PDA

View Full Version : New Gear that you were "disappointed" in?

sirbingo
04-03-2007, 12:27
Generally I have been very happy with the gear I have purchased...however, once in a while I end up with a clunker.

Have you ever been "disappointed" in a piece of gear you've purchased?

For me it was:

Coghlan's C-Tech Time & Temp Digital Dangler (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=35013178&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1)

Yeah, it was only 10 bucks but the thing is a total POS. It did not work at all. I would have returned it to back to Campmor but the toll over the George Washington bridge would have been more that the thing was worth! Grrr... :mad:

The other "disappointing" purchase was a

Knollwood Bivy Shelter Tent (http://www.texsport.net/knollwood-bivy-shelter-tent-p-43.html)

See the red rain fly...It does not extend over the whole tent. If it rains half your tent gets soaked. Also, when you open the mesh door it falls into the tent and then you have to step on it to exit.

I guess I have been lucky though. Both items were way cheap. So I didn't lose much.

Earl Grey
04-03-2007, 13:13
Not something I bought but something I made and that is an alcohol stove. Just too much fiddling around. Everything else has been great and thats because I did my research and asked questions here first. A testament to this website. (Now if only I wasnt a poor college student and could pay for the donation).

Jester2000
04-03-2007, 18:20
I am slightly disappointed with my lightweight backpacking mustache.

Footslogger
04-03-2007, 18:28
I am slightly disappointed with my lightweight backpacking mustache.

===============================

Where did you get it ?? Maybe you can take it back ...

'Slogger

Appalachian Tater
04-03-2007, 18:54
Princeton Tech Impulse LED. It was too hard to snap it apart even after sanding it down and it wasn't bright enough to be useful.

TJ aka Teej
04-03-2007, 18:56
Crocs. I confess, I bought them because everyone else was wearing them.
I'm back to bringing the same moosehide mocs I wear around the house and yard as campshoes. In a pinch, I can always eat them.

Skidsteer
04-03-2007, 19:09
I'm back to bringing the same moosehide mocs I wear around the house and yard as campshoes. In a pinch, I can always eat them.

Same here. The only time I wear them is at hiker get-togethers. They're very comfortable for lounging and provide a handy excuse for falling down.

Smile
04-03-2007, 19:35
Crocs - stylish, but have cost me MANY slips and falls on my hind end, but I looked good.
:)

Tin Man
04-03-2007, 19:36
My Leki's. Oh they work just great, save my knees, keep me upright and help my rhythm, are good for warding off critters and grifters and yogi the bear, yet I get ridiculed for using them. :-?

RockStar
04-03-2007, 19:42
I too was not pleased with the crocs. At the time I had a pair of HEAVY Chacos that I now HATE. It was like my feet were tied to a couple of rocks. I am a Teva woman and now have a light weight pair of tevas. Crocs are comfy but I just hated when pebbles/dirt/twings got in them and wouldnt shake out like my Tevas.

So I guess the crocs and Chacos were a dissapointment.

Also my REI rain jacket. DONT get me started on that. I will be taking it back when I get to one. I dont care i they give me a dollar credit. Ill enjoy the box of matches more!

Whitefish
04-03-2007, 19:52
Any sugg. alternatives to Crocs? There has to be something lighter

Chache
04-03-2007, 19:52
My Leki's. Oh they work just great, save my knees, keep me upright and help my rhythm, are good for warding off critters and grifters and yogi the bear, yet I get ridiculed for using them. :-?
Stand proud Leki man we don't care what other think.

FanaticFringer
04-03-2007, 19:58

What would they think about my Leki's and my hammock?
#$%%^&&*& THEM:cool:

dloome
04-03-2007, 20:06
That damned Steripen UV purifier thing. Battery life WAY overestimated, and the stupid thing broke in half from about a 8" fall while in the padded case. Total P.O.S. and waste of $80.

RockStar
04-03-2007, 20:10

My Tevas (Newer Style Bought last year) weigh 20oz. Not light but the Chacos weigh around 23oz. So I am sure the Crocs weigh the least and the only thing lighter would be some sort of flip flop. I love my toe thongs as much as the rest but, I wouldnt want to use them on the trail. Personally I already have a hard time walking in them most of the time at home! Once they get any moisture or hit a slick surface Im a goner! I <3 My Tevas!:banana

FanaticFringer
04-03-2007, 20:18

They are slightly lighter than some crocs. Cant beat the price. Mine feel really good: www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21967&highlight=dollar+general

Footslogger
04-03-2007, 20:52

================================

Check out the "Airwalk Connect" from PayLess

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/productdetail.aspx?ItemCode=54069&ProductColor=Black&Width=Regular&TLC=Mens&SLC=MensSandals&BLC=MensSandalsCasuals

Solid on your feet. Good for water crossings.

'Slogger

Skidsteer
04-03-2007, 21:22
================================

Check out the "Airwalk Connect" from PayLess

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/productdetail.aspx?ItemCode=54069&ProductColor=Black&Width=Regular&TLC=Mens&SLC=MensSandals&BLC=MensSandalsCasuals

Solid on your feet. Good for water crossings.

'Slogger

I have a pair and they're as good or better than name brand crocs. But see that innocent little pull tab in the back?

It can cause a blister if you wear them without socks. Trust me.

jasonklass
04-03-2007, 21:33
Yes, here was mine: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=5567

RockStar
04-03-2007, 21:54
Those Airwalks look snazzy! Might check those out!

Footslogger
04-03-2007, 22:02
Those Airwalks look snazzy! Might check those out!

=================================

Just know that they make them in Mens and Womens sizes. The numeric sizes do not translate across the two. To get them to fit correctly you might need to try on both the Mens (Black) and Womens (Blue).

I started off with the Womens size because the closest store did not have the Mens in stock. A few months later they got the Mens sizes in and they fit me better.

'Slogger

Hoku
04-03-2007, 22:08
A Jetboil.

BrianLe
04-03-2007, 23:23
Mostly for me it's not a matter of being dissapointed so much as later finding out there was an even better alternative ...

Shoes are one thing that I think you can't buy on someone else's recommendation --- I got a pair of Salomon TechAmphibians and the heel piece soon gave me blisters, but I know that others hike long distances in them just fine.

Another related sort of disspointment is getting the size of things right when you order online. I wear a size 10 shoe (in normal, not hiking life), and years ago got a size 10 goretex sock. Too small. I just bought a new pair of goretex socks, got size 11's. Barely big enough. Sometimes it goes the other way around; buy the driducks micropore rainsuit and you're better off sizing down than up (at least that was my experience, I swim in the size large coat and had to hem up the pants).

Sorry, not a lot of generally useful lessons learned here ...

(oh, and I also apparantly suck at making an alcohol stove, but a professionally made stove just costs like $30, so ...).

Brian

RockStar
04-04-2007, 00:11
=================================

Just know that they make them in Mens and Womens sizes. The numeric sizes do not translate across the two. To get them to fit correctly you might need to try on both the Mens (Black) and Womens (Blue).

I started off with the Womens size because the closest store did not have the Mens in stock. A few months later they got the Mens sizes in and they fit me better.

'Slogger

Thanks for the heads up!

Mostly for me it's not a matter of being dissapointed so much as later finding out there was an even better alternative ...

Shoes are one thing that I think you can't buy on someone else's recommendation --- I got a pair of Salomon TechAmphibians and the heel piece soon gave me blisters, but I know that others hike long distances in them just fine.

Another related sort of disspointment is getting the size of things right when you order online. I wear a size 10 shoe (in normal, not hiking life), and years ago got a size 10 goretex sock. Too small. I just bought a new pair of goretex socks, got size 11's. Barely big enough. Sometimes it goes the other way around; buy the driducks micropore rainsuit and you're better off sizing down than up (at least that was my experience, I swim in the size large coat and had to hem up the pants).

Sorry, not a lot of generally useful lessons learned here ...

(oh, and I also apparantly suck at making an alcohol stove, but a professionally made stove just costs like $30, so ...).

Brian

I have a pair of Chacos that the sales woman wouldn't shut up about that are a half size too small b/c she argued with me about the size and didn't understand me when I said 50 times "I WEAR MY SHOES A HALF SIZE BIGGER!" They feel more comfortable that way! ANDDDDDD she freaked out when I wanted to buy my hiking boots a size bigger than my actual shoe size. So I had to wait until she was busy to get someone else to help me...ended up with 7 1/2 and it is still not comfy b/c its narrow. :rolleyes: THAT is why I like buying online rather than my local outfitter UNLESS the OWNER is there b/c his wife is PUSHY...as she holds her fuzzy dog in her North Face Fleece and talks about how she lotions her feet to prevent blisters while hiking in the "Backcountry" :rolleyes: Everything I said I needed each time I went she argued with me about.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-04-2007, 06:00
Beyond Fleece jacket. The pocket zippers zip up to open and it's just become a real source of irritation after 4 years.

nutlub
04-04-2007, 07:03
I wasn't thrilled by the minibull stove. A++ in the quality of construction but in the end it did not preform any better then the Supercat stove I made.

:cool:

RockStar
04-04-2007, 08:08
The supercat is pretty super! However, the one I made pretty much has the same results as my Tin Man Pepsi can stove...sorry Caffiene free pepsi can stove. lol But hey...the cat was a total of 1.50 to make. You cant beat that! *FYI this is not a challenge to a stove build off but, if you guys must...

fiddlehead
04-04-2007, 08:12
Leather boots. Man was I glad when "Hi - Techs" came out in about '85.
Then Ray Jardine came along and got us all into running shoes. (most anyway)

Alligator
04-04-2007, 09:35
CMG Bonfire LED light. Thought it might be useful in the winter for hanging out in the tent. It wasn't bright enough, I returned it immediately. It has since changed, but newer LED headlamps have plenty of battery life so I don't feel it has much use.

Coughlan's and GSI flasks. Both leaked. Use a platy, lighter and bigger.

My collapsible shot glass. Too heavy and has a tendency to collapse if bumped too hard.

saimyoji
04-04-2007, 09:39
Don't care much for my PacTech "breathable-waterproof" jacket.

flyfisher
04-04-2007, 11:12

Hi George,

Just for fun, cut a pair of wood hiking sticks the same length you have been setting the Leki poles. Try them out. I did that a couple years ago after testing the Gossamer Gear poles and finding out that I did not need straps. Now, about all I use are wood poles. If I break one (sat on one last year and it broke), it takes about 10 minutes to obtain a new one from the "store".

With wood poles, everyone makes fun of you, but it feels good. After all, they's just jealous.

D'Artagnan
04-04-2007, 13:34
Asolo TPS 520's. These buggers weigh a friggin' ton. Well, only about 4 pounds. I bought them when I first started hiking a couple years ago on the recommendation of my local "outfitter". I wore them on-trail only once and they've been in the box ever since. Plus, I shelled out a little over $200 for the bricks. I should have checked my reflection in the mirror prior to entering the store because undoubtedly I had "Newbie Sucker" plastered across my forehead. Now all I wear are running shoes or Tevas.

If I didn't think karma would come back to bite me in the ass, I'd sell them to some poor unsuspecting soul on ebay. :D

mudhead
04-04-2007, 17:22
Asolo TPS 520's. These buggers weigh a friggin' ton. Well, only about 4 pounds. I bought them when I first started hiking a couple years ago on the recommendation of my local "outfitter". I wore them on-trail only once and they've been in the box ever since. Plus, I shelled out a little over $200 for the bricks. I should have checked my reflection in the mirror prior to entering the store because undoubtedly I had "Newbie Sucker" plastered across my forehead. Now all I wear are running shoes or Tevas.

If I didn't think karma would come back to bite me in the ass, I'd sell them to some poor unsuspecting soul on ebay. :D

Goodwill. Other charity.

Tin Man
04-04-2007, 17:49
Hi George,

Just for fun, cut a pair of wood hiking sticks the same length you have been setting the Leki poles. Try them out. I did that a couple years ago after testing the Gossamer Gear poles and finding out that I did not need straps. Now, about all I use are wood poles. If I break one (sat on one last year and it broke), it takes about 10 minutes to obtain a new one from the "store".

With wood poles, everyone makes fun of you, but it feels good. After all, they's just jealous.

Point of clarification: I am not George the Tin Man of NC-based antigravity.gear fame; I am Tin Man of CT. Sorry for the confusion. It happens from time to time. Maybe it's past time for a new trail name. :-? Although, I got my trail name when I was using wood hiking sticks to which I attached a can with some stones in it to make noise and scare away the bears.

Skidsteer
04-04-2007, 18:32

Hell man, what size are they?

Construction workers wear boots and we don't give a rip about how much they weigh.

Heather
04-04-2007, 23:47

Hey, me too. Its true. I realized there was a slight problem with them when it started raining, they became completely soaked. It was like having cement blocks at the ends of my legs. They take about a week to dry. I discovered that hiking in Tevas was wonderful. Although, I have been thinking of going back to the Asolos for the Pennsylvania rocks....but enough about me.

Egads
04-05-2007, 07:28
TNF Blaze 20* synth bags - start getting cold below 30*

TNF Low cut hiking shoes comfortable everywhere except for the toe box which is too shallow. They are a 1/2 size over my size & I still get brused big toenails.

My homemade aluminum Heini pot stand. It's real light weight but melts after 2-3 trips.

Skidsteer
04-05-2007, 07:50
..My homemade aluminum Heini pot stand. It's real light weight but melts after 2-3 trips..

I bet that was exciting. What kind of alumunum did you make it from?

Egads
04-05-2007, 07:55
A roll of gutterguard

Skidsteer
04-05-2007, 08:04
A roll of gutterguard

Note to self.....

Outlaw
04-05-2007, 08:31
A roll of gutterguard

DIY WARNING: equipment can and will melt when you're mind is always in the gutter! LOL :D

D'Artagnan
04-05-2007, 08:57
Hell man, what size are they?

Construction workers wear boots and we don't give a rip about how much they weigh.

Ahh, there's the rub. I was told I needed them "snug" so they wouldn't slip around. I normally wear a 10.5 but these are 9.5 ( Men's U.S. ).

I like the Goodwill suggestion, too. Hadn't thought about that.

Jester2000
04-05-2007, 19:16

Um. Bare feet?

Jester2000
04-05-2007, 19:18
Although I must say that I'm kind of disappointed with the pair of feet I've been using lately. The left one broke in 2000 and it hasn't really been the same since. Maybe I should check ebay for a new pair?

Chache
04-05-2007, 19:35
Try these http://vibramfivefingers.com/

Pennsylvania Rose
04-05-2007, 19:38
Although I must say that I'm kind of disappointed with the pair of feet I've been using lately. The left one broke in 2000 and it hasn't really been the same since. Maybe I should check ebay for a new pair?

How about knees? Blew my left one out last year pushing my car out of some mud. After several hundred $$ of MRIs and PT, it still swells and stiffens up (but strangely doesn't hurt) whenever I walk more than a mile.

Seriously, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Crocs. Mine give me blisters if I don't wear socks, and I've slipped down my front steps when it rains.

There's lots of other gear I have that I don't particularly like, but I wasn't expecting much for the $$ I had to spend.

rafe
04-05-2007, 19:41
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most....

Jester2000
04-05-2007, 19:45
Mine give me blisters if I don't wear socks. . .

You should design a combination Crocs/Socks footwear for hikers. You could call them Scrocks.

Two Speed
04-05-2007, 21:10
The most useless piece of gear I ever owned was one of those magnesium firestarter thingys (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=1024&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1). Carried that sucker around for 10 or 15 years before I realized that was one well travelled piece of crap. Ran across another hiker somewhere, now forgotten, who expressed interest and I gave it to him.

Whoever that was, I am truly sorry.

Pennsylvania Rose
04-05-2007, 21:43
The most useless piece of gear I ever owned was one of those magnesium firestarter thingys (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=1024&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1). Carried that sucker around for 10 or 15 years before I realized that was one well travelled piece of crap. Ran across another hiker somewhere, now forgotten, who expressed interest and I gave it to him.

Whoever that was, I am truly sorry.

I gave two of my teenagers those for x-mas this year after seeing Survivorman using one. They took them on our trip this past week to play around with. Good thing they did. I managed to lose lighter #1. Lighter #2 ran out of butane on the third of 5 days. When I switched bags for my 1st aid/emergency kit the waterproof matches somehow got left out. So, no way to light the stove. Didn't really matter, anyhow, because I got a new canister stove last week. I've never used a canister stove before and drastically underestimated how much fuel I'd need to boil 6-8 cups of water twice a day. So, when lighter #2 ran out of butane, the kids fooled around with the magnesium fire starter and got us some tinder going to light the stove with. The stove ran out of fuel 2 minutes later. We ended up boiling water to cook with on a fire the last two nights of our trip. With good tinder (birch bark rocks!!!) and some practice my 14 and 15 year olds are now the fire goddess and god.

BTW, I've been backpacking for 17 years. I've never had a trip that went so badly when it comes to equipment. The kids and I made a list of 14 "technological difficulties" while we were sitting in our tent that now has two split and duct taped poles. If I hadn't been backpacking for so long, I think we'd have given up and never gone out again.

ShakeyLeggs
04-05-2007, 21:54
I gave two of my teenagers those for x-mas this year after seeing Survivorman using one. They took them on our trip this past week to play around with. Good thing they did. I managed to lose lighter #1. Lighter #2 ran out of butane on the third of 5 days. When I switched bags for my 1st aid/emergency kit the waterproof matches somehow got left out. So, no way to light the stove. Didn't really matter, anyhow, because I got a new canister stove last week. I've never used a canister stove before and drastically underestimated how much fuel I'd need to boil 6-8 cups of water twice a day. So, when lighter #2 ran out of butane, the kids fooled around with the magnesium fire starter and got us some tinder going to light the stove with. The stove ran out of fuel 2 minutes later. We ended up boiling water to cook with on a fire the last two nights of our trip. With good tinder (birch bark rocks!!!) and some practice my 14 and 15 year olds are now the fire goddess and god.

BTW, I've been backpacking for 17 years. I've never had a trip that went so badly when it comes to equipment. The kids and I made a list of 14 "technological difficulties" while we were sitting in our tent that now has two split and duct taped poles. If I hadn't been backpacking for so long, I think we'd have given up and never gone out again.

The only peice of gear that I was disappointed in was my Sierra Designs Lightyear CD. Dern thing collected water at the foot of it on the rainfly. I even made sure it was a taught pitch still did it. Replaced it with a Walrus Zoid 1.5 great tent but now I hang HH ULBA.

As for the above quoted text those are the trips that you most remember and enjoy. At least in my mind. Bet you had a good laugh afterwards.

Pennsylvania Rose
04-05-2007, 22:04
As for the above quoted text those are the trips that you most remember and enjoy. At least in my mind. Bet you had a good laugh afterwards.

Today is afterwards - we just got home last night. Luckily, we all have a good sense of humor - we took bets guessing what would go wrong next. I won with the second tent pole breaking. Didn't have to collect firewood that night.

BTW, what are the thingies on a pack that you can feed straps through to hold stuff on called? Ever have one break? Ever have BOTH break at the same time and end up with your sleeping bag dangling from the pack frame to your knees? Wish I'd taken a picture of my son when it happened. I fixed the problem with some creative strapping.

Two Speed
04-06-2007, 06:38
I gave two of my teenagers those for x-mas this year after seeing Survivorman using one. . . If you got any use for one of those things, well, more power to ya.

I've take some of those primitive skills classes where they teach you to start a fire with a bowdrill, and frankly, what I got out of that was "don't loose the lighter." Yeah, there's a blue million ways of getting a fire going, and it's good stuff to know, but on Planet Two Speed there ain't gonna be much of that going on.

TN_Hiker
04-06-2007, 08:58
That is slick.....kind of like toe socks. Has anyone used these or know what the weight of them are?

Chache
04-06-2007, 19:08
That is slick.....kind of like toe socks. Has anyone used these or know what the weight of them are?
I got the classic. Which at the time I got them was their only product. I think there great. Really protects your foot. Its likes a glove for your foot. I would weight them but I just sent them with all my gear to Laguna Beach ,CA. I will be flying out there on Sunday to meet a old friend and go hiking by the Grand Canyon. Havasu Falls to be exact.

superman
04-06-2007, 20:30
When the temp gets hot I realy don't like my G4 pack. Specifically it's the thermarest or Z-rest that the GR holds against my back. It's a nice idea but it doesn't work for me. It's fine for spring and fall when the temp is cool but not when it's warm. We just hiked the section from Springer to Neels Gap and it was hot to us. We'd left NH with the temp near zero and got down there with the temp at 89. We just got back the other day in time for the snow storm. The older I get the less of a multi-climate person I am.
I used to carry tevas but I changed to crocs for the lighter weight. I have hiked in both the tevas and crocs when the trails permitted and I needed a break from my boots.

nutlub
04-07-2007, 08:00
I had the same experience when I borrowed a buds G4 pack.

superman
04-07-2007, 08:37
How could I forget the worst one? I bought one of those special made, extra light tents. I gave $300 for something that was like sleeping in a car wash. I asked in advance if it would be water proof. I was assured it would be water proof...it wasn't. We were in the middle of no place on the PCT when we discovered how bad that purchase was from Moonbow. I've paid a lot less for a better tarp to cover my fire wood with.

SGT Rock
04-07-2007, 09:31
In-Line filter I tried once. Absolutly sucked. Clogged more and more every day no matter how much I tried things like pre-filter, back flush, scrubbing, etc. Finally jammed all the way up when I was days from anywhere. I threw it away when I got to Neels Gap and when back to iodine.

Other than that, there have been things I have tested that worked and I could live with, but have not been as good as stuff I was already using so it now sits in my basement or in my garage as relics of gear tests of trails past.

TJ aka Teej
04-07-2007, 09:52

But, can you eat them in a pinch? :D

Froggy
04-08-2007, 16:57
Freezer Bag Cooking. Or maybe I just haven't quite figured it out yet. The food either comes out too watery or too mushy, that is if it's done at all. Some foods don't cook properly unless the water's at a rolling boil and some that cook easily are merely horrid.

What's more, unless I make every meal in advance (and without resupply mail drops planned, that's a non-starter) when I hit town I'll need to make sure that I have a new supply of Ziploc bags and buy from a very limited range of foods. And I'll need a list of foods that won't ever cook that way, to keep me from trying the same failure yet again.

It's fine once in a while for limited things, I'll grant that.

Oh, while I'm at it, I'll add to the list of things that don't live up to their promise, a spork I bought. It's real pretty and it's real light. The "ork" part works well enough. But the "spo" part holds about a quarter-teaspoon, and it takes more calories lifting my arm up with it than it will hold.

Just Jeff
04-13-2007, 17:54
Try the "Light My Fire" spork - it has the fork at one end and the spoon at the other. I just bought one from Walmart....haven't used it yet though.

ShakeyLeggs
04-13-2007, 20:48
Try the "Light My Fire" spork - it has the fork at one end and the spoon at the other. I just bought one from Walmart....haven't used it yet though.
I just got mine today. I tried it with my new Evernew .9l pot to see how the pot would hold a meal for me. I kinda like it it is different. The only thing that I am disappointed in with it is that it has a knife edge on the fork side now how the heck am I to cut my food with it if it is also part of the fork:confused:. I do carry a Leatherman Mica so this is really a non issue.
Now to help keep this on topic I am disapointed in the Snowpeak Mini Solo I bought a while ago. While it is a great pot I have found it to be to small in both volume and diameter for me. Also for me it is a bit of a chore to clean. Also I prefer a nonstick coating and the Evernew takes care of all these issues.

Jester2000
04-13-2007, 20:53
Now to help keep this on topic I am disapointed in the Snowpeak Mini Solo I bought a while ago. . .I have found it to be too small in both volume and diameter for me.

So you bought a pot called a "mini solo" and you were disappointed to find that it was small. Okay.

ShakeyLeggs
04-13-2007, 21:53
So you bought a pot called a "mini solo" and you were disappointed to find that it was small. Okay.

lol nice catch. Live and learn :eek:;)

Ramble~On
04-13-2007, 21:57
They are slightly lighter than some crocs. Cant beat the price. Mine feel really good: www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21967&highlight=dollar+general (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21967&highlight=dollar+general)

As it seems the going rate for a pair of "Crocs" is $29.95....
The Dollar General foam clogs (that just so happen to be nearly identical to "Crocs") are a good buy. I'm wearing mine now..I removed the foam straps and replaced them with a 1 inch strip of elastic...same function but more secure. The $23.00 I saved over a pair of (very, very, very nearly identical) "Crocs" may be used for something else.

Franco
04-14-2007, 18:56
Having worked in retail for a long time I know that most items are sold with a warranty. We never stocked feet or knees but I am sure that they come with a lifetime guarantee ( implied) , so I would send the defective part back to the maker and ask for a replacement.

On the frivolous side, I do have a few sporks (titanium and plastic) but I use the long handle spoon from BackpakingLight, I had to exchange a kidney for it but I like it.Ideal if you eat from the pot or bags as I do.

The item I am disappointed with is one I was given, my brain, I tried to exchange it by they told me that I would have to give up my good looks to accommodate a working version.
Franco

napster
04-14-2007, 19:23
Jetboil and HH super shelter. . .

sirbingo
04-30-2007, 12:14
This coffee steaper thing sucks!

http://www.rei.com/product/638124

Did not work at all.

Grrr...:mad:

Slosteppin
04-30-2007, 19:45
This coffee steaper thing sucks!

http://www.rei.com/product/638124

Did not work at all.

Grrr...:mad:

I bought one about 5 years ago. Tried it in the kitchen at home several times. The coffee, at best, was ok. I found it really difficult to clean the old grounds out even under the faucet. No way was I going to take it backpacking.
It is still in a drawer someplace.

slosteppin

Tipi Walter
05-01-2007, 08:05
A Princeton Tec handheld flashlight failed me on a long backpacking trip and I cursed it and the Campmor catalog I got it out of. Danged thing would turn ON when OFF requiring useless adjustments. Tossed it.

When used for extended backpacking, all Walmart boots are problematic.

And so herein begins my rant of the Limmer midweight backpacking leather boots. After just 4 months of ownership, the welt thread ripped out on both boots and so I called the Limmer boys in New Hampshire and they told me they might of used UNWAXED thread in a factory run instead of the standard waxed thread, in which case any repairs would be free. In the meantime I made a field repair by squirting a bunch of glue under the soles and then later sent them off north for repair. The glue I used seemed to invalidate my nebulous warranty since they charged me $90 for the repair and yet when I received the fixed boots one Vibram heel peeled off a week after useage. They now sit in a corner looking at me and laughing.

RockDoc
05-07-2007, 01:01
I did not like the Evernew 0.9 l titanium pot. Everything we cooked in it burned, and it developed difficult to clean little charred hot spots. Soup, oatmeal, you name it. Seemed a little lame for a $50 pot. We returned it to REI for a refund, after using it for a 5 day backpacking trip.
BTW we used a MSR whisperlite stove, mostly for one-pot meals for two. I think maybe the stove (always run full-blast) was too high performance for the Ti pot (we ran it the same way that we had for over 10 years with a steel billy pot with no such burnage problems). The Ti pot might be OK if you only boil water in it, or use a "cooler" stove such as an alcohol burner.

Also I recently got a Vargo Triad titanium stove and I'm not overjoyed with it. Fussy and long cook times. Prefer a homemade supercat stove.

funbun
05-07-2007, 15:32
Stand proud Leki man we don't care what other think.

That sounds like a great radio Budwieser commercial.

damush
05-07-2007, 20:28
not everyone is an ultra-lite hiker.if these bad boys are as pristine as you say,go ahead and sell them to anyone that wants them.boots can also be used for things other than on-trail walking.

damush
05-07-2007, 20:39
my above message is in reference to heavy boots-so&so's asolo bricks.

Blissful
05-07-2007, 21:11

They are not holding up well out here for the price. Many hikers are complaining of them breaking. Paul Bunyan's broke.

emerald
05-07-2007, 21:34
Doesn't really matter what she said.

Hey, I thought you were hiking!:D

Falqon
05-12-2007, 23:48
I was pretty disappointed in my Black Diamond Lightsabre bivy. It's great until the rain really starts coming down, or when it rains all night (which in Alaska happened a lot) I think I saw a new design with a footpole to keep it taught, I really think this would alleviate a lot of problems.

I guess also a bit more research would have been helpful, I was expecting too much from a single wall, but all of the reading I did failed to decisively say "this thing will leave you with a wet sleeping bag"

saimyoji
07-18-2007, 18:37
Campmor 200 fleece pullover: No wind protection whatsoever. I was pretty dissapointed. Great ventilation though. :rolleyes:

Dirtygaiters
07-19-2007, 00:39
If you got any use for one of those things, well, more power to ya.

I've take some of those primitive skills classes where they teach you to start a fire with a bowdrill, and frankly, what I got out of that was "don't loose the lighter." Yeah, there's a blue million ways of getting a fire going, and it's good stuff to know, but on Planet Two Speed there ain't gonna be much of that going on.

I'm with the other guy. Those flints are great! Why carry a matches or lighter? I have no idea. I do know why I don't carry either. Matches go bad when wet, lighters run out of fuel, both are almost impossible to use in wind and lighters are almost impossible to operate in the cold. Flint and steel (and the often unmentioned film canister full of cotton tinder that makes starting fire with a flint a piece of cake) works just fine cold, wet, windy, anything. It doesn't really run out. You can scrape a lot of the flint away, but it takes a very long time. A flint is 100% reliable. Matches are not. Lighters are not.

Dirtygaiters
07-19-2007, 00:44
As for gear I was disappointed in...
One of them is the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. I actually do love this pack, but damn the lack of pockets gets annoying sometimes. I need an outer mesh pocket, and I'd like it if I didn't have to pay extra for a hipblet pocket.

Another is the MSR Hubba. Good tent. I like the headroom a lot, but side to side it's small, quite small. For 3.5 lbs, that's OK, but it really makes me wish I had known about the Tarptents before buying the Hubba.

funbun
07-19-2007, 08:32
I was pretty disappointed in my Black Diamond Lightsabre bivy.

You bought a shelter with the word lightsabre in it? :eek:

xunitedbychristx
07-19-2007, 09:45

Men’s size 42 -
5.3 oz. each, 10.6 oz. a pair
Women’s size 37 -
4.25 oz. each, 8.5 oz.a pair

I have some that I use to run in. They are amazing. I love being bare foot and this allows me to be barefoot anywhere without worrying about where I am stepping. My wife dispises them. They are pretty ugly.

mudhead
07-19-2007, 10:14
I can't imagine that no one will admit to buying a Dana Packfly.

Anyone want one?

Seeker
07-19-2007, 11:27
my worst waste of money-CMG Bonfire LED light. i couldn't even give it away at a recent garage sale.

second worst-Princeton Tec Pulsar II. Switch turns on way too easily. Found it 'on' in my pack twice. so i'm back to using a Photon. About double the cost, but reliable.

Jim Adams
07-19-2007, 11:43
As for gear I was disappointed in...
One of them is the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. I actually do love this pack, but damn the lack of pockets gets annoying sometimes. I need an outer mesh pocket, and I'd like it if I didn't have to pay extra for a hipblet pocket.

Another is the MSR Hubba. Good tent. I like the headroom a lot, but side to side it's small, quite small. For 3.5 lbs, that's OK, but it really makes me wish I had known about the Tarptents before buying the Hubba.

Just returned from the PCT and absolutely loved my Hubba. Yes it is narrow, and I'm not a "thin" guy but I came home thinking that this was one of the best purchases I've ever made. OTOH almost all of the hikers using H.S. Tarp / tents reminded me of my old British motorcycles...they work fine as long as you continuously work on them.:)

geek

JoeHiker
07-24-2007, 15:07
How could I forget the worst one? I bought one of those special made, extra light tents. I gave $300 for something that was like sleeping in a car wash. I asked in advance if it would be water proof. I was assured it would be water proof...it wasn't. We were in the middle of no place on the PCT when we discovered how bad that purchase was from Moonbow. I've paid a lot less for a better tarp to cover my fire wood with.

Did you seam seal it?

superman
07-24-2007, 16:17
It wasn't the seems. The rain came through the material like we were in a car wash. I specifically asked if it would leak. I was assured that it wouldn't...it did.

Chaco Taco
07-24-2007, 16:55
I do not like Thermarest sleeping pads. I always manage to end up rolling off of mine because it just isnt wide enough. I decided to use a foam bottom that attaches to a yoga pad. It's light and much softer, Ill carry a little extra weight as long as I get better sleep.

bulldog49
07-24-2007, 23:45
Freezer Bag Cooking. Or maybe I just haven't quite figured it out yet. The food either comes out too watery or too mushy, that is if it's done at all. Some foods don't cook properly unless the water's at a rolling boil and some that cook easily are merely horrid.

What's more, unless I make every meal in advance (and without resupply mail drops planned, that's a non-starter) when I hit town I'll need to make sure that I have a new supply of Ziploc bags and buy from a very limited range of foods. And I'll need a list of foods that won't ever cook that way, to keep me from trying the same failure yet again.

It's fine once in a while for limited things, I'll grant that.

Oh, while I'm at it, I'll add to the list of things that don't live up to their promise, a spork I bought. It's real pretty and it's real light. The "ork" part works well enough. But the "spo" part holds about a quarter-teaspoon, and it takes more calories lifting my arm up with it than it will hold.

I've had the same experience with freezer bag cooking. I've yet to get get a decent meal with this method.

sly dog
07-25-2007, 23:23
For camp shoes, i went with the walmart water shoes. Lite, comfortable, good in or out of water,cheap (2 or 3 bucks),and comfortable.

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2007, 23:13
Iodine? Iodine was the biggest waste of space in my pack. Went with a bunch of Boy Scouts who used it each morning to clear a couple of gallons of water for drinking. They covered up the taste with Crystal Lite and boy did I get sick - I now know that I am allergic to Iodine.

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2007, 23:42
[quote=Colonel Chaco;383813]I do not like Thermarest sleeping pads.

I agree - even with the optional seat pad the weight & comfort isn't great. I bearly used it on a 7 day trip in Algonquin National Park. Young lightweight adults or teens - ok. Adults trying to sleep on your side (Hip) should consider Big Agnes air core -
provided you don't smoke cus you are going to need the lungs. :datz

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-26-2007, 05:47
Snow Peak Ti cookware - it burned everything except boiling water and food stuck to it like epoxy. My 30+ yo aluminum set is back in use.

hopefulhiker
08-26-2007, 07:52
Waterproof socks, Seal Skins.. very uncomfortable...

SGT Rock
08-26-2007, 08:12
Thermarest. Heavy, wasn't comfortable.

Jim Adams
08-26-2007, 23:28
Patagonia capaline? (polypro) boxer / briefs. $26...lasted 6 days before they where full of holes.

geek

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-27-2007, 04:37
Thermarest. Heavy, wasn't comfortable.I tried Pro 4 and didn't like it, but he-dino thinks it is wonderful. I switched to a BA insulated air-core which is heavenly.

Marta
08-27-2007, 06:16
I switched to a BA insulated air-core which is heavenly.

...I got one of these a few years ago. It was heavenly for about four uses, then suddenly left me lying on the ground halfway through a three-day trip. In the winter. (I had the insulated model.) When one of these goes flat, there's not much left to it. Never again.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-27-2007, 08:03
...I got one of these a few years ago. It was heavenly for about four uses, then suddenly left me lying on the ground halfway through a three-day trip. In the winter. (I had the insulated model.) When one of these goes flat, there's not much left to it. Never again.:::: :eek: Dino seen with quivering lip and praying this never happens to her. Dino does carry the patch kit. ::::

Nearly Normal
08-31-2007, 20:01
Granite Gear White Lighting Tarp.

I really like the design but the cloud white color makes it highly visible and it's too bright to sleep under. Even on a dark night.

Nearly Normal

oops56
08-31-2007, 22:17
Close your eyes:confused:

Passionphish
09-01-2007, 00:16
I purchased the Big Agnes Air Core 3/4. It have me back and hip trouble from being over inflated. When I finally got the air just right the ground stabbed my hips and bony butt. I'm waiting for my newly ordered POE Uber-light slef inflating pad. I like my therma-rests growing up... I'm hoping this is the best of both worlds.

dvhiker
09-01-2007, 00:26
I am searching for the right backpack for hiking the AT in May 2008. I read that the MLD Revelation Pack was good. After researching I found that the maximum weight was only 14 lbs that it holds. Does anyone have any recommendations. I currently own a Camelback Hog. It is an internal pack and I have carried up to 30 lbs in it. I don't know if it would be the right one a long endurance hiking. Any suggestions?

sirbingo
11-05-2007, 15:19
Coghlan's C-Tech Time & Temp Digital Dangler (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=35013178&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1) from Campmor

Do not buy this POS! This thing never worked from day 1!

I would have returned it but it was 10 bucks and a drive over the George Washington bridge back to Campmor was like 7 bucks! AARRGH!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

D'Artagnan
11-05-2007, 16:43
Katadyn Microfilter Water Bottle. It was WAY too heavy, held little water, and drinking from it was akin to trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose. I guess in a pinch it would be ok, but it was just not feasible to carry for any distance.

Cosmo Rules
11-05-2007, 17:30
The two tone rainfly that came with the SD Electron tent doesn't dry.

Tin Man
11-05-2007, 18:01
The two tone rainfly that came with the SD Electron tent doesn't dry.

Ever? I better go check mine. I hung it in the basement for a week before packing it away after my last trip.

canerunner
11-05-2007, 18:10

Let 'em talk. Talk is cheap, and doesn't do anything to help you out.

I don't think I could go back to hiking without the Lekis. Mine have saved my buns a bunch of times just because I could catch myself and regain my balance before falling.

Your hiking poles don't have to say "LEKI" on them, in fact, you can use a single sturdy hiking staff. This weekend, I took a small group to Joyce Kilmer and hiked up the Naked Groud trail, and back down the Jenkins Meadow trail. One of the guys with me said that he didn't like having anything in his hands when he hiked. While we were up at the top, my son talked him into trying his hiking poles. When we got back down to the parking area, the guy said that he thought he'd have to eat his words about carrying something. The hiking poles made the hike out so much easier, he's looking to buy a set this week.

Manach
11-05-2007, 22:34
MSR MiniWorks. I've always used a filter and this one was replacing an old and kinda funky PUR Hiker. It's a great filter, seems to do a good job, it's easy to pump, it's easy to take apart and clean.

I bought it before I came across Townsend's "Advanced Backpacker," Mueser's "Long Distance Hiking," and all the other sources that point to a filter in the backcountry being a total waste of pack space.

Oh, and before I'd heard of AquaMira.

TOW
11-05-2007, 23:25
candle laterns suck..........

rafe
11-05-2007, 23:34
candle laterns suck..........

For thru-hiking, maybe. They're nice to have along on shorter trips when weight's not such a big consideration.

Cookerhiker
11-06-2007, 10:10
Biggest disappointment re. new gear - I bought a Vargo alcohol stove at Trail Days '06 since alcohol seemed to be the rage. I learned soon enough first-hand that alcohol stoves do not meet my cooking needs/desires.

Nothing against Vargo in particular - I'm not just an alcoholic. I gave the stove away to a fellow WBer who's an alcohol enthusiast.

Deb
11-06-2007, 15:12
Now, now, Bill, I don't drink that much.

It's a cool little stove, takes a little fussing but oh so trick.

twosticks
11-06-2007, 17:01
Katadyn Microfilter Water Bottle. It was WAY too heavy, held little water, and drinking from it was akin to trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose. I guess in a pinch it would be ok, but it was just not feasible to carry for any distance.

So you admit to being able to suck a golf ball through a garden hose?

D'Artagnan
11-07-2007, 10:46
So you admit to being able to suck a golf ball through a garden hose?

To paraphrase Seinfeld, "No. Not that there's anything wrong with that." :D