PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag & pad setup

Matteroo
04-02-2007, 18:03
Hello folks,

I am to joining my girlfriend May 12 wherever in Virginia she is, and will continue with her until we finish the trail. In the pursuit of giving her a gift without giving her any item, I am paring my pack-weight down as much as possible so I can take 5-10lbs off her hands. I am looking for some advice about what sleeping bag/pad combo I take.

I have the following gear:
Slumberjack Minaret 60 degree bag - 27oz
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39179838

Kelty Quasar 25 (750 power down + DWR finish) - 34oz
(http://campingrus.stores.yahoo.net/kelquasulmum.html)

Silk Liner - 6oz

Therm-a-rest Prolite 3 (inflatable)(short) - 11oz
Therm-a-rest Z-lite (closed cell foam)(regular) - 15oz

-----------
Question 1:
I realize that on either end of the hike, I would want the Down bag, which I think is a fantastic bag for the money/weight/stuff size(6x12)/dwr finish..
I am wondering if it is worth taking that 60 degree bag from may-july or whatever. for a 60degree bag it is heavy. I do not plan to buy a light-weight 45 or 50 degree bag, unless my girlfriend and I simply do so along the trail in June or so because we want to send our warm-bags home (she has WM Ultra-lite20). However, to take the 60degree bag, silk liner, and some silk-long underwear-that maybe would be sufficient to cover any summer temp drops? I'm leaning towards taking the down and silk all the way-if its way warm I can sleep on top of the down bag in the silk liner. Otherwise, I'm set/safe.

Question 2:
I tend to be a fan of the closed cell Z-lite foam more because there is no worry of puncture. My girlfriend has a short-length inflatable pad, a pro-lite from probably 6 years ago that she likes just fine. I'm thinking about taking the z-lite full length and cutting it 4 or so folds in, to make it about 3/4th length and save the weight. I figure then we can use it to sit on at places you wouldn't want to throw an inflatable pad down at. The r factor (insulation?) is negligible between the two.. the pro-lite can fit inside the pack.. even a pared down z-lite may need to go outside (not the worst thing).. Any general advice? I guess I kind of have it in my head what I'll do (take the down, take the silk liner, cut the z-lite to 3/4th size).. my sleeping system with those choices is at 3.1lbs then-which seems reasonable for going light-weight and a rating down to 30~ degrees...but any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

-Matteroo!:sun

bigcranky
04-02-2007, 19:16
1. Take the down 25-F bag to start. It can still get chilly into late May or early June in Virginia. You could swap out later if you want, or just drape the bag over you as a quilt on warm nights.

2. You're young, the z-rest is fine <g>. Lighter, faster, easier to use, can be thrown down at rest breaks, etc. Only us old dudes really need the inflatables...

Have fun on the hike, and don't worry too much about taking weight out of her pack, not if she's been hiking since Springer.

DrewNC2005
04-02-2007, 21:02
If you are stuck on the two bags above, go with the 25 degree bag you mentioned. I, however, would like to make a suggestion.

Mont-bell has their last year's super stretch models on sale. In my opinion, they are of higher quality than the Kelty bag and much more versatile when opened up and used as a quilt. The strecthy baffles make for a much less "drafty" bag when used as a quilt and are generally lighter.

Right now, most of the ~30 degree stuff is sold out. But, given that you are headed out in May/June, that shouldn't be a problem. I'd go with the Super Stretch #5 which should easily get you to about 35-40 degrees with very little or no clothing based on my experience with Mont-bell bags. If you need to extend the warmth, add the silk liner and/or your extra clothing. It will save you weight and some dough and add a little versatility and comfort.

Matteroo
04-02-2007, 22:18
thanks for advice big cranky-makes me laugh-keeping in mind a large number of the sagacious posters are double my age, some of being finiky about gear/weight isn't _so_ necessary if you're truly at your physical prime. Drew, Montbell bags have caught my eye when looking at things in the past, and now again here they are-they seem to make a real good bag-I can't deny that. I guess with the idea of getting one of them, I can't see shelling $150~ to save 1lb., for a bag that may not be warm enough for cold towards the end of the trail. I suppose it can be supplemented with a liner and a layer of clothes but-since I've got a bag that will do fine, and gives me some peace of mind knowing it can go colder, I think I'll stick with it. I'll keep it in mind though, if the lady and I end up deciding we both want to drop 15oz-the price for them bags is pretty great..

ok i think I have settled it in my mind with a bit of this writing and posting-unless I get advice from her before I leave to do otherwise-it'll be a z-lite regular sliced in half (or at 3/4 length), the 25, and the silk liner. at 3.1lbs i'm satisfied..a sometimes difficult thing for me to be with the limitless comparison matrices and personal reviews of endless scopes of gear!