PDA

View Full Version : new idea?

hobbit
04-02-2007, 15:38
has anyone thought to just sew 4 "loops" onto the bottom of a hammock to slide a pad into? that way you have the comfort of sleeping skin to cloth but the inexpensiveness and multi purpose use of a ccf pad... maybe more than 4 loops would be required but still would the idea of strapping a pad to the underside of a hammock work to keep you warm?

just thought I'd ask before I start sewing...

hobbit
04-02-2007, 15:40
or maybe this would be better asked over at hammock forums.net
but I know that just jeff and others still frequent this site... and I'm not registered over there yet

Ewker
04-02-2007, 15:43
there is a long thread on pads vs underquilts going on...jump on in

hobbit
04-02-2007, 16:33
there is a long thread on pads vs underquilts going on...jump on in

maybe this is would be better asked under homemade gear?

Rhino-lfl
04-03-2007, 09:55
It would be hard to keep a worthwhile pad snug against the underside of a hammock to get the insulation properties to be helpful. Although some people have tucked a thin ccf pad inside their underquilts.

saimyoji
04-03-2007, 11:30
Make a double layer hammock, sew a "pocket" for your ccf, or other pad, or insulation, slide it right in between. It will comform to your body, stay in place. Check out Jeff's sight for a step-by-step.

hobbit
04-03-2007, 11:35
won't sewing a big pocket weaken the hammock?
i mean a bunch of holes punched real close toghether over a big space of the hammock?...
good plan saimyoji
but if i could i'd like to get away with just loops instead of a big sleeve

hobbit
04-03-2007, 11:36
i didn't mean that sarcasticly haha but it appears like it is
i meant otherwise thats a real good plan... sorry for the confusion

redtail
04-04-2007, 15:35
Do you mean some kind of loops made of something like elastic tape or shock cord running horizontally from side to side? Sounds like it could work if the pad isn't too stiff (creating air pockets). Post back if you try it out, sounds like a cool idea.

Hana_Hanger
04-04-2007, 15:42
Sounds like a great idea...
I am going to try that out on one of my older hammocks.

hobbit
04-04-2007, 19:10
Do you mean some kind of loops made of something like elastic tape or shock cord running horizontally from side to side? Sounds like it could work if the pad isn't too stiff (creating air pockets). Post back if you try it out, sounds like a cool idea.

yeah...
i'm not sure that air pockets would be an issue would it?
idk it sounds worth while i'm gonna start working on this

redtail
04-04-2007, 20:13
I was thinking a thicker pad like a Wally World blue pad would be too stiff to conform to the bottom of the hammock. Probably too narrow anyway. I'd give it a try if I had one of those thin/wide GG or owareusa pads. You could just clip the straps on for testing, then sew them on if it works.

toddhiker
04-04-2007, 22:11
What about sewing the loops & corner tabs into a JRB weather shield??? You could then insert the pad into it, & sinch it up tightly to the hammock.

I use a Nest underquilt...just my 2cents

hobbit
04-04-2007, 23:34
too much money for a JRB weather shield and if you had a pad you wouldn't really need one because it doesn't really matter if your underinsulation isn't permeable by water

Just Jeff
04-07-2007, 11:59
I think you'll have a hard time using loops to keep a CCF pad snug enough to the hammock to be useful. A two-layer hammock would probably work best if you want to use a CCF pad and not wrestle with it in the hammock. JMO - interested in pics if you make it work!

Grinder
04-07-2007, 14:57
I use a WallyWorld 1/2 inch 24 inch wide pad in a two layer hammock (search Risk, Zhammock) I insert the pad on the diagonal the way I will lie and have no problem with under coverage (Tests to low 40's to date).

My final version will be made from 1.1 oz nylon so weight penalty of two layers will be minimal.

Miles of Smiles
Tom