PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Hanger begins her hike

MOWGLI
04-03-2007, 09:30
Hammock Hanger has left the comforts of home and has begun her attempted thru-hike of the Great Eastern Trail. I received a photo of her this morning (http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/047061.html)signing in at the beginning of her journey.

If you know her, or want to cheer her on, please sign her Guestbook at Trail Journals. She could use some words of encouragement.

Tin Man
04-03-2007, 17:53
AWESOME! :banana GO HAMMOCK HANGER!

[Disclaimer: I don't really know her, but I have read enough of her journals and posts that it feels like I know her.]

Smile
04-03-2007, 19:42
Thanks for posting this, will definately follow her journey!

GO HH! Wishing you an amazing, beautiful, and mostly dry hike!

Cuffs
04-04-2007, 11:39
Thanks for posting this, will definately follow her journey!

GO HH! Wishing you an amazing, beautiful, and mostly dry hike!

I saw HH the day before she left and she was very excited to get on her way! She's still way down south of my area, but we had a good storm blow thru last nite. I dont think it affected her tho. I will say that a bit of rain will be good tho! I just finished the Pinhoti, which HH will hike in a few weeks, and water in some areas is very scarce. (14mi waterless sections!)

I will also meet up with her in mid and northern AL, so if anyone wants to pass anything along, please let me know!

Skidsteer
04-04-2007, 11:42
I saw HH the day before she left and she was very excited to get on her way! She's still way down south of my area, but we had a good storm blow thru last nite. I dont think it affected her tho. I will say that a bit of rain will be good tho! I just finished the Pinhoti, which HH will hike in a few weeks, and water in some areas is very scarce. (14mi waterless sections!)

I will also meet up with her in mid and northern AL, so if anyone wants to pass anything along, please let me know!

How are the sections around Cheaha as far as water goes?

Thinking of doing a couple days starting tomorrow.

MOWGLI
04-04-2007, 11:45
How are the sections around Cheaha as far as water goes?

Thinking of doing a couple days starting tomorrow.

The ridge south of Cheaha is pretty dry under the best of circumstances.

Enjoy your hike!

Cuffs
04-04-2007, 11:51
Mowgli said it. Until you get to Cheaha SP (NOBO that is), you better plan your day according to the water sources. I did a 17 mi. day to get to Cheaha SP, and only hit 2 very small sources (and 1 of them was questionable).

Skidsteer
04-04-2007, 11:52
The ridge south of Cheaha is pretty dry under the best of circumstances.

Enjoy your hike!

Thanks Mowgli. I'm thinking of hiking North a day or two then turning around and walking back. Kind of a spur of the moment thing.

Hope they have good maps at Cheaha!

MedicineMan
04-08-2007, 05:45
Mowgli, tell us more about the GET...I thought it was still a major work in progress, last I checked the Cumberland Trail was only 50% complete???? is HH going to road walk the gaps?

Cookerhiker
04-08-2007, 07:26
I live pretty close to the GET in MD and nearby WV & PA. I'll look for her as she gets closer.

SGT Rock
04-08-2007, 08:19
Go Sue go!

B Thrash
04-13-2007, 20:28
Sue is over 150 miles into her hike. She will crest Flagg Mountain the first in mountain in the Appalachian Chain over 1000 foot in elevation in Central Alabama today. She will be at Bull's Gap early next week to start on the Pinhoti Trail and be on the Pinhoti Trail several days before she will reach the Alabama-Georgia State Line.

Mother Nature
04-14-2007, 08:26
I talked with HH the other day. The kind and generous folks in Alabama have made her journey through that state a wonderful experience. She said she will always remember the help, care and friendship offered along her journey.

We get so focused on the AT that we forget the other great trails and trail towns in other states.

I have hiked in the Cheaha area many times and highly recommend you give Alabama hike a look!

MN

MOWGLI
04-14-2007, 19:08
Mowgli, tell us more about the GET...I thought it was still a major work in progress, last I checked the Cumberland Trail was only 50% complete???? is HH going to road walk the gaps?

Yes she is. ANd she's got a lot of road walking in KY an SW VA too. I plan to walk into Chattanooga with her.

When Sue hits the AT, she'll stay on trail most of the way to the NY border. She'll still have a few road walks here & there though.

MedicineMan
04-15-2007, 13:30
many of them....help me remember a trail I think she will traverse. We use to call it the mishee mogwa (that is nowhere near the correct spelling, best phonetic I could come up with). This trail begins at Cumberland Gap NHP and goes 23ish miles to Ewing, Va...there are so many cools things on this short piece of trail it defies the imagination-including Indian Sand Caves, the last failed settlement in the USA, a keyhole in a post you look in and see Abraham Lincoln in a distant rock outcropping, and more....so I'm thinking it is now part of the Big Pine Mountain trail leaving Cumberland Gap????? I hope she gets to do this section of trail! She is also a pioneer on the GET!