PDA

View Full Version : For those that hiked last year and used canister stoves.

Earl Grey
04-08-2007, 23:16
Did you find it easy to get cansiter fuel along the trail? What were the dry sections along the trail and did you ever run out of fuel?

Marta
04-09-2007, 07:50
I used a canister for more than half of my hike. I never actually ran out of fuel, but I worried about it a number of times. For example, in Williamstown, MA, I made a special stop to get fuel, and then the outfitter was out of stock. Fortunately, they had a partial can in their hiker box.

If you're willing to carry a spare, it's not much of an issue. The canisters last for a long, long time, and most outfitters have them.

Marta/Five-Leaf

humunuku
04-09-2007, 17:04
The canisters last for a long, long time, and most outfitters have them.

Marta/Five-Leaf

How long are most people getting out of the canisters?

I am using a sno-peak gigapower canister with my jetboil and so far have cooked 26 times*, (and there is still some fuel left in it).

* I am just boiling water (for freezer bag cooking), usually 1 to 1 1/4 cups of water at a time, most of the time have been in cold temps (<30 in the morning and 45-50 in the evening)

erock06
09-17-2007, 23:32
Used a MSR Pocket Rocket without trouble. I ran out of fuel once in Virginia when my filter broke and I had to boil water (carried Aqua Mira as backup after that). It's pretty easy to get the canisters along the way for the most part. Lots of times you can find an almost-empty one in a hiker box, or just carry a backup.

Also, if you're just boiling water you can make a small campfire, though that wouldn't work with a Jet-Boil thingie I'm sure. If you do run out most hikers would likely help you out somehow... that's just how they are!

Skidsteer
09-17-2007, 23:36
Also, if you're just boiling water you can make a small campfire, though that wouldn't work with a Jet-Boil thingie I'm sure.....

Why not? :confused:

Willow
09-22-2007, 23:09
Finding fuel wasn't ever really a problem but it could be expensive depending on where you were. I had to pay $15 for one 8oz canister in Pawling, NY.

rafe
09-22-2007, 23:14
I got about 2 weeks out of one large canister. I didn't find a resupply in PA. I picked up a fresh canister in Harpers Ferry, and another at the outfitter near Waynesboro.

SoonerTex
09-23-2007, 18:52
Why not? :confused:
I'm with you skids. I have a jetboil and I would just pull the cozie off and use with open fire if needed.

Jim Adams
09-23-2007, 23:24
I used a pocket rocket in 2002 and had no problem with finding cannisters back then. Most people were so paranoid about running out of fuel that they would discard 1/2 full or higher cannisters in hiker boxes everywhere that they could buy a new one. As a result I hiked the entire trail with only purchasing 2 new cannisters and using the discarded ones in the hiker boxes.
As far as lasting, I only use the stove at the end of the day and get about 2 weeks out of a cannister.

geek

chiefdaddy
10-11-2007, 08:12
Used a MSR Pocket Rocket without trouble. I ran out of fuel once in Virginia when my filter broke and I had to boil water (carried Aqua Mira as backup after that). It's pretty easy to get the canisters along the way for the most part. Lots of times you can find an almost-empty one in a hiker box, or just carry a backup.

Also, if you're just boiling water you can make a small campfire, though that wouldn't work with a Jet-Boil thingie I'm sure. If you do run out most hikers would likely help you out somehow... that's just how they are!

The jet boil cup with a clamp handle only turns black and smells like a camp fire if you use it over coals or fire, I take the cozy off and stick it on fast once I get a boil going. I wont have a pot unless I can do this.

dessertrat
10-11-2007, 09:37
This is one of the few things where carrying a spare is probably worth it for the peace of mind. However, even if you run out, if there is no fire ban, then you can always cook at the fire ring at a lean to. I know some folks disapprove, but until the ATC tells you campfires are no longer allowed, that's what they are there for.

Pedaling Fool
10-11-2007, 09:49
I used a Jetboil and, generally, had no problem getting canisters. I could not always find a Jetboil canister, but the Gigas and MSR canisters work just as good.

Two areas I could not find canisters were:
Delaware Water Gap
Shenandoah National Park

More Info: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=97824&postcount=1

twosticks
10-12-2007, 14:00
I used a Jetboil and, generally, had no problem getting canisters. I could not always find a Jetboil canister, but the Gigas and MSR canisters work just as good.

Two areas I could not find canisters were:
Delaware Water Gap
Shenandoah National Park

More Info: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=97824&postcount=1

The giga fuel is cheaper and apparently lasts longer than the jetboil fuel.