PDA

View Full Version : good pack for travel and trail?

juztyn
04-03-2007, 22:48
anyone have any good recomendations for a good, medium size pack that works well for both travel (mainly plane) and hiking? something fairly simple, not too many pockets, and something you can move the hipbelt out of the way too but still have fairly decent carry on the trail. I've tried with my atmos but the hipbelt always gets in the way plus its not big enough. i know ems used to make one for that purpose but i think it had a hard exterior, seemed a lil much. any ideas? thanks for the help

fiddlehead
04-04-2007, 06:43
I prefer something simple like my Go-lite Breeze. No hipbelt necessary. Has a telescoping top for the extras.
That said, when i see backpackers (as they call themselves here in Asia) they usually have these gigantic packs and they are stuffed so full that they also have a smaller one on the front with stuff hanging all over both.
One thing the AT teaches people: Less is more. Simplify.
Sometimes i pity these small girls carrying what appears to be 70 lb loads. but we all have to learn in our own way, aye?
Most would probably say that my golite is too small. It holds my laptop and a few changes of clothes and a camera and my small ditty bag. Anything else i can either do without or buy as i travel.

Footslogger
04-04-2007, 08:57
I've travelled (actually both my wife and I have) several times with our Granite Gear Vapor Trail packs. We've both carried them on and checked them on occasion. They fit in the overhead compartment with no problem.

'Slogger

juztyn
04-05-2007, 11:49
hmm, well i need something medium size because i have to carry a dress suit and sometimes a few changes of clothes when i travel. i pack fairly light otherwise but some trips i need my laptop and a few other things so a little extra space comes in handy.