PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning a Fall/Winter SOBO?

firemountain
04-03-2007, 23:40
I thru hiked last fall/winter, and saw more people than I expected. Maybe eight or hikers in the northeast. This year I will be hiking again, only from Katahdin to near Mt Washington this time though. This was my favorite part of the trail. I plan do complete this section in around 30 days and I will have time to do several other long distance hikes not on the AT. Just wondering if anybody else is planning on being out there at that time? I'm sure I will see all the NOBO successes but we will have passed each other somewhere between Stratton and Gorham.

Adom
04-27-2007, 10:45
I'm trying to figure out if it's possible for me. I hiked GA>NY last spring-summer and would like to do the rest this year. I got off at the Zoo right before the toll bring so I have around 800 miles I would like to hike and I'm open to the idea of continuing on as long as it's enjoyable.
Only problem for me is my job will keep me busy untill september and that seems late by most peoples standards. I think being in the Northeast during peak fall colors would be one of the greatest experiences of my life. I'm probably going to go for it but I'm still unsure..

DawnTreader
04-27-2007, 12:29
GO FOR IT Adom!!!

spittinpigeon
04-27-2007, 13:21
I've thought about doing that section again this year. Don't know what time though, right now I'm looking for somewhere else to live/work for the summer.

warraghiyagey
04-28-2007, 01:54
GO FOR IT Adom!!!

Dude won't tell me where he wants to meet this summer.:eek: :)
Beater, why don't you ditch the 'place to live - job' thing and go for a hike. SOBO. It was good for you the first time wasn't it? And who's the lovely lady with you in the picture? :)
SOBO7

spittinpigeon
04-28-2007, 10:30
Dude won't tell me where he wants to meet this summer.:eek: :)
Beater, why don't you ditch the 'place to live - job' thing and go for a hike. SOBO. It was good for you the first time wasn't it? And who's the lovely lady with you in the picture? :)
SOBO7

Easier said than done my friend. When you come home to $20,000 in credit card debt, funding another hike isn't the first thing on your mind.

firemountain
05-03-2007, 09:32
Adom - for a late season hike the key is Mt Washington. I did the presidential traverse on Oct 3 and there was a little bit of snow and ice. Some years it will come earlier than others. Once safely past the Whites you are home free all the way down to the Smokies. A 20 degree bag would probably keep most people very warm for the first part of the hike. I used a 35 bag and when I would start to shiver I would just get up and start hiking.

Stonewall
05-03-2007, 18:05
I would be up for a hike around Sept. My plans for my thru this year arn't looking to good but I definently want to get out.

Adom
05-04-2007, 10:32
Hey thanks for the support and information

With out the companion around, I'm guessing off of memory that I'd have 4-5 weeks before I hit the Whites after leaving Katahdin. I'm capable of 20-30 on a regular basis but I'm basing this off terrain that is considered much easier than that section of trail so I could over estimating. I'm not out to rush through the trail but I'm not against high miles by any means either.

I have a 20 degree bag, it would be great if I didn't to purchase any new gear to make it during that time of year.

emerald
05-04-2007, 19:41
Hey thanks for the support and information.

Glad to see you are considering finishing what you began last year. I would encourage you to do so while you are still young and don't have some of the commitments that are apt to come later.:)

emerald
05-04-2007, 19:45
With out the companion around, I'm guessing off of memory that I'd have 4-5 weeks before I hit the Whites after leaving Katahdin.

We can fix that little problem of no companion for you right now. Click here (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm).

firemountain
07-25-2007, 22:15
I am so excited!!! I finally got definate dates and have started to get everything together. On October 8 I will be heading up toward Katahdin and starting south from there. I expect even more cold and solitude than I had last year! Plan on crossing the Presidentials in the beginning of November which could be dicey.

Right now I am not sure if I will do a complete (second) thru hike or not. I have so other things in mind as well for this winter. Including but not limited to a cross country bicycle trip, the long trail (in winter of course), the catamount ski trail, and the metacomet monadnock trail.

Just wanted to share my excitement with everybody. Now that I have a definate departure date the time will FLY by. 10 weeks to go!!!

I LOVE THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL!