PDA

View Full Version : Bivy or Liner??? 2/20/08 NOBO

Whitefish
04-05-2007, 00:39
Tarp camping as much as possible headed north one day at a time:banana
I have a mtn. hard phantom +15, tyvek ground sheet, and good ground pad. I know it is going to be colder than +15 many nights starting north on 2/20, but I don't have the experience to know bivy or liner to add the extra warmth?? I'm currently looking into the blk.diamond winter bivy @ 10oz. or using a cocoon silk liner @ 4.7 OZ. I'm sure they both would work well but I'm thinking the bivy would be worth the added weight warm wise,would the bivy be that much warmer :-? thanks all

Whistler
04-05-2007, 00:52
I'd take the bivy. I think having the wind/weather-blocking ability of the bivy wins. If some freak accident got your bag soaked, you'd still have a livable place out of the cold, whereas the liner doesn't help so much. And it will be more useful for everyday rain splatter, spindrift, etc. Whereas the silk just kind of sits there feeling nice and smooth.
-Mark

Heater
04-05-2007, 01:16
Tarp camping as much as possible headed north one day at a time:banana
I have a mtn. hard phantom +15, tyvek ground sheet, and good ground pad. I know it is going to be colder than +15 many nights starting north on 2/20, but I don't have the experience to know bivy or liner to add the extra warmth?? I'm currently looking into the blk.diamond winter bivy @ 10oz. or using a cocoon silk liner @ 4.7 OZ. I'm sure they both would work well but I'm thinking the bivy would be worth the added weight warm wise,would the bivy be that much warmer :-? thanks all

I asked Titanium Goat and they said around 5 degrees. He was a little hesitant at that. Silk liners add 8 or 9 degrees but dont offer the protective shell. If I were using a tarp I'd go with a lightweight Bivy. If I felt I needed to increase the warmth of the bag I wouldcarry the silk liner as well.

Total weght of the two together is 11 or 12 oz and will give you around 0 degrees rating, added protection and lots of sleeping arrangement alternatives.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html

Heater
04-05-2007, 01:26
I asked Titanium Goat and they said around 5 degrees. He was a little hesitant at that. Silk liners add 8 or 9 degrees but dont offer the protective shell. If I were using a tarp I'd go with a lightweight Bivy. If I felt I needed to increase the warmth of the bag I wouldcarry the silk liner as well.

Total weght of the two together is 11 or 12 oz and will give you around 0 degrees rating, added protection and lots of sleeping arrangement alternatives.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html

For clarification, 0 degrees when combined with your bag. :)

Whitefish
04-05-2007, 01:37
Austexs, that link you provided seemed extremely lightweight :)
Any other hikers used these bivy's. Cost seems right.

Egads
04-05-2007, 07:19
I have a both the Ti Goat bivy & a liner. These products are made for different uses.

The liner is helps keep your bag clean & also adds 3-4*. Don't count on 8-9* w/ a silk liner.

The bivy will also add 3-4* but it blocks wind & moisture. Don't count on the bivy to be waterproof. It will allow you to camp w/o shelter & protect you from heavy dew & misting. I can't speak for the BD bivy's performance.

I'd bring a winter bag &/or both ifor multiple days tarping in Feb.

As a matter for consideration; you will see temps below 15 deg starting in Feb. This weekend's (Apr 4-6, 2007) forecast in the GSMNP mountains is 5* w/ 28 mph wind gusts). Wind chill on Mt Mitchell was -30 this AM.

Egads

vipahman
04-05-2007, 10:39
The bivy is windproof and waterproof. The liner is not. That should answer it.

Whitefish
04-05-2007, 13:15
Clarification when I write good pad I mean B.A. insulated, if that factors in any advice sent me way- thanks all

canoehead
04-05-2007, 13:18
bivy........................

middle to middle
04-05-2007, 13:27
I used to travel ultra light and shivered through too many nights. Getter warmer than colder.

Moon Monster
04-05-2007, 13:42
The liner is helps keep your bag clean & also adds 3-4*. Don't count on 8-9* w/ a silk liner.

I agree. Plan on being conservative about the warmth of silk liners until you have personal experience with a particular bag combo. I find mine to be only of nominal help, but it does indeed help keep the bag cleaner.