PDA

View Full Version : escape from philly 2 starring matthewski

mweinstone
04-05-2007, 09:30
gary and his dog pepper are picking up the trail to katahdin from wind gap pa this egg day. ill be hiking with him sat and sun. looking for ride from phila to wind gap pa friday or sat. thats tommorow! wanna come with? good hiking and great fun. all welcome.

mweinstone
04-05-2007, 09:31
the energizer bunny will be delivering gary and pepper to the trail in wind gap after he stashes his car there. thanx bunny!

mweinstone
04-05-2007, 11:29
i may not have a signal tonight. call 2156680898 .hike on trash.

mweinstone
04-05-2007, 14:44
anyone know how to get to wind gap pa by bus? greyhound dosnt seem to stop there. nor in deleware gap village if you can belive it.

Toolshed
04-05-2007, 15:28
I don't think a major bus stops in Wind Gap. (I can see the gap in the distance from my house, but no major bus stops :) )
Go to Lanta links below for Lehigh Valley Service.
No Sunday service - How would you get to the LV?

https://lantabus-pa.gov/schedules/s/weekdays.php
https://lantabus-pa.gov/schedules/s/map.htm
https://lantabus-pa.gov/schedules/s/saturdays.php

rafe
04-05-2007, 16:19
anyone know how to get to wind gap pa by bus? greyhound dosnt seem to stop there. nor in deleware gap village if you can belive it.

I believe Martz Trailways goes to DWG. There is a bus terminal in DWG, right down the hill (and about 100 yds up the hill on the other side) from the church hostel.

mweinstone
04-05-2007, 17:20
do you think i should take a bus to bethlehem and then one to wind gap? do you know if its the best way? thank you for this. its about an hour and a half to the gap from bethlehem. whats lv?

Toolshed
04-05-2007, 20:32
sorry. LV~Lehigh Valley - You live in Delaware Valley, we live in Lehigh Valley, though technically, I live way above the valley on a hill. Easton is actually at the confluence of the Delaware and Lehigh rivers, so it is in both.

WG is only about 20-25 minutes drive time from Bethelehem Proper. But I honestly don't know how to take public trans get from Philly to Bthlm or from Bthlm to WG. I could easily get to Charing Cross from Hammersmith (well not that easily), or Munich to fulda on the IC, but I don't take trams, rails busses or tube here in the states.
when are you expected in Bthlm?

mweinstone
04-05-2007, 22:44
ive been to dwg but it seems nowadays there aint no bus from philly direct. it must be so hard to get to wind gap. i gotta take a bus to bethlehem and a bus to dwg and a shuttle to wind gap. then im walkin to dwg and gonna have to take two busses to get bact to philly. sucks. cant decide.might hitch.

mweinstone
04-05-2007, 22:48
gonna call john at pack shack tommorow morn and see what he thinks. ill do what he says.used to be easy to bus places. they changed alot of flagstops to other smaller carriers me thinks.

camojack
04-06-2007, 00:40
gonna call john at pack shack tommorow morn and see what he thinks. ill do what he says.used to be easy to bus places. they changed alot of flagstops to other smaller carriers me thinks.

...probably parking in Little Gap, going up to do some trail maintenance. If you can get out to the Philly 'burbs, there's a public transportation terminal about a mile from "La Casa de Camo".
(Gulph Mills Station)

StarLyte
04-06-2007, 05:28
...probably parking in Little Gap, going up to do some trail maintenance. If you can get out to the Philly 'burbs, there's a public transportation terminal about a mile from "La Casa de Camo".
(Gulph Mills Station)

Would that be via CamoHarley or Camobile? :D

emerald
04-06-2007, 07:03
For a listing of Martz Transportation terminals and phone numbers, check out the link below. I don't know whether or not any of the routes connecting these locations would include PA 33 or pass through Wind Gap.

I gave away my Penn DOT map to a lost motorist recently and still have yet to replace it. I don't know why, but Pennsylvania doesn't have our map online for download as do some other states. At least I haven't located it.

I thought it might be good fun to link it as The Yellow-blazer's Guide to The A.T. in Pennsylvania for hikers who can't deal with our rocks!:rolleyes: :D

http://www.martztrailways.com/terminals.asp

camojack
04-06-2007, 07:41
Would that be via CamoHarley or Camobile? :D

...I just got off the phone with the guy running the trail maintenance trip, and he said there's sneaux on the ground up thataway.

Consequently, the Harley shall remain in the garage... :mad:

mweinstone
04-06-2007, 09:00
snow is part of the universe. leave it alone. keep hiking. dont even look at my snow.in fact,..get down and gimmy 50.

mweinstone
04-06-2007, 09:03
when trashing, snow stops all work. what will you do maintenancewise in snow? just bramble? clear waterbars? what?

mweinstone
04-06-2007, 09:04
or maby your building a new sissyhouse, i mean shelter. (arnold swarzennagers voice)

camojack
04-06-2007, 10:01
when trashing, snow stops all work. what will you do maintenancewise in snow? just bramble? clear waterbars? what?

There'll be plenty of stuff to clear off of the trail, I have no doubt. :cool:

Mother's Finest
04-06-2007, 10:13
You are on your own Snake.
the Brain does not have any gas for this one....
enjoy the weekend
peace
mf

mweinstone
04-06-2007, 13:28
thanks brain. martz bus leaves each day, weekends and easter too, from rt 1 in stroudsburg to philly twice a day. 805am and 510pm. trip is 15 clams and 2hours 50 min. sleeping in cammo jacks yard tonight then to little gap lot by 9 am sat and i will ask energyser bunny or gary and pepper to pick me up and take me and gary and pepper to wind gap. or ill convince them to start at little gap . pouring cement over plan,.........now.

mweinstone
04-06-2007, 13:46
cammo jack, looks like the el to 69th st and the 100 bus to gulf mills. ready to launch at the drop of a cammo hat.unless you want a whiskey bobefest, ill just sneek in around bed time.

emerald
04-06-2007, 14:35
Have yourself yet another awesome A.T. journey! I'll be looking forward to the next episode of Escape from Philly starring matthewski.

Before long, we'll all figure out how to get around in PA inexpensively and may end up creating a demand for direct routes to the A.T. if we keep after it.

mweinstone
04-07-2007, 05:20
takeing 620 am 2 bus to 13th and market. takeing 650am 125 bus to gulf mills. takeing cammo jack to little gap parking lot. takeing at to wind gap. to h2o gap. and back.

mweinstone
04-08-2007, 19:34
wind gap/ a crack in time. is my hair allright? im not hiking if its not.

mweinstone
04-08-2007, 19:40
the team of matthewski ,gary and pepper stop to hydrate. reunited again. and perfect weather. who does not want to sleep with the dog?! who!? ahh dog heaters. i came up with a line of bags for the hiker and his dog. it hase a half moon shape added onto the bag at the foot end for doggy to sleep at your feet. good idea?

emerald
04-08-2007, 19:44
wind gap/ a crack in time. is my hair allright? im not hiking if its not.

Loved it. You got the caption right on too!

mweinstone
04-08-2007, 19:51
garys famouse cookpot hes had since he was a scout. hes 51. and its not really his. his friend was in girlscouts and quit and gave it to him. its been a wonderful ride. him and his pot. and heres pepper who ate some poison food and it scared gary so much that the poor fellas been getting only human food for two weeks. gary knows he must switch back to dogfood now. two weeks of our crap is all a healthy organism can handle. fricken recall.

mweinstone
04-08-2007, 20:01
they do everything together. we found a stray dog roming saturday near leroy smith shelter. a large white with black spots, long haired, brittny retrever with blue collar and tag.spotted again in same area by another hiker this am. dog was attacked in night by unknown animals and seen today with bloddy tip of tail. freindly but paniced, i just couldnt grab him. i peted him but he bolted. if you know anything , please help this dog. he has one or two nights left. hes roaming between leroy smith shelter and points south. beautiful animal. horrible tragity. bummed us out alot what with pepper haveing gotten some bad food and unable to trust brand names. seems like we also must report a burnned freash cat behind the shelter a few feet.the hair on the end of the tail was the only unburnned part letting us know the poor soul was light and swung. i pitty the children who do this.

mweinstone
04-08-2007, 20:03
was awakened 4 am by dog fighting for its life off in the knight. the attacking animal sounded multipul. cyotes? very hard to listen to. went on for ten minuts.

mweinstone
04-08-2007, 20:18
thanks cammo jack for a great talk on the ride up. met some of your trail crew friends from the deleware vally chapter of amc and liked them. good honest trailys. also met the energizer bunney(betty) and hubby pete who helped this thing happen and made plans with betty to do magic together. shes hip to opening a hostle(4 miles from trail) and we think her hubby wouldnt mind. we should encourage them.the most wonderful trail angles in the north. and finnaly id like to thank the lone marine hikeing the trail for the first time. obviously just back, trying to put crap back in his head thats not blood and guts. walked a mile with this soul and belive his kind are the hope of future hikeing years. that not only his defense of this country is honerable, but his affection for our trail. he walked 35 miles since yesterday morn. hes got alot to walk off. and when we clean and maintain the trail, we do it for those to use as a healing place. and god knows that marine was being healed. as are we all on our walks.
burned all scarwood and 13 stumps from shelter area.

mweinstone
04-08-2007, 20:23
ps. entire shelter area smelled strongly of sulfer apon arrival. assumed ritual burnning of housecat included a ring of sulfer to call the devil up. must conclude these folks are organized and use internet to set up and buy chemicals and adopt cats,... they can be caught is my point. its the 5th time ive seen it in my state on trail.

camojack
04-09-2007, 00:46
thanks cammo jack for a great talk on the ride up. met some of your trail crew friends from the deleware vally chapter of amc and liked them. good honest trailys.

...I was going up there anyway, on an important mission. The AMC gets a bad rap sometimes, but they do a lot of good for the Trail. It was good to have someone to converse with on the way up. See you at Trail Daze, if not before then...
:banana

mweinstone
04-09-2007, 08:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szndjP6iM1E

Mother's Finest
04-09-2007, 17:30
brother the comments about the stray and the burned cat have me upset...

peace
mf

mweinstone
04-10-2007, 00:03
dont be. my sons friend at school jumped off the ben franklin brige saturday nite into the deleware and is presumed dead. the whole school is upset and so am i. j.t. was a good kid and didnt do drugs. it was hard to come back and find out. the dog has me upset still too. prayers.