that I saw sniffing around the fire ring (which I hadn't used)maybe 20 feet from my tent as I was unsure what kind of mentality they had as a pack. I think they have a real fear of humans though as I just coughed loudly to get their attention and they scampered off. Heard them howling later somewhere up on Kelly Knob as that is the kick-ass mountain Addis Gap is at the base of.I saw a bear at Addis Gap one time also.

Chip
04-02-2007, 20:24
I saw a gray fox a couple of years ago in the Abrams Creek area of the Smokies. :)

Newb
04-03-2007, 07:34
I killed and ate a wolf at Addis Gap last year. So I know they're there.

Heater
04-03-2007, 07:59
A thru named Diesel http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=171309 said that folks have seen Wolves and Coyotes around Wayah. What do y'all think? Coyotes I believe as I've seen them on the trail occasionally in Ga. and seen them sniffing around my camp at Addis Gap whilst in my tent...but Wolves? Sure it's possible but methinks that there is too much development in the mountain habitats to support any viable, long-term populations of wolves. Then again, since Coyotes are one of Wolves favorite prey animals and since Coyotes are definitely on the increase...well, who knows?

In one of Diesel's later entries the "wolf" had a collar. Turned out the "wolf" was someone's Husky running loose. :rolleyes:

Pretty funny, actually... :D

Coyotes are everywhere, though.

mweinstone
04-03-2007, 08:30
saw a huge red wolf last march at the start of my walk. in panthers gap. how cool it that? about fifty feet or less standing still on the trail looking at me. i had stopped to get somthing and was motionless when she stepped on the trailand froze. i knew the next flinch i made she would bolt and i also knew that this was a moment i could stare at her . then i moved my arm fast and she bolted. i ran to the spot and watched her bound away. she traversed the four undulating hills at about mach 3. it was a great great thing i got to see. it really was more like 15 or 20 feet.

MoodyBluer
04-03-2007, 09:39
I killed and ate a wolf at Addis Gap last year. So I know they're there.

Impossible...anyone with a handle of Newb would be devoured instantly by a Wolf...:D

Rhino-lfl
04-03-2007, 09:46
saw a huge red wolf last march...

Red wolfs are pretty small, under 60lbs. Grey wolfs can be upwards of 130lbs.

icemanat95
04-03-2007, 10:14
Predators are being quietly reintroduced all over the place. Mountain Lions are definitely coming back in the northeast. Don't know if there are breeding populations yet, but sightings are on the rise. I have also heard credible reports of wolf reintroductions in the Berkshires. I think that it is inevitable that we are going to see widespread reintroductions of these critters across the US, for good or ill. It'll mean we can't take backcountry safety completely for granted anymore, but it will also mean greater biological diversity out there and a more naturally balanced set of ecosystems...hopefully.