PDA

View Full Version : Gear List....

EWS
04-07-2007, 00:11
I'm getting my gear list in order for next year. I think I have a decent handle on it, but any suggestions, additions, or deletions would be greatly appreciated. The numbers follwoing are the weights of the times.

Item Weight Pack
Osprey Atmos 50 51
Osprey UL Cover 4.25
Compass 1
Whistle 1
Stuff Sack x2 4
Camelbak Omega 70oz 6.3
Grocery Store Water Bottle 1

Camp
Big Anges Zirkel 20°F 35
Big Anges Instulate Air Core Long 23
Big Anges Stuff Sack & Repair Kit 1
Tarptent Contrail 24.5
Petzl Tikka XP LED 3.25

Kitchen
Brass Lite Turbo II-D 2.6
Windscreen 1.5
Evernew 1.3L 4.9
Anti Gravity Gear Cozy 1.3
Pot Scrubber 0.25
Brass Light Alcohol Bottle 1.5
Gatorade "bowl" or MSR Titian Cup 2
Lexan Spoon 0.5
Swiss Army Climber 3.2
Bic Mini Lighter x2 1
ULA Amigo 8

Clothing
Poly T-Shirt 4 REI Conv Sahara need 2, 1 weight listed 12.5
Smartwool Light Hiker Socks x2 5.8
Mountain Hardwear Nut Shell Gaitors 4
Marmot Precip Jacket 13
Marmot Precip Pants 9
Crocs Cayman 15
Seattle Sombrero 3.2
Sunglasses 2

Toiletries
MSR Personal Body Towel 4
Dr Bronners Soap 4
Hand Sanitizer 4
First Aid Kit 8
Tooth Brush and Paste 3
Capstick 1
Mirror 0.5
Bandana 1
Body Glide

Accy
Antigravitygear Trline 1
Duct Tape 1
Floss and Needle 1

Totaling about 17.5lbs

This doesn't count the stuff I'll be wearing: extra pair of shorts and poly-t for the summer, and a fleece, poly underoos and gloves for the colder months.

The only thing I'm seriously questioning my choice of is the water filter. I have a Katadyn Pocket, but it is to heavy for this trip, and I'm not sure if the ULA Amgio is the way to go, though I do prefer filter my water rather than treating.

All tips are apprecaited.

ShakeyLeggs
04-07-2007, 01:03
I'm getting my gear list in order for next year. I think I have a decent handle on it, but any suggestions, additions, or deletions would be greatly appreciated. The numbers follwoing are the weights of the times.

Item Weight Pack
Osprey Atmos 50 51
Osprey UL Cover 4.25
Compass 1
Whistle 1
Stuff Sack x2 4
Camelbak Omega 70oz 6.3

Camp
Big Anges Zirkel 20°F 35
Tarptent Contrail 24.5
Petzl Tikka XP LED 3.25

Kitchen
Windscreen 1.5
Evernew 1.3L 4.9
Pot Scrubber 0.25
Lexan Spoon 0.5
Swiss Army Climber 3.2
Bic Mini Lighter x2 1
ULA Amigo 8

Clothing
Marmot Precip Jacket 13
Marmot Precip Pants 9
Crocs Cayman 15
Seattle Sombrero 3.2
Sunglasses 2

Toiletries
Dr Bronners Soap 4
Hand Sanitizer 4
First Aid Kit 8
Tooth Brush and Paste 3
Capstick 1
Mirror 0.5
Bandana 1
Body Glide

Accy
Antigravitygear Trline 1
Duct Tape 1
Floss and Needle 1

Totaling about 17.5lbs

This doesn't count the stuff I'll be wearing: extra pair of shorts and poly-t for the summer, and a fleece, poly underoos and gloves for the colder months.

The only thing I'm seriously questioning my choice of is the water filter. I have a Katadyn Pocket, but it is to heavy for this trip, and I'm not sure if the ULA Amgio is the way to go, though I do prefer filter my water rather than treating.

Great list you have a pretty good handle on it. the only suggestions I can make are minor and are;

I would dump the compass. You really won't need it. The trail is well marked and where it is a bit sketchy it is eay to find again.

Also the mirror I would dump. Really no need for it that I can see.

Good job and good have a great time in the planing stages.

hopefulhiker
04-07-2007, 07:19
Really like your gear list. agree no need for the mirror, but for 1 oz I would keep the compass...

EWS
04-07-2007, 07:44
Thanks for the advice.

I'll try to find a new band for my watch that has a compass on it and take that, or I'll just go trash-style with it and duct-tape it to my arm ;)

I've been reading up on the tarptents on here. At 6'5" will I be comfortable in the Contrail, or will I need the Rainbow to keep from kicking and draggin my head through net?

TJ aka Teej
04-07-2007, 08:41
Skip the filter, screen out the floaties with some no-see-um netting and use drops. A compass isn't much use without a map, and the trail often goes E or W instead of NE and SW.
And don't worry too much about grams. Your "trail weight" will go up and down as you eat and drink the water and food you carry, get covered in mud and dirt and/or rain soaked clothes, pick up or discard toys, even the body weight you lose, etc. An once or three (or sixteen) isn't going to ruin your hike.

SGT Rock
04-07-2007, 09:08

Item Weight Pack
Osprey Atmos 50 51
Osprey UL Cover 4.25
Compass 1
Whistle 1
Stuff Sack x2 4
Camelbak Omega 70oz 6.3

This is just what I would do - ignore it if you want:
Get rid of the whistle
Get two granet gear air bags and save a couple of ounces
trade in the camel back for a platy 80 ounce and save 5 ounces

Saved: 1/2 pound

Camp
Big Anges Zirkel 20°F 35
Tarptent Contrail 24.5
Petzl Tikka XP LED 3.25

Kitchen
Windscreen 1.5
Evernew 1.3L 4.9
Pot Scrubber 0.25
Lexan Spoon 0.5
Swiss Army Climber 3.2
Bic Mini Lighter x2 1
ULA Amigo 8

get rid of pot scrubber (germs) and use leaves off the ground
get rid of Amigo and go with polar pure, then get a small container of powdered Vit C to knock the iodine out later.
Trade knife for Swiss army classic http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=595!093&csurl=%2Fistar%2Easp%3Fa%3D3%26dept%3D01%26class%3 D09%26
Savings: over 1/2 pound

Clothing
Marmot Precip Jacket 13
Marmot Precip Pants 9
Crocs Cayman 15
Seattle Sombrero 3.2
Sunglasses 2

Seems a little light on the clothing, but I don't know when you plan to start or how well you handel cold weather. I would only take one extra T shirt instead of two like you are planning here. I also notice you list your worn clothing at the end yet have your gaiters listed here, are you planning to carry them most of the time? Same for the hat? also just my opinion, but except for a couple of weeks at the start (possibly, based on when you start) you will spend most of the time in the shade so sunglasses are not that needed, especially if you have a hat brim already.

Finally, just my opinion, but crocs at close to a pound are not something I would plan to carry just to wear around camp and stuff a few hours a day.

However, what I do not see is layer top and bottom, warm hat, and warm gloves. IMO those extra items to add once you stop moving (when hitting camp) in cold weather is more vital for both comfort and safety than gaiters, camp shoes, and sun glasses. From my experience, if you plan to hike in the warmer layers you list below, then your body will get use to that level of heat when you are active. Once you stop your body will stop generating that extra heat and then you will need to add some insulation from your pack to adjust. Saying that, I realize everyone is different and clothing is one of the hardest places to give advice because I don't know how you hack the cold.

Toiletries
Dr Bronners Soap 4
Hand Sanitizer 4
First Aid Kit 8
Tooth Brush and Paste 3
Capstick 1
Mirror 0.5
Bandana 1
Body Glide
Cut the towel in half or even quarters.
DR Bronners and Hand sanatizer at 4 ounces each? You realize that is a half a pound of hand wash? IMO cut down to one small bottle and you will end up at places to take showers about ever week that typically have soap available. 2 ounce of hand sanatizer should last you between stops, then check the hiker box before buying more. Mirror? Who cares what you look like on the trail? - They will be where you take showers and stuff. Finally - Cut the handle on your toothbrush :D

Finally, go thru your first aid kit and optimize it. I have been using a 4 ounce kit for years and it even contains stuff like sewing needles, buttons, spare batteries, and super glue. Too often those things are way over stocked.

Savings: could be up to a pound depending on what you do.

Accy
Antigravitygear Trline 1
Duct Tape 1
Floss and Needle 1

Totaling about 17.5lbs

Finally, things I am not seeing:
Camera?
Journal?
Maps (what will the compass do for you if you don't know which way to go?)
Trail Guide

Feel free to ignore me on any advice. Looks like you have a solid basis for your pack.

EWS
04-07-2007, 09:38
Wow, thank you very much for going it over in such detail. Notes taken!

rafe
04-07-2007, 09:52
EWS, for what it's worth... I carry a tiny keychain compass/thermometer -- about 1 oz worth -- and I'd never hike without it. I've never needed it, but it gives me some peace of mind. There are other provisions like that in my pack as well -- e.g., whistle, needle and thread, sleeping-pad "repair kit" etc. I prefer having real maps with me, not just the data book. Same deal; the extra info might come in handy if you need to bail, for any reason. I can't imagine why Rock tells you to ditch the whistle. Those few grams could save your life.

Lilred
04-07-2007, 10:07
I read somewhere that a whistle is useless in the backcountry because it can't really be heard from a distance. What works better is a rock banging against a pot. For some reason, the sound of metal being banged travels farther than a whistle sound. I don't remember the science behind it.

EWS
04-07-2007, 10:18
This is just what I would do - ignore it if you want:
Get rid of the whistle
Get two granet gear air bags and save a couple of ounces
trade in the camel back for a platy 80 ounce and save 5 ounces
Saved: 1/2 pound

Those are great options that I hadn't really considered. Dropping the rape whistle would make me feel a bit more manly too :D

get rid of pot scrubber (germs) and use leaves off the ground
get rid of Amigo and go with polar pure, then get a small container of powdered Vit C to knock the iodine out later.
Trade knife for Swiss army classic http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=595!093&csurl=%2Fistar%2Easp%3Fa%3D3%26dept%3D01%26class%3 D09%26 (http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=595%21093&csurl=%2Fistar%2Easp%3Fa%3D3%26dept%3D01%26class%3 D09%26)
Savings: over 1/2 pound

I see the benefits of losing the scrubber and the knife, and will do. The filter on the other hand I'm a bit more reluctant to do...

Seems a little light on the clothing, but I don't know when you plan to start or how well you handel cold weather. I would only take one extra T shirt instead of two like you are planning here. I also notice you list your worn clothing at the end yet have your gaiters listed here, are you planning to carry them most of the time? Same for the hat? also just my opinion, but except for a couple of weeks at the start (possibly, based on when you start) you will spend most of the time in the shade so sunglasses are not that needed, especially if you have a hat brim already.

I'm going to head north the first week of March. I was only planning on one extra T shirt. I forgot to space out the converti-pants, which I'm going to carry two "shorts" parts and one leg part, with the t-shirt. I'll probably take the gaiters for the first couple of weeks, if there is snow, and then send them home.

Finally, just my opinion, but crocs at close to a pound are not something I would plan to carry just to wear around camp and stuff a few hours a day.

What do you recommend for a second set of footwear, or do you carry any?

However, what I do not see is layer top and bottom, warm hat, and warm gloves. IMO those extra items to add once you stop moving (when hitting camp) in cold weather is more vital for both comfort and safety than gaiters, camp shoes, and sun glasses. From my experience, if you plan to hike in the warmer layers you list below, then your body will get use to that level of heat when you are active. Once you stop your body will stop generating that extra heat and then you will need to add some insulation from your pack to adjust. Saying that, I realize everyone is different and clothing is one of the hardest places to give advice because I don't know how you hack the cold.

I have pretty thick blood during the winter. I figured the poly underwear set (listed at the end), along with pants, a long sleeve shirt, and waterproofs, and a pair of windproof fleece gloves would be sufficent. I may re-think bringing a pair of proper winter gloves, and will throw a beenie in as well.

Cut the towel in half or even quarters.
DR Bronners and Hand sanatizer at 4 ounces each? You realize that is a half a pound of hand wash? IMO cut down to one small bottle and you will end up at places to take showers about ever week that typically have soap available. 2 ounce of hand sanatizer should last you between stops, then check the hiker box before buying more. Mirror? Who cares what you look like on the trail? - They will be where you take showers and stuff. Finally - Cut the handle on your toothbrush

You think that I need more than half a pound of handwash? I'll get one of the pump bottles of sanatizer then ;) That's an easy 7 ounces saved when the towl is cut too.

Finally, go thru your first aid kit and optimize it. I have been using a 4 ounce kit for years and it even contains stuff like sewing needles, buttons, spare batteries, and super glue. Too often those things are way over stocked.

I've just got to break myself of the habit of carring too many pills, since there are towns every couple of days.

Savings: could be up to a pound depending on what you do. Actually about 2lbs, once I drop some pills :eek:

Finally, things I am not seeing:
Camera?
Journal?
Maps (what will the compass do for you if you don't know which way to go?)
Trail Guide

I just don't want to count those things since they're so dang heavy:o

Thanks again!

EWS
04-07-2007, 10:23
I read somewhere that a whistle is useless in the backcountry because it can't really be heard from a distance. What works better is a rock banging against a pot. For some reason, the sound of metal being banged travels farther than a whistle sound. I don't remember the science behind it.

I would imagine it would be because the whistle is at such a high frequency that is easy dampned, even by moisture in the air, and the banging is at a lower frequency.

Appalachian Tater
04-07-2007, 10:35
Don't forget earplugs and fingernail clippers.

You can get one-ounce bottles of hand sanitizer. Baby butt wipes are also quite useful.

I agree with Sgt. Rock about the knife--the scissors are more useful than you would imagine. Also, you can get 99 cent flip-flops that weigh only a couple of ounces.

Water treatment is a well-debated topic in other threads. Basically, you can go without or use chemicals or use a filter. If one of the latter two, then you have to make a decision about what to use.
In addition to maps and trail guides, Baltimore Jack's resupply guide is extremely helpful. You can always break down your guides into sections and mail them.

Really go over your clothing list. You want the minimum amount of clothes to assure safety and comfort. If you have two of anything, ask yourself if you need both of them, remembering that you need to be able to change into dry clothes if you are cold and have something to wear while washing in town. But you probably don't need long underpants and two pairs of long pants and gaiters. You don't need two short sleeve shirts and two long sleeve shirts. You don't need a raincoat and a wind shirt. (I know you don't have all of these things, I'm just making a point!) Think about being warm and wet while hiking and cold and wet when not moving. Don't count on things drying out overnight--many mornings you will have to put on cold, wet clothes. Some may disagree, but I think you do need three pairs of socks.

rickb
04-07-2007, 10:40
Big Anges Stuff Sack & Repair Kit 1 You might consider leaving the repair kit home. Here is a poll on the experience of Thermarest users. YMMV. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4082&highlight=thermarest+repair+kit

Garbage Bags

A garbage bag liner inside a sleeping stuff sack offers a great deal benefit for the weight. Besides rain, your gear can get wet from a packed tent, or wet clothing. I also keep a dedicated garbage bag to line the stuff sack food bag I hang up a tree.

Blister Care

Duct Tape might be enough to have in your first aid kit, but I still hold fast to the idea that a sheet of moleskin is worth the weight. Here is a poll on what WBers use: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7676&highlight=treat+blister

Socks

WHile I think I am in the distinct minority on this, I am convinced that extra pairs of clean socks (perhaps form different manufacturers) are worth the weight and expense. Especially for the first couple hundred miles. They can be used to adjust boot/sneaker fit, or just as an attitude adjustment when everything else is cold and wet. Even if they don't stay warm and dry for long.

Mirror

Good for tick checks if you are so inclined. Useless otherwise.

SGT Rock
04-07-2007, 11:07

That was me that wrote that. It had to do from practical experience doing searches for lost students on the land navigation course at Ft Knox KY. We issued all our students whistles back in the day - but ended up chasing birds and following wierd echo patterns down in the hollers. Then we had a student that lost his whistle get smart and bang his canteen cup with a rock. No mistaking what metal on metal sounds like - it does not any any way sound like any other noise in the wilderness, while a whistle at a long distance can be mistaken for other noises.

Those are great options that I hadn't really considered. Dropping the rape whistle would make me feel a bit more manly too

I see the benefits of losing the scrubber and the knife, and will do. The filter on the other hand I'm a bit more reluctant to do...

And you have to go with what makes you feel comfortable. Sometimes when you have decided on a plan of action it gets hard to unconvince yourself. Personally I can say I once tried that solution and decided to go back to iodine. I am planning my thru next year and have a polar pure bottle which should last the entire trip, and some powdered Vit C to nutralize the iodine. I have been using that solution on a couple of recent hikes and love it for the low weight, low cost, low effort, and simplicity - plus the reliability of the system. Plus no taste ;)

I'm going to head north the first week of March. I was only planning on one extra T shirt. I forgot to space out the converti-pants, which I'm going to carry two "shorts" parts and one leg part, with the t-shirt. I'll probably take the gaiters for the first couple of weeks, if there is snow, and then send them home.

Been there done that. Let me make a suggestion: one pair of shorts (not covertable) and your rain pants you already plan to wear. That should solve your issues and keep your load light.

What do you recommend for a second set of footwear, or do you carry any?

I hike in trail runners. Back in the day I used to carry trail runners as my second set of shoes. Now that I hike in that level of footware I don't see a need for any extra footware - I just open them up and wear them like slippers in camp. I did have some very light sandles for a while I carried that weighed like 6 ounces - if I were to add something like that back in I might choose those. Or you could always get some shower shoes from the PX ;)

I have pretty thick blood during the winter. I figured the poly underwear set (listed at the end), along with pants, a long sleeve shirt, and waterproofs, and a pair of windproof fleece gloves would be sufficent. I may re-think bringing a pair of proper winter gloves, and will throw a beenie in as well.

You think that I need more than half a pound of handwash? I'll get one of the pump bottles of sanatizer then That's an easy 7 ounces saved when the towl is cut too.

I've just got to break myself of the habit of carring too many pills, since there are towns every couple of days.

Actually about 2lbs, once I drop some pills

I just don't want to count those things since they're so dang heavy

Thanks again!
Good luck

g8trh8tr
04-07-2007, 11:25
Also if you need a whistle the Atmos 50 has a built in whistle on the sternum strap. Enjoy your hike.

ShakeyLeggs
04-07-2007, 11:43
As for the knife here is what I carry;

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/index.php?cPath=21_31

Just a suggestion YMMV

flyfisher
04-07-2007, 14:22
I had not seen anyone comment on it so far, but to carry a three pound pack built to carry 35 pounds of gear when you are carrying less than 20 pounds seems like a waste. I think that you can find several sub 1 pound packs to carry your 15 pounds of gear. Suggestions: GoLite, Gossamer Gear, ULA, Fanatic Fringe.

dloome
04-07-2007, 20:43
A compass isn't much use without a map, and the trail often goes E or W instead of NE and SW.

huh?

I would lose these things:
-Camelback. Use a Platy.
-gaiters
-crocs
-rain hat
-body towel
-mirror
-reduce size of first aid kit
-hand sanitizer (use your alcohol fuel)
-filter. People STILL carry these on the AT?

-compass, unless you actually know how to use one correctly, and expect to use it. On the AT I seriously doubt you'd ever need it. Maybe if you encounter a LOT of snow, no one has been on the trail before you so it's totally obscured, AND you can't see any blazes or other trail sign, it could be helpful for map orientation or limited cross country travel, I can't seem to think of any other scenario where you might want one. Unless you REALLY know how to use a map in conjunction with an actual baseplate or sighting compass, it's more likely to just confuse you anyway. Heading cross country without knowing exactly what you're doing is pretty dumb.

The AT is a hiker freeway and has great maps available for it, you really shouldn't need one. What kind of compass is it, anyway?

You could easily lighten up on several other things, but nothing is really excessive. So if the weight doesn't bother you, go for it.

EWS
04-07-2007, 23:48
Don't forget earplugs and fingernail clippers.

You can get one-ounce bottles of hand sanitizer. Baby butt wipes are also quite useful.

I agree with Sgt. Rock about the knife--the scissors are more useful than you would imagine. Also, you can get 99 cent flip-flops that weigh only a couple of ounces.

Water treatment is a well-debated topic in other threads. Basically, you can go without or use chemicals or use a filter. If one of the latter two, then you have to make a decision about what to use.
In addition to maps and trail guides, Baltimore Jack's resupply guide is extremely helpful. You can always break down your guides into sections and mail them.

Really go over your clothing list. You want the minimum amount of clothes to assure safety and comfort. If you have two of anything, ask yourself if you need both of them, remembering that you need to be able to change into dry clothes if you are cold and have something to wear while washing in town. But you probably don't need long underpants and two pairs of long pants and gaiters. You don't need two short sleeve shirts and two long sleeve shirts. You don't need a raincoat and a wind shirt. (I know you don't have all of these things, I'm just making a point!) Think about being warm and wet while hiking and cold and wet when not moving. Don't count on things drying out overnight--many mornings you will have to put on cold, wet clothes. Some may disagree, but I think you do need three pairs of socks.

I noted the nail clippers and earplugs.

In Guatemala I caught some waterborne junk; I'm pretty sure that it was from lettuce that was washed in bad tap water. If I hadn't been in town I would've been in trouble. I spent the night curled up on the bathroom floor puking and crapping until the doctor opened the next day. I never want to got through that again, so even though I know the water maybe safer on the trail, I'll carry the extra weight. I may swap out the filter for chemical at some point, depending on how I feel/see about the water supply on the trail.

I think I'll bounce guides and maps, and just tear out what sections I need along the way.

Thanks for the advice, and I've never heard of Baltimore Jack's Resupply guide either, so I'll check it out.

EWS
04-07-2007, 23:57
You might consider leaving the repair kit home. Here is a poll on the experience of Thermarest users. YMMV. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4082&highlight=thermarest+repair+kit

Garbage Bags

A garbage bag liner inside a sleeping stuff sack offers a great deal benefit for the weight. Besides rain, your gear can get wet from a packed tent, or wet clothing. I also keep a dedicated garbage bag to line the stuff sack food bag I hang up a tree.

Blister Care

Duct Tape might be enough to have in your first aid kit, but I still hold fast to the idea that a sheet of moleskin is worth the weight. Here is a poll on what WBers use: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7676&highlight=treat+blister

Socks

WHile I think I am in the distinct minority on this, I am convinced that extra pairs of clean socks (perhaps form different manufacturers) are worth the weight and expense. Especially for the first couple hundred miles. They can be used to adjust boot/sneaker fit, or just as an attitude adjustment when everything else is cold and wet. Even if they don't stay warm and dry for long.

Mirror

Good for tick checks if you are so inclined. Useless otherwise.

I'm going to use a waterproofish stuff sack to keep my bag from becoming useless, and plan on keeping my tent on the outside of the bag. Moleskin and I are friends;) I keep a small sheet of it in my kit. I agree with you on the socks and carry two extra pair, as my feet sweat alot. Thanks for the advice.

EWS
04-08-2007, 00:13
And you have to go with what makes you feel comfortable. Sometimes when you have decided on a plan of action it gets hard to unconvince yourself. Personally I can say I once tried that solution and decided to go back to iodine. I am planning my thru next year and have a polar pure bottle which should last the entire trip, and some powdered Vit C to nutralize the iodine. I have been using that solution on a couple of recent hikes and love it for the low weight, low cost, low effort, and simplicity - plus the reliability of the system. Plus no taste ;)

I think I may carry both to begin with, it is redundant I know. But it'll give me a chance to test out the drops along the way, which I probably wouldn't do otherwise, and I'll drop one after a short while anyways.

Been there done that. Let me make a suggestion: one pair of shorts (not covertable) and your rain pants you already plan to wear. That should solve your issues and keep your load light.

What you're saying is, if I started off wearing "normal" pants, pack one set of shorts and rain pants?

What about poly long-john pants? I was going to take a thin set of Patagonias that I already have, and have never used.:rolleyes: The only time I've actually worse long-john pants was while snow-boarding, and they were the thick brown poly issued ones, and I only wore them and goretex climbing pants, nothing else. My legs rarely get cold, unless I'm doing nothing for a while. I think that with "normal" pants and rain pants I should be alright, as the temps don't look like they get too cold.

I hike in trail runners. Back in the day I used to carry trail runners as my second set of shoes. Now that I hike in that level of footware I don't see a need for any extra footware - I just open them up and wear them like slippers in camp. I did have some very light sandles for a while I carried that weighed like 6 ounces - if I were to add something like that back in I might choose those. Or you could always get some shower shoes from the PX ;)

I think that I'll be able to get my pack weight low enough, so I can use trail runners. Leave the hiking boots at home is a hard break the habit, but I want to and will break it. The 99 cent shower shoes from the PX suck;) They had Addias ones on sale here for $5 a while back, and if you worse a size 8 or 14 you were set. I love them but they weigh more than the 99 cent ones.

Thanks again

EWS
04-08-2007, 00:20
I had not seen anyone comment on it so far, but to carry a three pound pack built to carry 35 pounds of gear when you are carrying less than 20 pounds seems like a waste. I think that you can find several sub 1 pound packs to carry your 15 pounds of gear. Suggestions: GoLite, Gossamer Gear, ULA, Fanatic Fringe.

By the time I'd throw in water, food and fuel for some of the longer sections it'll creep up close to 35lbs; even for only four days it'll be just shy of 30lbs if my water bottles are full.

EWS
04-08-2007, 00:22
Also if you need a whistle the Atmos 50 has a built in whistle on the sternum strap. Enjoy your hike.

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks. Hopefully, it'll show up before I go on R&R so I can do some hiking.

EWS
04-08-2007, 00:34
huh?

I would lose these things:
-Camelback. Use a Platy. Will Do
-gaiters Done
-crocs Done
-rain hat I'll take it and may ship it home.
-body towel Will cut it in half
-mirror Done
-reduce size of first aid kit Will do
-hand sanitizer (use your alcohol fuel) Will carry a small bottle, I can just see myslef dumping my fuel supply on the trail
-filter. People STILL carry these on the AT? I've never stepped foot on the trial, as I've spent nine of the last ten years overseas. I'm going to take it and chemicals to being with and will dump one rather quickly.

-compass, unless you actually know how to use one correctly, and expect to use it. On the AT I seriously doubt you'd ever need it. Maybe if you encounter a LOT of snow, no one has been on the trail before you so it's totally obscured, AND you can't see any blazes or other trail sign, it could be helpful for map orientation or limited cross country travel, I can't seem to think of any other scenario where you might want one. Unless you REALLY know how to use a map in conjunction with an actual baseplate or sighting compass, it's more likely to just confuse you anyway. Heading cross country without knowing exactly what you're doing is pretty dumb.

The AT is a hiker freeway and has great maps available for it, you really shouldn't need one. What kind of compass is it, anyway?

I know how to use a map and compass. I'm starting to believe the "highway" thing and can see that it'd be of little use, and will just probably take my Suunto watch that has a less than accurate one built in.

You could easily lighten up on several other things, but nothing is really excessive. So if the weight doesn't bother you, go for it.

Thanks for your advice!

EWS
04-08-2007, 00:38
With everyones advice, I should be at about 15-15.5lbs dry weight, not including a camera, journal, and guide. Thanks all!

SGT Rock
04-08-2007, 08:42
What you're saying is, if I started off wearing "normal" pants, pack one set of shorts and rain pants?

What about poly long-john pants? I was going to take a thin set of Patagonias that I already have, and have never used.:rolleyes: The only time I've actually worse long-john pants was while snow-boarding, and they were the thick brown poly issued ones, and I only wore them and goretex climbing pants, nothing else. My legs rarely get cold, unless I'm doing nothing for a while. I think that with "normal" pants and rain pants I should be alright, as the temps don't look like they get too cold.

It is always hard for me to give advice about clothing because there are so many types of people out there when it comes to how you hack cold and weather. I was stationed in Germany with a guy raised in Alaska and he would still run around in shorts when there was snow on the ground, and I have also seen many people that had a mostly urban indoor living background freezing with a pile of clothing on in the 50s. That said, here is what I normally reccomend:

Worn clothing:
Hat
T Shirt
Shorts
Socks (mine are liners)
Shoes or boots (non goretex)
Underwear (if you wear it)

Extra clothing:
Extra shirt (mine is a wind shirt)
Extra socks (liners for me)
Extra underwear (if you wear them)

Rain Gear:
Jacket
Pants
Rain mittens if you like them
Goretex over socks if you plan on hitting bad weather

Level one (carried, worn when needed)
Long polypro top
Long polypro bottom
Fleece Hat
glove liners
warm socks

Level two (for camping when you expect below freezing)
Insulated top
Insulated pants
neck gaiter or balaclava
fleece mittens
warmer socks

Layers and planning: So you start walking in just the shorts and shirt level, If it is cool you can throw on your long top and bottom as needed. This level with a rain shell outside can get me down to about 35 degrees because it keeps me dry, blocks the wind, and holds in some heat. If it gets too bad I crawl into the sleeping bag (always the last line of defense). If I am hiking in really cold weather or camping in the colder weather - then I have level two clothing to fall back on. I can also pick what to carry in my pack based on forcasted weather - so if it isn't going to be to bad, then I carry the appropriate levels. If I am going to say, Slickrock Creek in August, then I can leave level one and two behind.

Strategy: When you need long pants, you have the rain pants. No need for extra long pants when you already have some. When you need to do laundry in town, the rain pants are what you wear while the rest is washing. About extra clothing - I don't see much use for it since what you wear on the trail will get dirty. If you wear a pair of shorts until it gets dirty and then change it, then you will just be carrying a set of dirty shorts and getting another set dirty too. They both end up just as nasty. Add to that the camp clothing option - I have found that messing around cooking, building fires, sitting on dirt and such that camp clothing ends up just as nasty as the stuff I hike in anyway, so clean set of camp clothing ain't really all that and a pack of peanuts.

Reasoning: If it gets really cold, then I go to the insulated clothing. I have found that lofted insulation like field jacket liners, tops like the Patagonia pullover, or down jackets will compress better and have more loft for the weight than heavier fleece, so I don't normally reccomend using heavy expensive fleece when a $10 surplus field jacket liner is about as warm and a lot lighter while taking up less space.

Weight and redundancy: And with all that, it is a simple layering system. My worn clothing weighs about 3 pounds including footwear. My extra clothing weighs about 6 ounces. My rain clothing, level one, and level two clothing are all ABOUT 1.5 pounds each. So total clothing carried is less than 5 pounds and has done me well in snow and temps down into the single digits. Everything has a use, and except for one pair of socks and one pair of underwear (about 3 ounces) all my other clothing servers it's own purpose and compliments something else in the clothing system when layered together.

Just Jeff
04-08-2007, 09:24
Walmart has a little whistle/compass/magnifying glass/LED/thermometer for ~$8 and probably less than an ounce. I have the one w/o the LED and carry it on my shoulder strap.

rafe
04-08-2007, 09:40
Walmart has a little whistle/compass/magnifying glass/LED/thermometer for ~$8 and probably less than an ounce. I have the one w/o the LED and carry it on my shoulder strap.

Here's (http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Comet-Compass-with-Thermometer/dp/B000FEWA9A) what I carry. Clipped to my pack. And yes, it's well under 1 oz. Suunto makes this one. REI has a cheap generic clone (which I don't recommend.)

mountain squid
04-08-2007, 12:22
Most has been covered already, but here is my .02 worth:

keep the crocs/waldies - very, very comfy at the end of the day. There must be some reason that alot of people carry them:-?.
keep the whistle - although it probably won't happen to you, if you do fall down the side of a mt and can barely move, will you be able to reach your pot to bang with:confused:? Keep the whistle and keep it on your shoulder strap as JustJeff mentioned...(Yes, I realize that Osprey might have incorporated a whistle into the sternum buckle - info for those who don't have an Osprey pack.)
TP - not on the list, but I'm sure you wouldn't forget it:D.
extra ziplocks
hiking poles
sunscreen - no leaves on the trees
50' nylon cord - What is Trline? Is that like triptease? Triptease 'might' cut into a branch suspending your food in midair...

Also don't forget ID, atm/credit/phone cards and important phone #'s.

Otherwise, as noted, a good list. Don't underestimate the comfort of camp shoes. I wear mine not only around camp, but also when going down to a watersource and 'sometimes' in town...my feet aren't 'tough' enough to be comfortable with flip-flops hiking 1/2 mi to get water at the end of the day...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mountain squid
04-08-2007, 12:36
Found the Trline:http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=237

Looks like it should work without cutting into a tree limb...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

EWS
04-08-2007, 23:28
Thanks Sgt. Rock. You're clothing system does make sense and I believe I'm going to adopt it.

EWS
04-08-2007, 23:39
The big debate looks like it is over the whistle and compass. I got my pack in last night, and the Atmos 50 I recieved did NOT have whistle with it. Regardless, a whistle wieghs one ounce and is a little peace of mind. As far as the compass, thermometer, etc., goes I have a Suunto watch S6 (I believe) that has a compass, thermometer, barometer, altimeter, etc built in, which I'll bring along.

TP is for sissies. If you can clean your pot out with leaves, why can you wipe your butt off with natures finest? But I suppose I'm a sissy, so I'll be carrying TP.

I'm still not certain about the camp shoes, but I have plenty of time to decide. As of now, if I can find some of the old Salamon trial-runners that I loved, I'll probably go without the camp shoes.

Thanks all for the advice!

EWS
04-18-2007, 01:50
After all of the great suggestions. I've went through and recomplied my gear list. I did an UL lists, by my standards, as well. The three pound drop looks really nice, though I'm slightly appreheinsive about the gearskin.

Now... does it look more complete and reasonable? Any suggestions?