PDA

View Full Version : DWG to Katahdin

freefall
04-01-2007, 16:48
What's a good estimate of how long it would take to do this section? Looking at elevation profiles, it should bee smooth sailing terrain-wise until NH. I will have +/- 90 days to play with and even at taking a zero every 10 days, this only averages out to 11.8 miles/ day.
I know that mileage drops in the Whites typically. But 15-20 milers should be a piece of cake in NJ, NY and MA. What about VT and CT? And the 100 mile wilderness- what would an average hiker expect to do this section in?

A little background for those that don't know...
I hiked from Springer to DWG in 2006 in 112 days. This included around 25 zeros, 18 "neros" (less than 5 miles/day) and I had a stress fracture that I continued to walk on at a reduced capacity for about 6 weeks. I also suffer from a self diagnosed "Nature ADD". I have no problem functioning and staying focused in the "real world" but in nature, I get distracted by even the simple things. Watching clouds filter through a valley, watching a snake sun itself on a rock, studying the way water flows around a rock in a stream all can capture my attention for hours sometimes. All keep me from hiking like I "should".

rafe
04-01-2007, 16:59
What's a good estimate of how long it would take to do this section? Looking at elevation profiles, it should bee smooth sailing terrain-wise until NH. I will have +/- 90 days to play with and even at taking a zero every 10 days, this only averages out to 11.8 miles/ day.
I know that mileage drops in the Whites typically. But 15-20 milers should be a piece of cake in NJ, NY and MA. What about VT and CT? And the 100 mile wilderness- what would an average hiker expect to do this section in?

I'm sure you can make it in that time. Plan on lower miles-per day in the Whites and in Maine, at least till you get to Caratunk. Southern New England is pretty easy, by AT standards.

Yahtzee
04-01-2007, 18:57
Just starting out you might find that NY is tougher than it looks. CT is a breeze and MA is set up for 20's. Southern VT isn't so bad either. The ups just start getting more uppy, but Stratton and Killington are both long, levelled climbs, not calfbusters.

You have plenty of time for zeros and neros.