PDA

View Full Version : loose change

gypsy
04-05-2007, 16:36
I'm just curious... why do people not want to carry their change when they leave a town? I work at a convenience store in Damascus, and every year we get hikers that come through and either buy stupid crap with their quarters and such just to get rid of the change, or they just leave it in the take-a-penny tray. I hear the same stuff every time--" I've got to get rid of my change... it's too much weight." I'm thinkin'... dude, that's money for a possible future coke machine that won't take dollar bills!!!!! What is the weird obsession with this weight thing? I understand not wanting to carry pennies, but quarters and the like? Come on! Well, it's good for us employees, I guess. Really though, someone please enlighten me! I never even thought about the weight involved in carrying change when I hiked. In fact, I never even really thought about weight for that matter:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
04-05-2007, 16:38
I'm just curious... why do people not want to carry their change when they leave a town? I work at a convenience store in Damascus, and every year we get hikers that come through and either buy stupid crap with their quarters and such just to get rid of the change, or they just leave it in the take-a-penny tray. I hear the same stuff every time--" I've got to get rid of my change... it's too much weight." I'm thinkin'... dude, that's money for a possible future coke machine that won't take dollar bills!!!!! What is the weird obsession with this weight thing? I understand not wanting to carry pennies, but quarters and the like? Come on! Well, it's good for us employees, I guess. Really though, someone please enlighten me! I never even thought about the weight involved in carrying change when I hiked. In fact, I never even really thought about weight for that matter:rolleyes:

cuz you live with me.:)

Old Grouse
04-05-2007, 16:40
Shouldn't have to break it to you that convenience stores attract weirdly obsessive people. Present company excluded, of course.

jlb2012
04-05-2007, 16:45
If there is a tip jar I find it just as much value to me to dump the change into the tip jar than it is to have to keep track of the change while hiking - builds good will in the town and saves me work. WRT coke machines - it seems rare these days to find one that does not take dollar bills - soon they will probably have one that takes debit cards ;)

Ender
I've never understood it either... I always keep my change in case I find a soda machine.

gypsy
Shouldn't have to break it to you that convenience stores attract weirdly obsessive people. Present company excluded, of course.
you aren't kiddin'!!!

rockrat
04-05-2007, 16:52
I bought smoke bombs with my change last night after eating at Cowboys in Damascus. I still haven't decided what I'm gonna do with them though. I'll probably scare bikers on the Creeper though.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-05-2007, 16:55
Good to see Gypsy. BTW, could you email me a pic of LW's Harley :D?

ed bell
04-05-2007, 17:23
Before cell phones came around, my buddy would always have five dollars in quarters in his pack in case of a long distance phone emergency. I doubt he does that anymore, but he is far from a gram weenie.:)

mweinstone
04-05-2007, 17:31
i give it to the homeless guy with the shopping cart who hangs out on the bridge mumbleing " il tell you who did it..!" then when you put it in his hand he goes normal for a sentence and a half. then back to," ill tell yo who shot kennedy...!"

jesse
04-05-2007, 17:49
I hold onto mine. I walk with my head down looking for pennies.

Footslogger
04-05-2007, 17:51
I've never understood it either... I always keep my change in case I find a soda machine.

===================================

There ya go !!

Always "donated" the small stuff but held onto a few quarters, especially in MD and PA. Lots of machines with cold Gatorade and Soda !!

'Slogger

Dances with Mice
04-05-2007, 18:17
i give it to the homeless guy with the shopping cart who hangs out on the bridge mumbleing " il tell you who did it..!" then when you put it in his hand he goes normal for a sentence and a half. then back to," ill tell yo who shot kennedy...!"Did I ever say "Thank you!"?

Moxie00
04-05-2007, 21:37
I can't imagine being in the trail without change. Only once was I without change. A very annoying trail person, (he didn't last long enough to be called a hiker) almost demanded everyones cahnge so he could go to town and do his laundry. Even after being told any store or laundromat in town would have chenge he almost cried for fear he wouldn't be able to do his laundry so we all gave in. Next day--PEN-MAR Park, big beautiful coke, pepsi, and candy machines. No one had any change, coke machines wouldn't take bills. I did the only good thing I could do, I asked every family having a picnic if they could give the annoying trail person a ride to a motel, Someone agreed, I told annoying person to take a day to rest, evaluate how he really felt bout long distance hiking. The rest of our group hiked on without the benefit of cold soda. Two days later the annoying bastard quit the trail. I learned a lesson---Never give up your change...:banana

hopefulhiker
04-05-2007, 21:40
I dump most of my change, saving a couple of quarters. It is the weight with me.. But then I have taken toilet paper out of the stalls too.. That is the real "mountain money".

fiddlehead
04-06-2007, 06:51
I don't carry pennies anymore. They hardly buy anything anyway.
I'd like to see them discontinued and everything rounded off to the nearest dime or even dollar.
Plus, i like to use the change to buy something i haven't tried before: some kind of candy usually.

Furlough
04-06-2007, 07:02
Good to see Gypsy. BTW, could you email me a pic of LW's Harley :D?

ROTFLMAO!!!! Oh Mrs FD you are bad. (That is if this has anything at all to do with the photoshop and gatorgump;) )

Furlough

Lone Wolf
04-06-2007, 07:05
ROTFLMAO!!!! Oh Mrs FD you are bad. (That is if this has anything at all to do with the photoshop and gatorgump;) )

Furlough

if gatorgump was a hot babe she could rub her bare ass all over my scooter.

Furlough
04-06-2007, 07:08
if gatorgump was a hot babe she could rub her bare ass all over my scooter.

LMAO so hard both sets of my cheeks are starting to hurt. You guys are making my day here in sunny downtown Baghdad.

Furlough

Wanderingson
04-06-2007, 07:11
I dump most of my change, saving a couple of quarters. It is the weight with me.. But then I have taken toilet paper out of the stalls too.. That is the real "mountain money".

I guess MS was the richest one on the trail last year eh?