PDA

View Full Version : Footprints

NativePennsylvanian
04-03-2007, 09:43
I recently got a new tent and will be making my own footprint for it. What would you all recommend cutting it to? The tent is 7'8" long and 2'11" wide. Thanks.

QHShowoman
04-03-2007, 10:25
Well, the footprint of a tent is usually about the same size as the tent floor (or just a little bit smaller). The easiest way to create your footprint would be to lay out your footprint material, set up the tent over it, and use a Sharpie or chalk to trace around the bottom of the tent. When cutting out the footprint, cut on the inside of the line you created and you're done!

NativePennsylvanian
04-03-2007, 12:33
Thanks. It's not free standing and I'm by myself so setting it up to trace may get tricky. I'll try though.

mudhead
04-03-2007, 17:27
Rope it off to furniture. Tape to floor. Try not to get tape on fabric!!!!!! (of tent)

You are allowed to trim more later, after all, it is your footprint. I've used one that was too large, just folded it under the tent.

Do your seam sealing if need be, remember to ventilate big time.

QHShowoman
04-03-2007, 17:52
Well, if you are using plastic for your footprint, or fairly inexpensive fabric, you can always poke the stakes right through the footprint material -- that's what I did when I was making a footprint for my Cloudburst out of 2mil plastic sheeting.

Shoe Leather Express
04-04-2007, 17:18
A video how-to.

http://rodale.typepad.com/backpacker_skills_center/