PDA

View Full Version : Father just started trail - worried!

eastcoastq
04-02-2007, 04:23
My father just started the trail NB from WV yesterday as a flip-flop hiker. I tend to worry excessively about everything, so needless to say I am not taking this well. He started at 7:45 AM and called around 3pm to say he hit his first camp destination (11 mi traveled). He is in great spirits and okay shape. He had a heart attack a few years ago - Docs now report zero heart damage, but he has an irregular heart beat and an internal defib. Since the defib was put in, the Docs said it hasn't gone off once (indicating no episodes since the heart attack). He's a very strong man, but I still worry he's just taking on too much. I was wondering if someone could tell me about how many days into the trail the wear and tear really starts hitting your body. And how many hikers hit the trail with other medical problems.. how well do they do? TIA from the worried daughter.

The General
04-02-2007, 06:09
Worried Daughter> Dont Worry, Your father will be fine no doubt he has managed his condition well over the last few years and will be well aware of the limitations he can put on his body. He has consulted with his doctor, If he listens to his body and takes his time he should be ok. Try not to worry yourself over things that may or may not occur, what will be will be he is in the Lords Hands now I'm sure he will be fine. Plenty of people with all manner of ability and disability do the trail every year there is a great support network out there Hikers care for each other.

Relax and Stop worrying>

Toolshed
04-02-2007, 07:14
I agree with the General - It sounds like regardless of the answers you get, you will worry yourself silly. It sounds like he is doing what he loves (and to be honest, what better way to go....) and living his life.
Plenty of folks get on the trail every year with medical problems. He's got what appears to be a cellphone, since he's called you. Relax and let him live his life's dream (and don't henpeck him or lay guilt on him when he calls - He'll have enough challenges on the trail without his daughter trying to get him off.)

Smile
04-02-2007, 09:22
I agree with Tooshed.
When you do talk to him, don't be so worried - that alone is enough to stress anybody out! ( and also make them dread calling home!)

It's understandable to be somewhat concerned - perhaps focus those energies on being an encouragement, and not a hindrance - he obviously needs to do something for himself - and needs a break from his 'normal' life - what a great choice he has made!

Now, let him enjoy his hike in peace, and consider taking this time to work out your own issues of worrying ;)

Kerosene
04-02-2007, 09:38
Hey, I play soccer with a guy who had a heart attack on the field and who continues to play with a pacemaker. Having a heart attack doesn't automatically restrict someone to home anymore. Sure, there's risk, but it sounds like he's in pretty good shape. Encourage him to take it slow the first 3 weeks to build up his cardiovascular endurance. After that, he'll be in better shape than 98% of the population.

Kerosene
04-02-2007, 09:39
One other thing: If you continue to worry, then why not arrange to meet him at a few road crossings throughout his hike, or even hike a few short sections with him?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-02-2007, 09:58
We dino types are stronger than our kids thinK. Our kids worry too, but the adult grandkids are the worst.

Support your dad in going out and having a great time. Life's too short to let the what-if's keep you from living your dreams.

Old Grouse
04-02-2007, 10:38
Sounds to me like he's a lucky man to have a daughter who cares for him as you obviously do. By the way, my daughter occasionally finds time to hike with me, and those are the best miles I walk.

mudhead
04-02-2007, 19:16
Sounds to me like he's a lucky man to have a daughter who cares for him as you obviously do. By the way, my daughter occasionally finds time to hike with me, and those are the best miles I walk.

I just thought that needed to be read again.

swift
04-02-2007, 21:19
Just think of it this way... He survived dealing with you all your life, Is there any worse wear and tear on his heart than that???

Appalachian Tater
04-02-2007, 23:40
Except for his knees, he'll be in a lot better shape when he finishes than when he started.

MOWGLI
04-03-2007, 08:15
Gee, and I thought only parents worried about kids. :sun Your Dad will be fine. He's hundreds of miles south of anything truly arduous, so that will allow his body to get into trail shape. By the time he hits New England, he should be doing great.

Take that nervous energy and use it constructively!

Rain Man
04-03-2007, 10:52

Ain't that the truth?!!!!!

Rain:sunMan