PDA

View Full Version : Message from Bagdad

TJ aka Teej
08-27-2003, 21:04
This was posted on the ATC site today >
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/trailnews/index.html
Message from Baghdad
An ATC member known on Internet hiking listservs as "Sgt. Rock" recently sent this note in response to a "care package" — "While you may appreciate the service I am doing, I greatly appreciate all of you and consider the jobs you all do vital to protecting a part of our country and way of life that many of us cherish. Instead of a government bureaucracy to create, maintain, and promote something as large and complex as the A.T., the time, effort, and money coming from volunteers just proves to me exactly why our country is so great. Nothing on that scale could be done here in Iraq without someone pointing a gun at someone else to force him or her to do it. The fact that individual citizens got together so many years ago to create the Trail and that it continues to happen generation after generation is truly amazing. It gives me great comfort to know that people like that exist in the world when I am currently in a place that is so devoid of positive social spirit."
August 27, 2003

SGT Rock
08-29-2003, 12:34
Dang, I didn't mean for that to happen. Oh well, maybe it will get some more people coming here.

Howdy to everyone from Baghdad again. We now have an internet cafe so I do get to make it here occasionally. I haven't kept up with th threads but I do like to look at the pictures when the connection here is fast enough.

DebW was kind enough to send me some new AT books including an autographed copy of "On the Beaten Path" and HOI sent me some trail books with an alternate view of the trail from a woman's perspective, but unfortunately the name escapes me at the time. Thanks y'all.

The weather here is still crappy, but we get along. I still miss home and the trail, so in that regards nothing has changed. I hope everyone gets more trail time than I do.

Thanks for keeping things going and supporting Troll with the site.

Streamweaver
08-29-2003, 14:48
Howdy Sarge, Glad to see that you are doing ok!!! Stay safe!!!
Fight the good fight!! Streamweaver

Mini-Mosey
08-29-2003, 18:24
glad you're okay. God bless...

dixicritter
08-30-2003, 09:39
Wow! Where are the men like this in real life?

Extremely hard to find............. I got lucky :D

Rain Man
08-30-2003, 22:20

We're taken!!! LOL

(Big Male Head Mode OFF)

Rain Man

Tent-N-Kent
09-28-2003, 18:41
Hi Sarge: I' ve enjoyed your around the Campfire website, and your contributions to Thru-hiker.com. Thanks for the contribution you're now making on behalf of our cause in Iraq. I hope and pray, sincerely, we can see some sanity and order come to that country as soon as possible, so all of you can come home!!!

capehiker
10-19-2003, 12:47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other side of the U.S.