PDA

View Full Version : We all scream for Ice Cream!

Askus3
04-06-2007, 18:26
At least all us folk in Warwick, NY. As most of you thru-hikers know, the AT crosses NY 17A at the top of a ridge east of Warwick. Just a tenth of a mile west of the AT xing of 17A, the Bellvale Creamery scoops ice cream and offers refreshments and water to many an AT thru-hiker. Anyway, some high schoolers in a Future Farmers of America project created a marketing plan for a new flavor of ice cream that will represent the people of Warwick. Well the town of Warwick teamed up with the ice cream stand and asked for names of a new ice cream flavor to represent the area and they whittled it down to five names.

1. Appalachian Pit Stop - named for the AT that comes thru the town and where many hikers take a pit stop to enjoy some ice cream. My guess is this name is a long shot to win, but you never know.

2. Apple Valley Crisp - named after the Apple Valley Festival that takes place here every first weekend in October annually and attracts over 10,000 visitors to Warwick to pick apples and enjoy the fruit. This is our premier town event

3. Black Dirt Blast - our farming region is noted for its onions and the rich soil of its black dirt farms. You hikers experience the black dirt farm as you go around one about 10 miles to the west of Warwick (closer to Unionville) when you are flirting with the NY/NJ border.

4. Warwick Whirl - I don't know the connection for this other than it has a nice sounding alliteration.

5. Wildcat Wildberry - The Wildcats are our High School Team name. So everything is purple and gold Wildcat. i don't know what ice cream could be purple and gold, but if they mix grape jelly with peanutbutter, HMMMMM.

Anyway, this thread has very little to do with hiking, but when you cross 17A and walk over for some ice cream at the Bellvale Creamery and you ask for Appalachian Pit Stop, they might wonder what you are talking about. I will keep you posted on what this new Warwick flavor is named and exactly what it is.

mudhead
04-06-2007, 18:42
never had apple crisp flavored ice cream. I would like to. But then, I have had nasty apple crisp with vanilla ice cream that I liked.

Giffords vanilla, you understand...

Jester2000
04-06-2007, 18:47
Anyway, this thread has very little to do with hiking. . .

A thread about ice cream has everything to do with hiking.

freefall
04-06-2007, 20:45
A thread about ice cream has everything to do with hiking.

Yes, yes it does!

A couple of hiker-ice cream pics:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/1/3/5/halfgallonchallenge2.jpg
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/1/3/5/halfgallonchallenge1.jpg

emerald
04-06-2007, 20:56
It's been years since I've transferred a half gallon to my midsection. Seems to me the biggest part of the challenge might keeping it there!:rolleyes: ;)

freefall
04-06-2007, 21:26
It's been years since I've transferred a half gallon to my midsection. Seems to me the biggest part of the challenge might keeping it there!:rolleyes: ;)

OMG!!! I felt so ill after trying this that I wanted to die! I had planned on hiking on that afternoon but ended up at the Iron Masters instead. Should've gone for the half of a half gallon challenge instead....
But on the upside, I saw an animal I had never seen before, something like a mink...

emerald
04-06-2007, 22:42
You were probably just hallucinating.;)

freefall
04-06-2007, 23:41
You were probably just hallucinating.;)

LOL! I thought so too but I pointed it out to the lady that ran Iron Masters and she told me what thee name is. Not sure now, but it is in the mink family and lives iin PA.

emerald
04-06-2007, 23:59
You really were messed up! Someone told you you stink and you thought you saw a mink or some other member of the weasel family?

Come on, and lay off the ice cream! Tell the truth, you're halfway into a half now, aren't you?

freefall
04-07-2007, 00:10
You really were messed up! Someone told you you stink and you thought you saw a mink or some other member of the weasel family?

Come on, and lay off the ice cream! Tell the truth, you're halfway into a half now, aren't you?

LOL! But no she told me of this mink like creature that roams the area. Was released by the Europeans for hunting no doubt. Showed me a picture in her book. If I weren't drinking I'd look it up. But i am so you just gotta take my word on it. Otherwise it might turn in to a great big Yetti looking thing....:D

emerald
04-07-2007, 00:49
Go to bed freefall. You'll feel better in the morning.

freefall
04-07-2007, 00:53
Go to bed freefall.:|) You'll feel better in the morning.
Actually, I'm headin' out (not driving) but I promise tommorrow I will find the link to the animal of which I speak!