PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Hardcore project

Lugnut
04-02-2007, 22:57
Bob Peoples has asked me to post the information on this years Hardcore project which will be cutting new trail, with significant rock work, on the north side of Unaka Mt. to Cherry Gap shelter. Due to the fact that this event has become mired in it's own success, the availability of tools and transportation and other considerations Bob and the Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club need to limit the number of participants. There will be a signup sheet at the ATC booth during Trail Days for current hikers. They would like to keep the number at 50 or so, though I can't imagine Bob enforcing a cutoff. If you have worked on Hardcore before you are Grandfathered in so the limit would not apply. You know who you are!
If you want to be a part of what has become a tradition of giving back to the trail sign up early. All you'll get is a couple meals, a patch, and the satisfaction of leaving something for the hikers following you. Someone did it for you! :)

Trail Yeti
04-03-2007, 00:22
I love working with Rocks!:banana
Hard Core rock crew gettin' it done! We should get Camo a new hat just for the occasion!:D

Cuppa Joe
04-03-2007, 09:03
I almost panicked when I saw the cutoff until I read the "Grandfather" clause .. Life is good :)

1Pint
04-03-2007, 09:08
Maybe everyone but me knows this but.... when is Hardcore?
Thanks.

Twofiddy
04-03-2007, 09:10
All you'll get is a couple meals, a patch, and the satisfaction of leaving something for the hikers following you. Someone did it for you! :)

Let me ask you guys a question??

What if we could come up with the funds through a few donations to provide everyone who attends with a free T-Shirt with a newly designed HARDCORE TRAIL WORK logo on the front and a few small sponsor ads on the back of the shirt to help cover the costs of the shirts? AGAIN THESE WOULD BE FREE TO EVERYONE WHO WORKS??

Anyone think that this would be a good idea. Seeing everyone in a huge group photo with the same T-Shirt on would be really cool?

I have a call into Bob and Pat about this idea and I dont have it finalized yet, so right now it is just an idea, but I do have comitment from several trail related entities to provide us with small donation to help cover the costs of the T-Shirts if this would be something that everyone would enjoy.

SEE MY POST ABOUT T-SHIRT LOGO DESIGN.

StarLyte
04-03-2007, 09:18
GREAT post Lugnut....

And 1Pint....Hardcore is one of many Trail crews out there click here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.786753/k.D90B/Partners.htm) for a full list of Trail maintainers.

Bob Peoples is a devoted and outstanding representative.

1Pint
04-03-2007, 09:23
GREAT post Lugnut....

And 1Pint....Hardcore is one of many Trail crews out there click here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.786753/k.D90B/Partners.htm) for a full list of Trail maintainers.

Thanks StarLyte. For some unknown reason, my IT people have a block on accessing that link (along with Ebay, Amazon, ATC, etc.) I'll check when I get home tonight. Thank God they never thought to block my access to WhiteBlaze. That would be a serious problem for my WB addiction. ;)

Twofiddy
04-03-2007, 09:25

UMM YOU ARE COMPLETLY WRONG WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT!!

BOB is Super Duper Works All The Time On Trail Work Is Out There Right Now Doing Some And Is Out There Nearly Every Day That It Is Not Raining And Many Days When It Is Raining Devoted and Is Tremendously Outstanding In Every Single Way Possible For His Time Effort and Comitment and Is Hardly a Representative But Is Rather The Role Model Extrodinair Model Citizen Volunteer King Of All Trail Workers... At least in my book.

Since I have known about Hardcore I have not had the luxury to attend due to schedule conflicts, but I have seen the work the people have done, and work it is. None of the projects that are done could be done without Bob Peoples.

I look forward to being Tired, Sore, and Worn out on Tuesday after Trail Days this year as I am planning on Attending.

Trail Yeti
04-03-2007, 11:58
I think the tshirts are a good idea.....What would they look like?

Lugnut
04-03-2007, 14:21
Maybe everyone but me knows this but.... when is Hardcore?
Thanks.

Hardcore is a trail work project dreamed up by Bob Peoples and Forrest Phil to use current thru hiker volunteers for the Sunday and Monday following Trail Days. The first one (which I missed) numbered only a few. Last year we had 120 or so. The Tennessee Eastman club provides some oversight since the work is within their area of responsibility. ALDA, and some private individuals (LW even contributed one year), donate money to cover some of the food costs. The ATC furnishes building materials for shelter projects and the Forrest Service provides many of the tools. Everybody gets into the act with Bob being the traffic cop. If you are a returning worker bring a sledge hammer!

Lugnut
04-03-2007, 14:23
I love working with Rocks!:banana
Hard Core rock crew gettin' it done! We should get Camo a new hat just for the occasion!:D

Where there are rocks there is Camo! :banana

Footslogger
04-03-2007, 14:28
UM
I look forward to being Tired, Sore, and Worn out on Tuesday after Trail Days this year as I am planning on Attending.

=================================

...and you WILL be, my friend !! ...and Wednesday ...and Thursday !!

'Slogger

StarLyte
04-03-2007, 16:54
Hardcore is a trail work project dreamed up by Bob Peoples and Forrest Phil to use current thru hiker volunteers for the Sunday and Monday following Trail Days. The first one (which I missed) numbered only a few. Last year we had 120 or so. The Tennessee Eastman club provides some oversight since the work is within their area of responsibility. ALDA, and some private individuals (LW even contributed one year), donate money to cover some of the food costs. The ATC furnishes building materials for shelter projects and the Forrest Service provides many of the tools. Everybody gets into the act with Bob being the traffic cop. If you are a returning worker bring a sledge hammer!

Hey Lugnut - I didn't know Forrest Phil was part of that.....wonderful to know that! Thanks! I know Forrest Phil from the Cadillac Trail Club - great guy.

Lugnut
04-03-2007, 17:20
Hey Lugnut - I didn't know Forrest Phil was part of that.....wonderful to know that! Thanks! I know Forrest Phil from the Cadillac Trail Club - great guy.

It was originally going to be called "Phil's Follies".

Yahtzee
04-03-2007, 17:26
Are they reloing the trail away from the top of Unaka? I sure hope not. That stand of trees on the summit is one of the cooler spots on the trail.

Lugnut
04-03-2007, 17:39
No. North side towards Cherry Gap. Bad erosion problems. The top of Unaka is one of my favorite places too.

Sleepy the Arab
04-03-2007, 20:05
Hope all involved have a good time. Unfortunately, I won't be among the Hardcore this year. It is the first time in three years, and I will miss it. On the up side, I will be able to pop into Trail Days.

mountain squid
05-02-2007, 15:40
Yesterday, we placed some ribbons and flags to identify where the trail will go and did some clearing. Check the photos out...it will be fun:) (look closely...).

As Lugnut has mentioned the number for current hikers is 50. The number for previous Hard Core participants will be 30. Sign up will start on Fri the 18th.

See you on the trail (& at Trail Days & at Hard Core),
mt squid

Local
05-05-2007, 07:44
Here are some photos and an couple of articles done last year on Bob Peoples and Hard Core:

http://www.traildays.info/hardcore.html