PDA

View Full Version : What is this bag rated for?

Rhino-lfl
04-04-2007, 08:54
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=2298015&cid=99696&fp=F

Name of the bag says 0 degree, details say +15 degree lol.

QHShowoman
04-04-2007, 09:19
Well, considering that the bag weighs almost 4 lbs., I'd say it doesn't much matter how it's rated.

Rhino-lfl
04-04-2007, 09:33
Well, considering that the bag weighs almost 4 lbs., I'd say it doesn't much matter how it's rated.

That response doesn't make much sense, but we all appreciate the effort!

saimyoji
04-04-2007, 09:40

It makes perfect sense if you have the sense to make of it. :-?

At 4lbs, why would you want to carry it? :rolleyes:

Heater
04-04-2007, 09:41

It may be OK for car camping but no way in hell any sane person would pack it.
(Subject WRT hiking = moot... I think that's what she mean't) :-?

Happy
04-04-2007, 09:43

I believe it means that it is a 15 degree bag, but I would not trust it below 20 degrees...and a WM Ultralite lives up to it's 20 degree rating for 26 ounces.

Toolshed
04-04-2007, 10:06
It's crap filling - Maybe it was 0d on the factory floor, but since it has been sitting somewhere stuffed/packed for a while, it is probably now a 20d bag.
Next spring with will be worthless at 20d and might be good at 35d.
Again 4lbs is an awful lot to carry nowadays for a 3 season sleeping bag.

QHShowoman
04-04-2007, 10:21
Rhino: The others that have responded are correct in their interpretation of my initial post. The bag you inquired about it simply so heavy that it isn't even worth considering for backpacking, in my book. Perhaps you can use this bag for car camping, but considering that brand is relatively unheard of and the bag is manufactured out of some sort of mystery material, I'd suggest you go with a more reputable manufacturer.

If you are in need of an economical bag and aren't overly concerned about weight, consider brands like Kelty and Slumberjack and purchase it from a reputable retailer (REI, EMS, CAMPMOR) instead of looking at generic no-name bags from discount sites and shady online vendors.

Quoddy
04-04-2007, 10:42
Unable to edit

Quoddy
04-04-2007, 10:58
Many foreign manufacturers use 2 or even three ratings. It's important to know which one they're referring to. I've found that it's often the "Limit of Comfort" which is shown.

Temperature of comfort
Lower limit of comfort range. The temperature at which the person in the sleeping bag is in thermal equilibrium; not feeling cold throughout the entire body. (reference: standard woman in standard conditions; in relaxed posture, such as lying on back)

Temperature of limit of comfort
Lower limit of comfort range. The temperature at which the person in the sleeping bag is in thermal equilibrium; not feeling cold throughout the entire body. (reference: standard man in ‘fighting against cold’ situation; such as rolled up body posture)

Extreme temperature
Lower temperature extreme where the risk of hypothermia occurs. Situation of high cold stress, which can be maintained for a limited duration of six hours. (reference: standard woman in standard conditions of use; rolled up in the bag to minimise thermal loss through the sleeping bag)

dloome
04-07-2007, 20:51

HA! The "X-fiber" insulation sounds so COOL though...:rolleyes: