PDA

View Full Version : food choices

ajrl56
04-02-2007, 06:51
Hey everyone. This summer I'll be doing my second big hike. I am going from rock fish gap in virginia to bear mountain bridge in new york. Last year I went from Gettyburg, Pa to Rock Fish Gap in Virginia. Being my second hike, I wanted to know what are some good foods to be eating along the trail. Last year, my buddy and I ended up eating the same thing for about a week and a half but this summer I'll be hiking for more than 25 days. Any suggestions,
ajrl56

Pokey2006
04-02-2007, 06:59
Liptons noodle sides are popular, easy to make, cheap, and found just about everywhere along the trail. Plus, there are a lot of different flavors to choose from.

Outlaw
04-02-2007, 08:01
There are many threads already on this topic. Go to "SEARCH" and type in "FOOD," I'm sure you will find all the wonderful (and some wierd) ideas for food choices one could ever imagine.

There is also a thread on "freezer bag cooking" you might find helpful.

Skyline
04-02-2007, 09:13
Dinner: I like Mary Jane's Organic Dinners (www.maryjanesfarm.com). Less expensive than the preservative-filled Mountain House grub you see at many outfitters, and better for you. Just boil water (use more than the package says IMHO), pour in the package, stir, close up the package, let sit for 10 minutes, eat out of package. No cleanup, and the packaging is burnable. I usually add in some dehydrated veggies or chicken, some spices I carry, etc. MJ's definitely costs more than Lipton's and Ramen but well worth it for short to moderate section hikes. Probably too much $$$ for a steady diet on a thru-hike. MJ's comes in several sizes. I find the "Outpost" or "Backcountry" size about right for the trail.

Breakfast/Snack Foods: Two words. Archer Farms. Sold only at Target. They have an almost eclectic array of choices and flavors for snack bars, gorp-type snacks, drink mixes, and more. A bit pricey but good to add some of this for diversity to the usual Snickers, Pop Tarts etc.

Lunch: 3-oz. foil packs of tuna and chicken. Pick up some packs of mayo, relish, etc. at a fast food joint. Mix in with your favorite dinner spices and eat with crackers, pita bread, etc. Also summer sausage, cheese, peanut butter, etc. on crackers or pita bread.

SlowLightTrek
04-02-2007, 09:31
Walmart carries a pretty decent supply of dried soups. Bear Mountain and Mrs. Grass. There are about 8 different varieties. Also, Nissin, (the guys who make ramen noodles), make stir fry noodles that are pretty good. They need to be repackaged into ziplocs because they are bulky in the prepackaged bowl they come with. I also have some pasta salad I will be taking. I'm thinking that will pretty good on the trail.

PJ 2005
04-02-2007, 11:25
stuffing! mashed potatoes! red beans and rice with kilbasa supplement!

ShakeyLeggs
04-02-2007, 12:03
I use Liptons (Knorr) for some of my evening meals. The bulk of them I get from; http://trailfoods.com/meals1.html

Lunches are usually some type of bread product with assorted toppings.

Breakfasts are usually instants or some type of grain product.

Blue Wolf
04-02-2007, 13:36
One of my favs on the trail is Lipton Knorrs Asian Noodles with a Chunk of that Bar-B-Q chickin from bumble bee found in the tuna section comes in aluminum foil pouches very tasty!! kinda gourmet for the trail.

navy111588
04-02-2007, 13:41
what is gorp everyone keeps mentioning it

Blue Wolf
04-02-2007, 13:43
good ole raisens & peanuts

Outlaw
04-02-2007, 14:18
good ole raisens & peanuts

or a derivation thereof; e.g. mix in M&M's, dried fruit (pineapple, banana chips, mango, papaya, apricots, etc.) soy nuts, other types of nuts, other types of candies, etc.

The sky's the limit when it comes to creating GORP. It has become my main snack staple and sometimes is substituted for lunch too.

Jester2000
04-02-2007, 19:31
There are many threads already on this topic. Go to "SEARCH" and type in "FOOD," I'm sure you will find all the wonderful (and some wierd) ideas for food choices one could ever imagine.

There are already threads on everything.

Personally, I say don't forget the family size of Stove Top stuffing with some cheese over top.

And then more cheese for dessert, but save some cheese for breakfast.

saimyoji
04-02-2007, 20:33
There are already threads on everything.

Personally, I say don't forget the family size of Stove Top stuffing with some cheese over top.

And then more cheese for dessert, but save some cheese for breakfast.

And save some cheese for that new meal between breakfast and brunch. :p

Jester2000
04-02-2007, 20:45
Elevenses!

Yahtzee
04-02-2007, 21:05
Canola Oil. (Olive oil overpowers at the level of fat you want)
Butter, if cool enough
Oscar Meyer Real Bacon Bits (Makes any lipton a meal)
Buttery Mashpotatoes
Iced Honey Buns (2/$1 in most NE convenience stores--500 cal each)
Snickers -- I live and die by the snickers. It is nearly infallible.
Liptons'
Tuna by the pouch
Chicken by the can
Crab by the can for a Lipton alfedo
A salt bag. Fill biggest ziploc bag w/ snack mix, trail mix, chips, etc.

Town food. Town food and more town food.

Appalachian Tater
04-02-2007, 23:43
M&Ms mixed with peanut butter M&Ms. Cashews.

Tortellini with sundried tomatoes and a pack of pre-cooked crumbled bacon or pepperoni.

jrwiesz
04-03-2007, 01:11
I agree with the MJF organics. Six of us used them exclusively on a trip to Isle Royale. She has options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; some really delicious dessert choices, also. You may purchase them in bulk, and divide them up for freezer bag cooking. This brings the cost into reasonable range; and I would say 10X, and then some, better than Mountain House[or other pre-packaged freeze dried options on the market]. I felt they were all spiced adequately as they came from the Farm; we really didn't add any more to them. Jetboil is especially convenient for this type of cooking; use it to boil the water then add it to your insulated mug, or freezer bag and cozy. You're eating in ten minutes; it is actually nutrition, not empty calories. Make your own trail gorp; your options with this is limitless. Take/pick-up fresh fruit/vegetables when you can, at fruit/vegetable stands or markets when in town. Those foil packets of tuna, salmon, chicken are also great options. And don't forget some venison jerky.