PDA

View Full Version : Website ripoff alert: seriousoutdoorgear.com

Rhino-lfl
04-02-2007, 16:35
Those ******** at http://www.seriousoutdoorgear.com (http://www.seriousoutdoorgear.com/) have skirted around sending me the sleeping bag I ordered and will not reply to my requests about the order, confirmation number, or anything else, as well as denying taking payment for the bag that they took payment for. They ripped me off and aren't going to send me the bag. ****ers. They won't get back to me about anything and deny the sale, even though they took payment from my MC.

They did this before but I ignored my better judgment and tried them again. They are rip off artists and I’m just putting out the warning.

Earl Grey
04-02-2007, 17:13
Yes what Boston said. Call CC company immediately and do a chargeback. They are on your sied.

Chache
04-02-2007, 17:30
They Ripped you off twice! HEY I got a bridge....OOps I mean bag to sell ya

buckowens
04-02-2007, 20:57
Thanks for the heads up. I always do a www.bbb.com (http://www.bbb.com) search and for them I got no result. Also, they do not list a phone number that I could see on the site, which is not foolproof, but is a concern.

I recently got burned by a company that I did not research well enough for about $35.00, which ended up being a good lesson learned.

Rain Man
04-02-2007, 21:01
[COLOR=black]They did this before but I ignored my better judgment and tried them again.

Fool me once?

I do note they appear to give no address and no phone numbers on their site (from my BRIEF looksee). That's a BIG CLUE.

Rain Man

dixicritter
04-02-2007, 21:23
I just PM'd Rhino-lfl a name and number I found by doing a search from some info I found on the their website. It is amazing what a little knowledge can find you. :D

saimyoji
04-02-2007, 21:25
I just PM'd Rhino-lfl a name and number I found by doing a search from some info I found on the their website. It is amazing what a little knowledge can find you. :D

Share?????

dixicritter
04-02-2007, 21:27
Share?????

It is an individual's name and number, at this point I'll leave that up to Rhino. It appears that the "business" is run out of someone's home however.

saimyoji
04-02-2007, 21:32
It is an individual's name and number, at this point I'll leave that up to Rhino. It appears that the "business" is run out of someone's home however.

I meant share how you got that info, though with a little snooping I found it for myself. Since you withheld I guess I will.

dixicritter
04-02-2007, 21:37
I meant share how you got that info, though with a little snooping I found it for myself. Since you withheld I guess I will.

Ohhhh totally misunderstood ya there, sorry about that. I see no harm in saying how we found our info. It is called a reverse directory look up. I use yellowpages.com then search under the whitepages by address. It is free and quick. :)

Skidsteer
04-02-2007, 21:46
Rhino, send them a link to this thread.

If they have a shred of legitimacy or give a fig about their reputation, it might get some action.

Heater
04-02-2007, 21:57
Ohhhh totally misunderstood ya there, sorry about that. I see no harm in saying how we found our info. It is called a reverse directory look up. I use yellowpages.com then search under the whitepages by address. It is free and quick. :)

A Whois search on the site gets the guys basic info. Takes a few seconds.

Rhino-lfl
04-03-2007, 16:21
So I called the guy and he freaked. Said if I called him again he'd kill me lol. I'm thinking you might want to list this as a place not to buy gear in the future. I'll get my money I'm sure like the last time, but shopping online seems to suck, and I can't find a sleeping bag in any store (rei, dicks, etc) that is big enough for me.

I blame all you 5ft tall males out there who make it impossible for us truck sized guys to get anything. Shrimps.

rafe
04-03-2007, 16:31
Try buying from a reputable outfit next time. ;)

Use bizrate.com to check 'em out, or be safe and buy from Campmor, REI, EMS, etc.

If the price sounds too good to be true, it probably is. :D

mudhead
04-03-2007, 16:38
So I called the guy and he freaked. Said if I called him again he'd kill me lol. I'm thinking you might want to list this as a place not to buy gear in the future. I'll get my money I'm sure like the last time, but shopping online seems to suck, and I can't find a sleeping bag in any store (rei, dicks, etc) that is big enough for me.

I blame all you 5ft tall males out there who make it impossible for us truck sized guys to get anything. Shrimps.

I was in EMS last week. They had something called an "overbag." I asked, because I had never seen anything quite that big. I know this thing was wider than my tent. Very large. The guy pronounced it "Preeemaloft." Cool guy though. Always like EMS.

Captain Crunch
04-03-2007, 22:30
I have had great luck doing business with Campmor. Their prices are great and they provide quick delivery. A couple of months ago I purchased a tent and two sleeping bags on-line from them and received the items within three days. I have also done returns with them with no problem.
Thanks for the heads-up on the bad site.

Toolshed
04-04-2007, 07:24
The EMS overbag isn't really that big and it is heavy.
If you want a big bag, you have 2 options that are inexpensive (as compared to customizing a bag.
1. Marmot Sawtooth X-wide 35" wide 84-86" long.
2. MontBell Super Stretch Series - Incredible Size and comfort.

Whatever/Wherever you buy, don't fall prey and lose common sense in order to save a few bucks. It is well worth an extra $20-$50 or so to have the option to buy from a reputable dealer and return if not satisfied.

The other issue is how do you know you are not getting a bag that is "seconds" or flawed from someone who bought them deeply discounted from the manufacturer or their outlet and is now selling them without a B&M site. This is what routinely occurs on Ebay. Folks go to outlets and buy seconds - slight cosmetic flaws and the like and then sell it on Ebay as NWT. If the label isn't cut-off, crossed-out or otherwise marked, people never realize what they are buying is not first quality.

Newb
04-04-2007, 07:29
I doubt this is an actual brick and mortar establishment. Most likely this website is simply a pass-through entity that directs orders to a fulfillment house and takes a small "affiliate" cut.

The website owner probably has very little knowledge of what is ordered through the site.

Skidsteer
04-04-2007, 08:28
This bag (http://www.luxurylite.com/bagindex.html) looks interesting for the price.

Not sure it's wide enough for you though. 85" x 30"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-04-2007, 08:50
Check out these threads for what big guys use.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16443
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15367
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9321

I know one big fellow that used a bag doubler (http://www.backpacker.com/gear/sleepingbags/article/0,8136,3890,00.html) to make his bag large enough (he was in the process of losing about 150 lbs and didn't want to buy a bigger bag than he would need

Heater
04-04-2007, 09:17
This bag (http://www.luxurylite.com/bagindex.html) looks interesting for the price.

Not sure it's wide enough for you though. 85" x 30"

It looks intersting alright... :D

saimyoji
04-04-2007, 09:45
If you look into the NorthFace or Mountain Hardware bags you'll find they have bag expanders, for about 30$ extra.

MH has or had a line of bags (the Dimensions) that had a built in Quantum expander that added 8" to girth. I bought mine before losing a bunch of weight and love it. Its roomy enough now, but the extra room was perfect for my girth then.

Rhino-lfl
04-04-2007, 09:46
Ok, I think I'm going with one of these from campmor.

This one is a 20 degree bag and is 95x34
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39200626&memberId=12500226

This one is a 0 degree bag and is 90x32
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39200628&memberId=12500226

Considering that I sleep in a hammock which bag makes more sense? I assume I can use a 0 degree bag year round just like a 20 degree bag, just using it as a quilt, partially open, sleeping on top, etc, or is a 0 more overkill then a 20?

Toolshed
04-04-2007, 09:59
Do you realize these bags are about 4 1/2 pounds??

QHShowoman
04-04-2007, 10:28
... or is a 0 more overkill then a 20?

This is a trick question, right?

I am not sure I understand what exactly you're looking for in a bag, other than the fact that it needs to be big. Does weight matter? What price range are you looking at?

If you're a hammock hanger, why not try the quilts made by Jacks R' Better? (www.jacksrbetter.com) They offer extra-long sizes in almost everything they sell.

Heater
04-04-2007, 10:39
Ok, I think I'm going with one of these from campmor.

This one is a 20 degree bag and is 95x34
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39200626&memberId=12500226

This one is a 0 degree bag and is 90x32
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39200628&memberId=12500226

Considering that I sleep in a hammock which bag makes more sense? I assume I can use a 0 degree bag year round just like a 20 degree bag, just using it as a quilt, partially open, sleeping on top, etc, or is a 0 more overkill then a 20?

Hey Rhino. There is a post on here for 3 bags for sale.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21617

Those are WM Badger bags for $200. Great price. ($425 new)
Should work great for a hammock.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Dryloft%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=50

Rhino-lfl
04-04-2007, 11:19
Do you realize these bags are about 4 1/2 pounds??

They are big bags, for a big guy. A small bag for a child for 60 degrees isn't going to weight as much as a medium 60 degree bag for an adult is it? If all I needed was a 1 lb bag cause I was 3 ft tall and weighed 80 lbs I'd be golden.

I am not sure I understand what exactly you're looking for in a bag, other than the fact that it needs to be big. Does weight matter? What price range are you looking at?

I'm 6'4" 290 lbs; I have a 36" waist and a 50" chest. If a bag isn't at least 30" wide, I can't even zipper it up. I need something that can get wet (synthetic), is big enough, is rated 20 or colder (that was my original question btw about the difference in a 0 degree bag and a 20 degree bag for 3 season use), and to me, a 2 1/2 lb bag that doesn't fit me, is way more useless then a 4 lb bag that fits me :)

QHShowoman
04-04-2007, 11:27
I'm 6'4" 290 lbs; I have a 36" waist and a 50" chest. If a bag isn't at least 30" wide, I can't even zipper it up. I need something that can get wet (synthetic), is big enough, is rated 20 or colder (that was my original question btw about the difference in a 0 degree bag and a 20 degree bag for 3 season use), and to me, a 2 1/2 lb bag that doesn't fit me, is way more useless then a 4 lb bag that fits me :)

Well, try this one. The height cuts it a little close, but the girth seems ample: https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1105&hinban=1121695

If you were interested in the down equivalent of that bag, it'll save you a couple of pounds.

eventidecu
04-04-2007, 12:22
Rhino call the guy back and record the convo, then call the local PD and play the tape and they will go "have a talk" with him. Then foward the info to the BBB. I tried to send their cust service an e mail to tell them why I won't ever do biz with them and couldn't even get the sight to take the e mail under "contact us".

Rhino-lfl
04-04-2007, 12:58
Well, I haven't been charged yet and put my card on notice for them. This is just one of those places I hope you folks will avoid in the future.

At any rate, I still need a bag! I'm going to order the 20 degree North Face bag from Campmor I think, it;ll do for now and the price is right, plus, every bag I've ever looked at is some ass ugly color lol.

QHShowoman
04-04-2007, 13:28
Well, I haven't been charged yet and put my card on notice for them. This is just one of those places I hope you folks will avoid in the future.

Wait a second, in your first post, you said that they had taken payment for this item, but were denying that they took it??? That kind of changes the scope of things. Yeah, they still suck for not fulfilling your order, but if they haven't charged you yet, there's really no legal obligation for them to fulfill it anyhow.

Confused,
Q.

The Cheat
04-04-2007, 13:30

lol<br><br>

Skidsteer
04-04-2007, 13:32

lol<br><br>

Gutterminds.:D

Heater
04-04-2007, 13:34
lol<br><br>

Ahhhh... Finally, someone that does it with the lights on. ;)

I wonder why they call it the "V" bag? :eek: LOL! :D

Heater
04-04-2007, 13:39
Gutterminds.:D

Hey, now you don't have to be a Hennesy Hammock owner to "be born again every morning". :D

Ground dwellers rejoice! :clap

cannonball
04-04-2007, 13:43
check out BIGAGNES.com. I got a bag in the "fat man" section there that I am very happy with.

Toolshed
04-04-2007, 13:48
They are big bags, for a big guy. A small bag for a child for 60 degrees isn't going to weight as much as a medium 60 degree bag for an adult is it? If all I needed was a 1 lb bag cause I was 3 ft tall and weighed 80 lbs I'd be golden.

Welll Duh!! Go back to Post 18 and read it please - I mention 2 bags that are well under 4lbs and 3lbs respectively and each offer 70"+ of girth. You will be uncomfortable in anything less than probably 66" (33" width). Otherwise It sounds like you are looking for the cheapest possible bags you can find. IMMHO with a sleeping bag, you get what you pay for and it isn't worth lugging a 4+lb poorly made synth bag mile over mile, year after year to save $100-$200.

Toolshed
04-04-2007, 13:52
Insanity or foolishness :-? . Please go back and read your first post.

At any rate, I still need a bag! I'm going to order the 20 degree North Face bag from Campmor I think, it'll do for now and the price is right, plus, every bag I've ever looked at is some ass ugly color lol. If you buy on the cheap, color is usually never an option.

Rain Man
04-04-2007, 13:58
Wait a second, in your first post, you said that they had taken payment for this item, but were denying that they took it??? That kind of changes the scope of things....

Don't be confused. It's plain the guy, er, "mis-stated the truth" badly. This is the pot calling the kettle black. We've been had in this thread.

Rain Man

Rhino-lfl
04-04-2007, 15:04
You guys are ******** lol, go watch an oliver stone conspiracy movie if you need to get you gimp on. I bought a bag, guy never sent it, I contacted him, he ignored me, I contacted my bank, they worked it out for me without going through a dispute. I fail to see the conspiracy, but I also fail to **** my pants constantly like some of you trolls with nothing better to do then dig on a guy asking some simple questions about sleeping bags and giving you a heads up about a jerk. **** you, I hope you get screwed someday out of karma.

saimyoji
04-04-2007, 15:13
You guys are ******** lol, go watch an oliver stone conspiracy movie if you need to get you gimp on. I bought a bag, guy never sent it, I contacted him, he ignored me, I contacted my bank, they worked it out for me without going through a dispute. I fail to see the conspiracy, but I also fail to **** my pants constantly like some of you trolls with nothing better to do then dig on a guy asking some simple questions about sleeping bags and giving you a heads up about a jerk. **** you, I hope you get screwed someday out of karma.

Hmmm...karma.....:cool:

warraghiyagey
04-04-2007, 15:17

Curious way to weild the karma scepter:confused: :-? :(

warraghiyagey
04-04-2007, 15:23
Curious way to weild the karma scepter:confused: :(

I hadn't considered that karma could be used against people until now. The whole concept boggles the. . . spirit:( :(

Jester2000
04-05-2007, 21:00
[COLOR=black] I fail to see the conspiracy, but I also fail to **** my pants constantly like some of you trolls. . .

Was the word that got edited out "wear?"