PDA

View Full Version : Kid Gore Shelter

poison_ivy
09-01-2003, 16:59
Shelter sleeps eight if you squeeze two to a bunk. There are four bunks and a table inside. The shelter has a pretty view of Somerset Reservoir. Also, several register entires note that a moose drops by occaisionally to much on the leaves. (Alas, we didn't see one.) I didn't check out the water source, but it was downhill from the shelter.) The privy was uphill and in fine shape. It's a very short walk off the trail from the nothern-most entrance.

I had an extended lunch at the shelter this weekend with great company!

-- Ivy

Kerosene
09-01-2003, 19:43
Does the porky chorus line still perform every night?

poison_ivy
09-02-2003, 08:12
I only lunched there so I can't speak from experience... but the most recent register entry was from a hiker who said he defended the fort from a porcupine invader during the night, so I'd suspect so.

:)

- Ivy

oruoja
11-21-2003, 07:49
Kid Gore along with David Logan (on LT north of Maine Jct) have been traditionally the most porkie infested. Back in the late 70's and early 80's it seemed that there were lots more of them. The cross bracings up front are new as to keep the shelter from swaying and coming apart.

Cosmo
08-10-2008, 17:51
May as well update this thread. Kid Gore is alive and well. Didn't see any porkies or moose there (July 08). Roof is in good shape, there were continuous thunderstorms the night I was there--no leaks. Nice double rainbow over the valley after the 1st storm.

Kid Gore's companion, Caughnawaga shelter is a sad pile of logs and timbers near it's former site. Probably time for it to come down, the carpenter ants were winning.

Cosmo

Chenango
08-11-2008, 15:49
May as well update this thread. Kid Gore is alive and well. Didn't see any porkies or moose there (July 08). Roof is in good shape, there were continuous thunderstorms the night I was there--no leaks. Nice double rainbow over the valley after the 1st storm.

Kid Gore's companion, Caughnawaga shelter is a sad pile of logs and timbers near it's former site. Probably time for it to come down, the carpenter ants were winning.

Cosmo

Cosmo - I had lunch at Kid Gore on Saturday. There was a guy there cleaning up. After he left I was reading the shelter register. Surprise. His name was Tim Gore, grandson of Kid Gore. His grandpappy would have been proud of him.

Yukon
08-11-2008, 15:53
Cosmo - I had lunch at Kid Gore on Saturday. There was a guy there cleaning up. After he left I was reading the shelter register. Surprise. His name was Tim Gore, grandson of Kid Gore. His grandpappy would have been proud of him.

Completely awesome when you hear stuff like this :)

mark schofield
06-15-2009, 07:47
The CT. chapter of the GMC spent a maintenance weekend at Kid Gore and the trail south to Glastonbury Peak and north about a mile to the vista. The shelter is in good shape (although not new like Goddard) and new tent sites added on the hill looking out towards the reservoir. The trail had a few blow downs, and we opened all the water bars. A nice weekend. Lots of moose poop. And a heavy rain saturday night. Mark S.

Tin Man
06-15-2009, 07:50
cool. didn't know the gmc had a ct chapter, but i'm not a member. thanks for volunteering.

Yukon
06-15-2009, 07:52
The CT. chapter of the GMC spent a maintenance weekend at Kid Gore and the trail south to Glastonbury Peak and north about a mile to the vista. The shelter is in good shape (although not new like Goddard) and new tent sites added on the hill looking out towards the reservoir. The trail had a few blow downs, and we opened all the water bars. A nice weekend. Lots of moose poop. And a heavy rain saturday night. Mark S.

Thanks for all the effort! :)

Cookerhiker
06-15-2009, 07:56
I stayed at Kid Gore on my LT hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=205060) 2 years ago. Admittedly it was in the midst of a bad drought but I'd still advise hikers that water availability at Kid Gore may be questionable. At least be prepared to drain cup-by-cup out of a puddle like I did.

Berserker
06-18-2010, 20:53
There is a spot for about 2 tents directly to the left and about 20' from the shelter (if facing out from the shelter). There is also a spot for 2 tents to the right. Take the trail to the privy, and there is a sign pointing to the trail for those spots.

dsquid
06-20-2010, 19:33
Was there yesterday (6/19/10). Water is running well just a bit down the trail at the ruins of the old shelter (about .10 north.) Good place to stop for lunch as the bugs seem to mostly ignore you here.

Cookerhiker
06-20-2010, 20:01
Did you see any porcupines?

dsquid
06-20-2010, 23:34
No, although it looked like one has been gnawing out the door of the Story Spring privy.

Shelter Pix
1 (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1311/4721648432_ca6634f63b_b.jpg), 2 (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1092/4721623222_76f4d5eefe_b.jpg), 3 (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1218/4721634718_74a0779d7c_b.jpg), 4 (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1095/4720977335_cbc30ea7d6_b.jpg)

burger
06-21-2010, 17:24
I stayed at Kid Gore last week (actually at the old Canawaugha shelter site just a hundred yards away). The GMC has put in several new tent sites, each with a nice view. It's a really nice shelter.

Tinker
06-21-2010, 22:31
I stayed at Kid Gore last week (actually at the old Canawaugha shelter site just a hundred yards away). The GMC has put in several new tent sites, each with a nice view. It's a really nice shelter.

Thanks for the update. It's nice to know that they have tent sites as both of the shelters (if they're the same ones I saw in the 1990s) are (were) quite old and tiny.

juma
10-11-2010, 20:18
I was at kid gore yesterday. the peak off the roof has some pretty big holes. wind seems to blow smoke from the fire in all the time.

swantekkie
02-28-2011, 18:48
i love to hear that kid gores grandson is keeping tradition alive, thats what its all about!:banana

Papa D
02-28-2011, 22:24
Kid Gore is one of those cool little shelters you sit in for a few minutes and decide how smart you were to carry a tent. Pretty place - view of Stratton Mountain out the front if memory serves me correctly.

Blissful
02-28-2011, 22:44
The tentsites down the trail leave much to be desired.

Monkeywrench
03-01-2011, 08:27
The tentsites down the trail leave much to be desired.

We've been working on improving the tenting situation at Kid Gore over the last few years. There is room for one tent on a level spot to the left front of the shelter. There is another leveled area big enough for a couple of tents to the front right. Follow the trail to the privy part way, then cut left, back to the edge of the clearing.

Monkeywrench
03-01-2011, 08:29
Kid Gore is one of those cool little shelters you sit in for a few minutes and decide how smart you were to carry a tent. Pretty place - view of Stratton Mountain out the front if memory serves me correctly.

Kid Gore faces south of east, and Stratton Mtn is just east of north from there. The view is of Somerset Reservoir, and the mountains beyond it to the east.

The sunrise is fantastic in October!

Jeff
03-01-2011, 08:48
Hey Monkeywrench,

I did not know you were helping maintain the Long Trail. Thanks for your work over the years. It is appreciated !!!

Monkeywrench
03-01-2011, 09:15
Hey Monkeywrench,

I did not know you were helping maintain the Long Trail. Thanks for your work over the years. It is appreciated !!!

I am a long time member of the Connecticut Section of the Green Mountain Club, having lived in Connecticut until 6 or 7 years ago, when I moved to the Boston area. The CT Section maintains the LT from the summit of Glastenbury Mtn to the crossing of the Arlington - West Wardsboro Rd., which includes Kid Gore and Story Spring Shelters.

We'll be up there in May, clearing winter blow-downs from the trail.