PDA

View Full Version : Where are most northbounders mid-June?

kritter
04-06-2007, 09:38
I've revised my thru-hike plans and figured it'd be nicer to hike from mid trail up north with the majority of northbounders and find my way back to the center and finish south. I was going to do a southbound hike but my partner bailed on me, hiking alone seems too disimal. I'm headed out around June 13th just dont know where to go! Any suggestions?

oh i'm so excited! 2 months left:sun

emerald
04-06-2007, 09:58
You'll find many northbound long-distance hikers in the Keystone State of Pennsylvania in early June.:) One of the most convenient places to begin or end an A.T. hike in Pennsylvania supported by public transportation is Port Clinton. You'll find information on how to get to Port Clinton in A.T. Shuttles and Public Transportation (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATshuttleWEB_April_04_2007.pdf).

Early June is a good time to be in Pennsylvania. Our state flower, mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia) blooms then. I'd post a good photo, but I don't happen to know of one. Perhaps there's a good photo in WhiteBlaze's gallery someone will link for you.

After the mountain laurel blossoms drop, temperatures begin to creep up into the 90s here with increasing frequency and hikers need to be more concerned with hydration.

Johnny Swank
04-06-2007, 10:01
Just go southbound mid-June. You'll be right in with the rest of the southbounders, and will be around them for the rest of the trip if you so choose.

If hiking alone concerns you, I sure wouldn't do a flip-flop. You're less likely to hook up with anyone the second half of your trip.

emerald
04-06-2007, 10:13
I believe our thread starter should expect and need to be prepared to deal with blackflies until July, but I'd defer to native Mainers for reliable advice on that issue.;)

emerald
04-06-2007, 10:22
:-? If our thread-starter hikes north to Katahdin from Port Clinton, wouldn't she catch up with those southbounders when she returns to Port Clinton less the blackfly bites?:rolleyes: ;)

Besides such a hike might be more desirable, especially for an inexperienced hiker.

emerald
04-06-2007, 10:40
Kritter should you decide to hike northbound and then flip, there's one thing I want you to clearly understand. You're likely to have plenty of company, hear lots of great stories and get all kinds of wonderful advice, but there's a downside to that upside.

These hikers will be moving right along and you likely won't be able to keep up with them at least not at first.:( That might be discouraging, but it's not necessarily a bad thing, just something you should expect and accept.;) More will be behind them.:)

Kerosene
04-06-2007, 10:47
In early June 2005 I encountered over 100 NOBO thru-hikers during my section hike from Daleville south to Atkins, Virginia. I believe that this was the tail-end of the group, with many of the hikers having departed Springer sometime in April (although one young woman had completed 500 miles in only a month!).

emerald
04-06-2007, 11:10
I'm headed out around June 13th

Kritter's start date is +/- June 13th. Just a reminder to those who join the thread later today or this weekend.

emerald
04-06-2007, 11:27
Harpers Ferry wouldn't be a bad place to start and/or complete your hike, although it would be likely less expensive and less time consuming to travel to and/or from a location nearer your home in New York.

Is there somewhere in New York or New Jersey on the A.T. that has special significance for you? Maybe such a location would appeal to you as a place to complete your hike? The nearer your completion point to your home, the easier it may be to convince family or a friend to help with transportation.

Delaware Water Gap is yet another place with better access via public transportation.

I've participated in other threads similar to yours in the last year and will link them for you in another post I'll add later today. Maybe you will find some helpful information there.

emerald
04-06-2007, 11:48
The thread Hypothetically speaking ... (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16116) contains information that may be of interest to you, kritter. You might want to consider beginning your hike at Harper's Ferry and ending there with a northbound hike from Springer Mountain. Either way, northbound or southbound, that could be a good plan for you.:)

I'll wait for you to post again, so as to avoid putting up too much before you've had a chance to read it and also in order to provide information more finely tuned to your particular needs.

It's a day off for me today. I'll check back in later. Looking forward to your response.

Jester2000
04-06-2007, 19:00
Where are most north bounders in June? Actually, most of them are home, having quit the trail.

If you want to hang with those who remain, I too think Harpers Ferry might be good. But you know what might be better? Start at The Doyle Hotel in Duncannon. Have Trail Angel Mary slack you backwards into town for the first day so you can get yer hiking legs under ya (no need to climb up out of town if it's not necessary. . .).

That way, by the time those who are at Harpers Ferry on June 13th catch up to you, you'll be up to speed and won't need to push yourself physically to keep up. Also has the benefit of being slightly ahead, so you can let folks pass you and decide who you want to hang with.

huck
04-06-2007, 19:18
Im a lone hiker starting on june 9th from mt katahdin.I worry a bit about being lonely but i think a lot of hikers will be starting in that general time frame.Its kind of hard to flip flop .I think its better to start one way and continue on the same direction.Anyway good luck and i will see you on the trail.:)

Cookerhiker
04-06-2007, 21:12
I've revised my thru-hike plans and figured it'd be nicer to hike from mid trail up north with the majority of northbounders and find my way back to the center and finish south. I was going to do a southbound hike but my partner bailed on me, hiking alone seems too disimal. I'm headed out around June 13th just dont know where to go! Any suggestions?

oh i'm so excited! 2 months left:sun

Last year I did a one-man hiker feed at Gathland State Park in Maryland on June 12 and got a list of all the hikers I served - 17 thrus in all. Not bad for one day. So it's safe to say you'll meet lots of thrus if you leave around then.

freefall
04-06-2007, 21:31
I was around Duncannon June 13th. In the midst of plenty of hikers!

map man
04-10-2007, 23:31
Like people are saying, the median completing thru-hiker, if past history is any indication, will be between Harpers Ferry WV and Duncannon PA on June 13. If you start in this section you might want to start a good week's hike south of Duncannon, at least, in order to give your feet a chance to get broken in by the trail. The famous rocks of Pennsylvania are supposed to be at their worst between Duncannon and Delaware Water Gap. Otherwise, this section of the trail, Maryland and Pennsylvania, is supposed to be some of the least difficult hiking on the AT -- a good place to hike your way into shape without killing yourself.

Earl Grey
04-12-2007, 12:40
I will be starting at Harpers Ferry in mid May and going north then coming back in August? and going south.