PDA

View Full Version : Pay It Forward

freefall
04-07-2007, 00:27
I'm currently watching the movie on TBS and wondering, has anyone paid it forward on the trail?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-07-2007, 06:34
A better question might be "Has anyone NOT paid it forward on the trail?". The vast majority of serious hikers do this on a regular basis and it is what makes the hiking community so special.
(a link for anyone who is not familar with the Pay it Forward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_it_forward) movement)

Wanderingson
04-07-2007, 07:59
Funny, I never knew it had a name, but something I was taught as a youngster and has become engrained in my personality.

Slosteppin
04-07-2007, 08:24
I saw the movie.

OTOH, I was taught very early in life that when you see someone needs help, you help if you can. Because you might be the next one who needs help.
My 4 WD pickup has pulled a lot of cars out of snow banks.

Slosteppin

Furlough
04-07-2007, 08:35
As my First - First Sergeant would have said - That's just good home training.
(although there would have been a colorful expletive begining with F between good and home)

Furlough

TJ aka Teej
04-07-2007, 08:43
It was called the Golden Rule when I was growing up.

insure ants
04-07-2007, 10:47
I like to pay forward even when I'm not on the trail. Last fall, for example, I paid my office lease through expiration in July 07. Most others continue to pay each month at the end of the month, which for some with a variable cash flow is not very comfortable. If you get some extra income, pay it forward and enjoy the peace of mind.

Gaiter
04-07-2007, 10:55
i think so many of us hikers realize the importance of karma, so pay it foward becomes an instinct.
What about the free hugs campaign, has anyone done that on the trail? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_hugs

Wanderingson
04-07-2007, 11:07
i think so many of us hikers realize the importance of karma, so pay it foward becomes an instinct.
What about the free hugs campaign, has anyone done that on the trail? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_hugs

I tried the free hugs thing once, but thank goodness the judge dropped the stalking charges:banana

Appalachian Tater
04-07-2007, 11:14
I offered gas money for the ride into Hiawassee, she said "Pay it forward". I understood what she meant but didn't know about the movie, but someone explained it to me when I got to town. That made my first hitch-hike ever meaningful. People who pick up filthy hitch-hiking hikers have a special spot reserved for them in heaven.

Wonder
04-07-2007, 12:02
Its just a way to live your life. We've all had good things done for us....with nothing expected in return. If we can all live like that....the world would really be a beter place. Maybe I'd live there more often if that was the case.....for now, I"m home on the trail.

emerald
04-07-2007, 12:13
...home on the trail.

Isn't there a song by that title?

galaleemc
04-07-2007, 12:36
We've got work to do here......I'd love to see more. I get lots of thanks....but would love to see more necessary supplies and just pitching in to clean up the place. I've had my dinner bought once. And if only everyone would keep up and hang up their towels....sigh.