PDA

View Full Version : Spring comes to Maine

moxie
04-05-2007, 09:33
:-? Well, global warming mey be here but don't tell anyone here in the pine tree State. I can't get out any door in my house this morning because of deep snow piled up against the doors., It is April 5th and we have 15 inches of fresh snow in central Maine and over 2 feet in the mountain. All schools, businesses and most government offices are closed, even the Brunswick Naval Air Station is closed until noon and I have never heard of an air base announcing it was closed. Don't expect this thread to go ver far but I just wanted to share what spring in Maine and Easter weekend is affected by global warming. Well southbounders, expect some exciting cold river fords when all this decides to melt.

Slosteppin
04-06-2007, 19:55
So I'm going XC skiing tomorrow.

We didn't get quite as much here in NW lower Michigan, only about 12 inches. Lots of silly (and tragic) accidents on the roads.
It is even worse after a week of really warm weather.
All of our snow was gone...

When I get off the computer I need to call our son in Topsham, ME to see how he is doing.

Slosteppin

weary
04-06-2007, 20:44
We who live on midcoast Maine woke up to a FOOT OF wet snow -- AND NO ELECTRICITY. It's the deepest snow of the season, but melting quickly.

The weight cut off my power for 14 hours, knocked down my cable and tv wires, and blocked the guy who plows my driveway.

The snow plower eventually figured out that the downed wire was electrically harmless and propped it on a nearby tree limb so he could get on with his plowing.

My email is still not back, but otherwise internet access buzzes on.

BTW. The caps don't mean I'm shouting -- only that some designer thought it wise to put the cap switch next the most used letter in the alphabet, "a", and I have both old and clumsy fingers.

BTW II. Based on my experience in '93 and on other excursions into the south, I've concluded that spring on the high ridges of the southern Applalachians is virtually identical to the spring weather along coastal Maine. That means that wise people should expect a great variety of weather in North Carolina and Georgia through April -- some of which may not be to their liking.

Weary

Cookerhiker
04-06-2007, 21:07
Nothing like gloppy wet snow. All we're having is snow showers.

But what comes sticks. Now get this: about 700 miles south of you but 2,100 feet higher, we in Frostburg are experiencing colder temps than you. Per TWC just now:

Phippsburg Currently 31 Forecast low 21 tomorrow high 35 low 24
Frostburg Currently 30 Forecast low 22 tomorrow high 28 low 22

One week ago, I cycled on our new bikeway the Great Allegheny Passage in sunshine with 50s temps. Monday when I returned from my section in SNP, it was 74. Now it's back to winter.

But I love it here.:o

emerald
04-06-2007, 23:43
But I love it here.:o

I always thought that pretty country. One of my favorite drives always has been what's now I68 from near where you live to Morgantown. On a clear, sunny day, it's gorgeous, but when the weather gets ugly, driving there can be treacherous. The roadway can go from wet to ice as the elevation changes quicker than quick.

My other favorite drive is I95 through Maine with a full moon and no traffic or moose on the roadway!;)

TomScanlan
04-07-2007, 00:01
We should get some light snow in NY through harriman state park and fun freezing nights. Can't wait! Headed out there in the morning 'til late sunday or monday.

TJ aka Teej
04-07-2007, 08:54
A month or so ago there was no snow at all in the foreground, and just the upper slopes of the mountain had snow.
www.katahdincam.com

DavidNH
04-07-2007, 08:57
I hear that yet another storm is to come Wednesday night into THursday of the week after easter. So I am thinking.. Baxter State park..must be at least 2 feet there now...more to come... eventually some rain to melt it all..

Gosh this is one more reason NOT to south bound in June. Honestly why would anyone want to?

Last year I was told it rained 20 out of 30 days or so in June...just imagine the mud!

I'll admit this much to our southern friends..when it comes to Spring.. you guys get the real deal. We just get mud season and bug season!

David

rafe
04-07-2007, 09:06
I'll admit this much to our southern friends..when it comes to Spring.. you guys get the real deal. We just get mud season and bug season!

Historically, it's not uncommon for nobos to walk thru plenty of rain, mist and mud in the Smokies. Lack of rain can be as bad as too much. The southeast USA is in a period of relative (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/s2213.htm) drought (http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html) at the moment.

moxie
04-07-2007, 09:09
It is quite intresting to be in the 100 mile wilderness in late August or September and see the elaborate rope systems maintainrers or southbounders have set up to ford or cross what is then an almost dry stream bed. You hardly get your boots wet in places that are raging whitewater torrents in May and June, That is what weather is like in Maine, if you don't like it wait a minute, it will change. Maine is also a place with definite well defined seasons. The only problem is they often linger after their time has past, like winter this year. Oh well, Easter Sunday is tomorrow and 65,000 Maine residents are still without power. Two feet of fresh snow in my yard and I have to go to the bait store to purchase worms for the starving robins.
:welcome To Maine, and it's snowing again today.

emerald
04-07-2007, 12:00
:welcome To Maine, and it's snowing again today.

I've heard Maine is the way life should be. Are you saying it isn't so?

mudhead
04-07-2007, 12:21
It is the way life should be for those who come for the three weeks that are decent in the summer.

Every place has it's pluses and minuses.

Marketing slogan...

The robins here were trying to hunt worms in the driveway yesterday.

Snowing at noon.

Mother Nature must have decided that I needed my humility lesson for the month. I hope the lesson was learned.

I guess I'm done bitching about the wind for awhile!

moxie
04-07-2007, 12:27
I've heard Maine is the way life should be. Are you saying it isn't so?
I love the changing weather, have both tons of backpacking gear and a generator so being without power for a week or so is no problem. Two weeks ago we were hiking in Camden, today we are snowshoeing. You just have to adapt to what nature sends you that day. No tornadoes, no earthquakes, no tidal waves to speak of, Maine is exactly the way life should be. Ski, fish, hunt, hike, swim, kayak and lots of lobsters, fiddleheads and potatoes to eat. Snow and high water are part of the way life should be. Having to purchase worms for the early arriving robins is just a minor glitch.
Perhaps in a day or so we may even see:sun

emerald
04-07-2007, 12:58
Maine is exactly the way life should be. Ski, fish, hunt, hike, swim, kayak and lots of lobsters, fiddleheads and potatoes to eat. Snow and high water are part of the way life should be. Having to purchase worms for the early arriving robins is just a minor glitch.

If the majority of Mainers have an attitude like yours expressed above, it's no wonder so many 2000 milers call Maine home. I've sometimes wondered whether Maine has more 2000 milers than other A.T. states as a percentage of its total population.

I may be correct in observing you do seem to outpost everyone else. Georgia may have more posters and a higher post count, but it has a larger population.

It always seemed to me Mainers lived a little closer to the land and it's non-human inhabitants and seemed to appreciate them more.

woodsy
04-07-2007, 13:17
[quote=Shades of Gray

It always seemed to me Mainers lived a little closer to the land and it's non-human inhabitants and seemed to appreciate them more.[/quote]

I resemble that remark:)

Mr. Clean
04-07-2007, 13:25
This storm hit us worse than the ice storm several years ago, and now they say another 12" coming in on Wednesday. Luckily we didn't lose power, but iffn we did, we'd just cook supper on the woodstove.

Guess I'll have to re-plan trail maintenance for another few weeks away. Deep snow this time of the year is like snowshoeing in mashed potatoes!

The Scribe
04-07-2007, 13:32
It always seemed to me Mainers lived a little closer to the land and it's non-human inhabitants and seemed to appreciate them more.

AYUH brother.
The Way Life Should Be

weary
04-07-2007, 16:33
I love the changing weather, have both tons of backpacking gear and a generator so being without power for a week or so is no problem. Two weeks ago we were hiking in Camden, today we are snowshoeing. You just have to adapt to what nature sends you that day. No tornadoes, no earthquakes, no tidal waves to speak of, Maine is exactly the way life should be. Ski, fish, hunt, hike, swim, kayak and lots of lobsters, fiddleheads and potatoes to eat. Snow and high water are part of the way life should be. Having to purchase worms for the early arriving robins is just a minor glitch.
We all look forward to these late snows, a reminder of wonderful winters to come. Besides late snows are known hereabouts as "the poor man's fertilizer." Under the cover of this week's snow the grass of spring is turning green, ready to burst forth. I can hardly wait. Why in a week or two I can start mowing my two acres again. Well, if I can get the machine started, I put it away early last October after it failed to start.

The big decision. Whether to gamble that it got well over the winter, or take it to the repair shop now. I think I'll wait. I've gotten better over the winter. Maybe my mower did the same. Maybe. Just maybe.

Weary

jimthehiker2006
04-07-2007, 17:10
I have some friends that are life long Mainers and the say in Maine you have 9 mos of winter and 3 mos of rough sleddding. They live in Gorham and got 12" but Beals Ice cream opened as scheduled.

Jim

mudhead
04-07-2007, 17:39
You guys that like snow are welcome to my share. Moxie, do you know what lobster like to eat? Like chickens...

Bring on the heat index!

weary
04-08-2007, 08:51
I got up at 5 this morning so I could attend sunrise services. As close readers know, I'm a skeptic. But the church sits on the banks of the Kennebec River estuary about a mile from my house. It has to rank among the prettiest sites for a church anywhere. WE stood for a half hour and watched the sun peak over the horizon right on schedule. It's never late, never early. Some think that shows the wisdom of God. I like to attribute it to the laws of physics.,

While others were singing and praying, I enjoyed the sun gradually lighting the islands in the river. Early migrating birds set up a chorus of songs, probably praying to their Gods to melt the snow from this weeks early spring storm so they could get something to eat.

A great blue heron flew by and no one seemed to notice. I was tempted to shout. "look!" but decided against it.

Everyone later crowded into a new hall that was finished a few weeks ago for pancakes and real maple syrup. That was another reason for my attendance. I wanted to see the inside of the new building and how it fit with the 1802 church. The designers did well -- on everything except the electric circuits. The pancake grills kept blowing the circuit breakers.

Oh well. Nothings perfect.

Weary

rafe
04-08-2007, 08:56
Moxie, do you know what lobster like to eat? Like chickens...

Lobsters are scavengers. They eat garbage. That's why they're one of the few marine species that aren't particularly endangered.

insure ants
04-08-2007, 14:50
It is the way life should be for those who come for the three weeks that are decent in the summer.

I assume you mean after black fly season. Meaning in August.

emerald
04-08-2007, 15:01
Why in a week or two I can start mowing my two acres again. Well, if I can get the machine started, I put it away early last October after it failed to start.

The big decision. Whether to gamble that it got well over the winter, or take it to the repair shop now. I think I'll wait. I've gotten better over the winter. Maybe my mower did the same. Maybe. Just maybe.

Weary

You should have asked Jester2000 to start your mower for you on March 17. I've heard the luck of the Irish peaks on St. Paddy's Day, but it's probably less now. Maybe Five Leafed Clover could get it started?;)

woodsy
04-12-2007, 16:26
Another Dump of snow is here, NOBO's slow down!Or else y'all be treading snow when you hit NH. Looking for up to 1'0" of snow overnight. This is becoming the never ending winter of 07.LOL:D

Moxie00
04-12-2007, 16:54
Ayah Woodsy, April 12th and another 6 to 12 inches before tomorrow. On Sunday night we expect another major snow storm. I think the ski areas in Maine should plan to open on New Years Day and close after a big fireworks display on the 4th of July. I may take my April vacation in Alaska so I can get some golf in. I don't think we will have any spring in Maine this year. Just looked out the window and we have whiteout conditions. It's part of the adventure of living here. Gotta love it. Yesterday I was on my motor scooter and tonight I'll take out my snowmobile.

woodsy
04-12-2007, 17:00
WHITE-OUT it is , Get the SLED out! Or snowshoes, Or skis. We ain't goin far on wheels tonight!

mudhead
04-13-2007, 06:29
How's the weather inland? Sleet/slush on the coast. Glad it will be warm today. Had sun the other day! Almost a "normal" high!

Bwwwaaahh!

Mother Nature is really tormenting me this year. Last year we had wood frogs on the 9th, and peepers on the 13th. Gonna be awhile.

woodsy
04-13-2007, 07:38
ENOUGH ALREADY!
All snow inland, bout 8-10". Another big east coast storm brewing:rolleyes:
Heard the Woodcock squaking yesterday morn, this aughta shut him up for awhile.

superman
04-13-2007, 08:00
Winter, Pat from Maine and I left NH when the temps were near zero with 6-8 inches of snow on the ground. We got to GA when the temp was near 90. Winter still had her winter coat on and Pat and I were using our G4 packs with our thermarests against our backs. We enjoyed re-hiking the Springer to Neels Gap section but the heat was not good for us. We visited the AT at many trail crossings and trail towns on our way home. It was a great vacation but by the time we got home there was 4-6 inches of snow in my driveway. I'm thinking that we're just going to go straight to summer and just skip spring this year. I keep putting my snowblower away only to have to get it back out for more snow. Pat and I especially like to hike in the spring and the fall. I have 4 or 5 external frame packs that I haven't used in years that I may get ready for hiking again.

mudhead
04-13-2007, 11:04
My resident tail-wagging woodcock must have bugged out to the golf course a couple days ago. Did watch a robin pull a worm in the sleet last PM. I hope everyone tends to their "drainage," as we are gonna get it Monday.

Except for Woodsy. He gets all snow. He likes snow.

Moxie00
04-14-2007, 14:11
It's Saturday afternoon and I just shoveled 12 inches of snow off the back patio to make room for what we are getting tomorrow. Sooner or later one of these storm has to have some rain in it. Rain on the coast of Maine but here I literally have to shovel out my first floor windows to see out. Tomorrow is supposed to one of thr bigger storms of the year. I am flying to tropical Chicago next week for some fun in the sun. I love Maine and nothern New England but it is time we shared winter with some other part of the country. Tomorrow may be the first year the Boston Marathon is run in snowshoes.

woodsy
04-15-2007, 05:38
Tis the season, this from the weather channel

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 6 PM EDT MONDAY.
EXPECT A TOTAL OF 10 TO 18 INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS OF WESTERN MAINE AND NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE... WITH 6 TO 12 INCHES IN THE FOOTHILLS. SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON...AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES TONIGHT. SNOW WILL MIX WITH RAIN AT TIMES MONDAY. EXPECT UP TO TWO FEET OF SNOW IN ELEVATIONS OVER 1500 FEET.

IN ADDITION...WINDS WILL GUST TO 40 MPH TONIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING. THE COMBINATION OF A HEAVY WET SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS WILL CAUSE SIGNIFICANT POWER OUTAGES.

Hiking? Whats that?:rolleyes:

ozt42
04-15-2007, 06:16
Good thing I put off my plans for a little tune up hike up Goose eye this week...

woodsy
04-15-2007, 06:27
No kidding , I've been putting off a tune up hike for about a month now and am getting waaaay out of tune. I had been planning a trek into Little Bigelow via the tubbs shelter but..........

boarstone
04-15-2007, 07:17
Here in S. Piscataquis county the snow from last week is mostly settled out and is on a melt down, unfortunately later this PM and evening we're going to be in for heavy wet snow/rain/sleet and high winds( gusts to 50mph) with upwoards of an additonal 2' more of snow for the mts. I'm at the foothills of'em....we're in the 6-12" range....:( ..rain dance anyone?
does "blowdowns" ring a bell? I feel sorry for the trail maintainers this Spring, if we can ever call it that. The Pleasant river is pretty much free of ice and flowing smoothly all the way to the Penobscot over in Howland. In it's upper reaches of the AT it's breaking up however very slowly and flooding is a major concern here, I only have 2 sets of railroad tracks between me and the river!...thankfully a higher elevation than most below/above me...

superman
04-15-2007, 07:24
It started snowing here at 7:00 AM this morning. I'm thinking we are going to go straight from winter to summer....no spring....no black flies.

hobbit
04-15-2007, 07:27
another 2 feet of snow at the loaf!!!! hell yes!
this year can't get any better
we've had 5 feet 5 FEET in april alone!!!!
the best stuff ever too real good snow
and they still are going to close next weekend with 7 feet of snow in april...

emerald
04-15-2007, 07:54
I'm thinking we are going to go straight from winter to summer....no spring....no black flies.

That's nothing more than wishful thinking about the black flies.:rolleyes: :-? When they become active this year, they'll be hyperactive, trying to make up for lost time!:eek:

emerald
04-15-2007, 07:59
Does anyone have numbers on total snowfall in Maine and how does this year's accumulation compare to record years past?

What location in Maine gets the most snow?

Has ice out occurred on the Stillwater River and Penobscot?

Lone Wolf
04-15-2007, 08:02
Jay Peak in northern Vermont has gotten 393 inches of snow this year. 350 is about the average.

emerald
04-15-2007, 08:22
Jay Peak in northern Vermont has gotten 393 inches of snow this year. 350 is about the average.

Just now visited their website which reports the total you quoted, 393 inches or 32.75 feet. That's a lot of snow!

woodsy
04-15-2007, 08:25
Sugarloaf is reporting 170" to date .
Most of the rivers and streams are open now
The location in ME that gets the most snow is where it snows
heaviest(varies):-? ok that was a wisecrack!

emerald
04-15-2007, 08:42
I didn't pose my question well. I wondered what Maine reporting station most often reports the greatest snowfall. I wouldn't be surprised if the greatest snowfall often goes unreported and no doubt that location varies from one year to the next.

Thanks for the information.

woodsy
04-15-2007, 09:05
Sugarloaf "claims" to have an average annual snowfall of 260". This figure likely comes from the leeward side of the summit, known as the BACKSIDE to skiers.

superman
04-15-2007, 10:10
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif Dubious black fly forecast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=352682#post352682)
I'm thinking we are going to go straight from winter to summer....no spring....no black flies.

That's nothing more than wishful thinking about the black flies.:rolleyes: :-? When they become active this year, they'll be hyperactive, trying to make up for lost time!:eek:

OK, it may very well be wishful thinking.
Since it started snowing this morning it has teetered between snow and rain a number of times. It is not accumulating so far. I'm predicting that "IT WILL BE ONE BIG WASH OUT OF A RAINSTORM." I suppose you'll call that wishful thinking too. It's not easy making up these potentially factual events.

The Scribe
04-15-2007, 10:20
Good thing I put off my plans for a little tune up hike up Goose eye this week...

Looking more and more like my tuneup hike will be to the Bold Coast late in the week. Thursday/Friday maybe.

The 10 mile loop in the Preservation land above Cutler. Long haul, but it beats sitting around watching the snow melt. Got some primitive camping sites there.

We should get mostly rain here (15 miles northwest of Portland) although the local weather put is close to the 2-4/6-10 snow line.

Tired of it.

TIDE-HSV
04-15-2007, 10:24
we're having wet snow showers right now on Monte Sano in Huntsville, AL...

mudhead
04-15-2007, 10:55
Tired of it.

That do about cover it.

mudhead
04-15-2007, 10:59
Is it May yet?

Lone Wolf
04-15-2007, 11:00
global cooling is a bitch

woodsy
04-15-2007, 14:30
Cause the Beaver are emerging from under the ice and chopping down fresh food;)in the form of trees. Gotta love fresh bark, especially Poplar.:D

mudhead
04-15-2007, 17:26
Good roughage. Yeehaw!

All these news types crack me up. Have food and water... prepare...

Its gonna be vile, but seems like you ought to have a pile of stuff just on general principles.

You'd think the Weather Channel had never seen a storm.

I am glad, however, that this is April, and not the dead of winter.

Hey Woodsy, how many flashlights you got scattered around?

superman
04-15-2007, 18:03
It's snowing like hell. So much for my rain theory. The wind is also coming up now.

Chomp09
04-15-2007, 18:44
Just came back grom a weekend on Bemis... Well over three feet of snow in many areas and it was snowing heavily when we got back to the height of land earlier today. Don't put away your snowshoes just yet!

woodsy
04-16-2007, 08:02
Just came back grom a weekend on Bemis... Well over three feet of snow in many areas and it was snowing heavily when we got back to the height of land earlier today. Don't put away your snowshoes just yet!

Thanks for the trail update Dave.
And now for todays WORD: FLOODING

moxie
04-16-2007, 10:51
Well my generator is full of gas, we are getting very cold heavy rain but the heavy snow pack isn't giving up. I boiled a box of spaghetti, put A1 sauce on it to color in brown, and put it out for the robins that can't find any worms. Hope it will fools them and keep them going until the snow melts around July 4th. Odds are good, that flooding rivers and high tide flooding will not teach the tableland of Katahdin. If there wasn't so much snow we could all fidnd sefety there. In the meantime we will become boat people.

Moxie00
04-16-2007, 12:09
At noon today the Mount Washington Weather Station reported a wind speed of 151mph. Wish someone was on Katahdin to find out what it is there. WHAT A SPRING!!!!!!

superman
04-18-2007, 13:56
the electric power just came back on. It's been out since Sinday.

Moxie00
04-18-2007, 14:49
I got out of Maine for a few days. Finally found where spring is hiding. I'm in tropical Chicago. Drove in whiteout blinding snowstorm to get to the Manchester Airport. All rivers were way over their banks, Floods everywhere and still two or three feet of snow on the ground at home. In Chicago it was 60 degrees when I landed, leaves on trees, green grass and apple blossoms. Well back home Saturday, This is one of the strangest springs Maine has ever had, please Spring, come home.....

Penne
05-20-2007, 11:12
I'm supposed to be starting my thru on June 1st at BSP, but I've heard rumors that they won't be open then. Any one in the area want to give me a weather update? If the park doesn't open on the 1st what effect does that have on my reservations? I'm supposed to be staying there the nights of the 1st and 2nd. If anyone can tell me what to expect with my reservations that would be great.